Home Non Cigar Related

Need a techie to help me

GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
Hey Guys, I bought a xbox 360 on black friday and am having a hard time thinking through how I am going to wire this bad boy up. I run a HD projector but this will be my first HD consol and my receiver has no HD in. I want to run the HDMI cable straight to the projector but then I bypass the surround sound. Aside from buying a new suround sound system is there any way to have my cake and eat it too? The only think I can think of is running the HDMI from the xbox to a splitter and then one HDMI cable to the projector and the other to a HDMI/Comsosite converter so I can run the composite to the speakers. I have no idea if that would actually work but its all I could think of.

Comments

• TeegeTeege Posts: 660
    Does your receiver have optical in?
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Well with your receiver only having composite in, Then you have to convert, Could you run s video on one and hdmi on the other for you video connections? If not then I would agree a hdmi splitter is the way to go, I know those are available
    Teege:
    Yes Optical would work too but only for video, not audio
    another way not sure if you have a vcr or dvr with hdmi in and composite rca out, You may be able to use that piece as a converter
    I may be Mistaken here Teege, Optical may also work,, Ill have to check....
    The Kid:
    Teege:
    Yes Optical would work too but only for video, not audio
    Think Im mistaken here,, the optical may be a audio only link, not video only like I stated. The Xbox does have an SPDIF port
    Guess you could always get one of these.... LINK
    The Kid:
    Think Im mistaken here,, the optical may be a audio only link, not video only like I stated. The Xbox does have an SPDIF port
    When I said that I was thinking if the receiver had optical he could run that to the receiver then HDMI to the projector but I wouldn't imagine it has optical input if its an older model.
    Do you also have sat/cable going to the surround sound???
    Teege:
    The Kid:
    When I said that I was thinking if the receiver had optical he could run that to the receiver then HDMI to the projector but I wouldn't imagine it has optical input if its an older model.
    I know, for some reason I thought the opt was vid only, Your suggestion would be Ideal, The receiver might have opt, I had an Older Harman Kardon 65 and I think it had opt.. DOnt think I ever used it though
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Teege:
    All I see is TV/Video in and a Digital In both of which are composite terminals.
    The Kid:
    Do you also have sat/cable going to the surround sound???
    No, just running everything off the internet via Wii
    The Kid:
    another way not sure if you have a vcr or dvr with hdmi in and composite rca out, You may be able to use that piece as a converter
    how bout this idea
    I dont have one but would that be after the splitter?
    The Kid:
    The Kid:
    how bout this idea
    PM by the way
    Goldy:
    The Kid:
    The Kid:
    how bout this idea
    PM by the way
    Not sure if the Pm was for me or Teege as I didnt receive one?
    The Kid:
    Goldy:
    The Kid:
    The Kid:
    how bout this idea
    PM by the way
    Nor did I
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Hey Goldy I had this same problem but alas it was short lived.
    Not many people know this but you can run both the digital and analog outputs from your xbox at the same time.
    Thats means you can run the HDMI straight to the projector and run the regular audio to your receiver. No extra equipment needed.

• kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    I am just a bit curious as well .... I bought the X-box 250hd bundle with two games on BF for 199shipped from Newegg no shipping or tax .... It's set for delivery today and I won't call myself a true audiophiles , but I thought sound goes through hdmi cables as well? I have an Onkyo receiver that supports 1.7 hdmi audio n video 3 inputs and 1 output into tv. Does the hdmi on the console only support video? Thanks guys.
    kingjk729:
    I am just a bit curious as well .... I bought the X-box 250hd bundle with two games on BF for 199shipped from Newegg no shipping or tax .... It's set for delivery today and I won't call myself a true audiophiles , but I thought sound goes through hdmi cables as well? I have an Onkyo receiver that supports 1.7 hdmi audio n video 3 inputs and 1 output into tv. Does the hdmi on the console only support video? Thanks guys.
    No HMDI does both but his receiver doesnt have that as an option so he would have that bypass his receiver and just run straight to the projector thus not running through his stereo. Or at least thats how I read it. But if yours has HDMI in and out on your receiver you are golden.
    stephen_hannibal:
    Not many people know this but you can run both the digital and analog outputs from your xbox at the same time.
    Thats means you can run the HDMI straight to the projector and run the regular audio to your receiver. No extra equipment needed.

How do you do that? When I looked at the back of the xbox it seemed to me that the cables were made in such a way that one would block the other unless I looked at the wrong ones. I will check when I get home.
    The Kid:
    Goldy:
    The Kid:
    The Kid:
    how bout this idea
    PM by the way
    it was to you Kid, not regarding the projector. Let me know if you got it or if the PM's are wigging out again.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Goldy:
    stephen_hannibal:

How do you do that? When I looked at the back of the xbox it seemed to me that the cables were made in such a way that one would block the other unless I looked at the wrong ones. I will check when I get home.
    I can plug both mine in at the same time.

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Goldy:
    Hey Guys, I bought a xbox 360 on black friday and am having a hard time thinking through how I am going to wire this bad boy up. I run a HD projector but this will be my first HD consol and my receiver has no HD in. I want to run the HDMI cable straight to the projector but then I bypass the surround sound. Aside from buying a new suround sound system is there any way to have my cake and eat it too? The only think I can think of is running the HDMI from the xbox to a splitter and then one HDMI cable to the projector and the other to a HDMI/Comsosite converter so I can run the composite to the speakers. I have no idea if that would actually work but its all I could think of.
    it can get confusing Brian, i had to draw mine out on a whiteboard!

"Long ashes my friends."

stephen_hannibal:
    Goldy:
    stephen_hannibal:

I can plug both mine in at the same time.

Mine has a plastic part that covers the HDMI port when the AV cable is plugged in. I saw something on youtube that said you can simply break this piece off but xbox made that piece like that for a reason so I am not too egar to start mashing the cables yet.
    Krieg:
    Goldy:
    it can get confusing Brian, i had to draw mine out on a whiteboard!
    Acutally my wife and I did draw it out on post it notes.
    Teege:
    Turns out that my receiver does indeed have optical in and the xbox has another similar looking port called s/pdif. Are these compatable?
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Teege:
    kingjk729:
    No HMDI does both but his receiver doesnt have that as an option so he would have that bypass his receiver and just run straight to the projector thus not running through his stereo. Or at least thats how I read it. But if yours has HDMI in and out on your receiver you are golden.

Thanks so much for the good news.
    Goldy:
    Teege:
    Turns out that my receiver does indeed have optical in and the xbox has another similar looking port called s/pdif. Are these compatable?
    Yes thats exactly what it is.
    Goldy:
    The Kid:
    Goldy:
    The Kid:
    The Kid:
    how bout this idea
    PM by the way
    it was to you Kid, not regarding the projector. Let me know if you got it or if the PM's are wigging out again.
    Sorry Goldy, the PM's must be wigging out, cause I never got it, and HowtoBass said he was PMng me earlier and I didnt get those either.. Looks like Teege's Idea on the Optical will work,, let us know K?