Home Cigar 101

The Best Relative Humidity %?

Hey Folks--  I have been "Cooking" my sticks at around 70% RH in my Humidor.  I have recently read some articles online that state 64-65% is much better.  Thoughts?

I tried searching this for this on the forum with no luck....so I am sorry if this topic has been discussed in previous threads.

Comments

• stern112:

Hey Folks--  I have been "Cooking" my sticks at around 70% RH in my Humidor.  I have recently read some articles online that state 64-65% is much better.  Thoughts?

I tried searching this for this on the forum with no luck....so I am sorry if this topic has been discussed in previous threads.

Look at this: http://www.tobaccoparadise.com/humidors.htm
  • kardar2:
    stern112:

now look at this: http://www.cigargroup.com/faq/ section 5.0a dont know which one is right,, but the latter makes sense to me
  • dep691dep691 Posts: 311
    stern112:

When it comes to RH levels in your Humidor it really comes down to how you like your cigars when you smoke them at different RH levels. I have a desk top humidor that i keep as a rotation Humidor that I keep between 60 and 65% RH. I have a cabinet that I have for long term aging and I keep it between 65 to 70 RH. I feel that for aging they do better at around 70% and cigars smoke better at around 65% IMO.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    my humidors are at 65% at all times. they just smoke better. I rarely get burn issues.
  • Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    I second that. Kuzi is dead on (as usual), when I switched mine to 65% I got a more consistant smoke.
  • JKTexJKTex Posts: 92
    mustluvcigars:
    kardar2:
    stern112:

now look at this: http://www.cigargroup.com/faq/ section 5.0a dont know which one is right,, but the latter makes sense to me

I'd tend to agree with you that the Cigargroup link is more accurate.  Although, most of us keep our humidors in our house therefore, temperature is likely not to vary more than 10 degrees.  I feel better paying attention to humidity more than temp.
  • Seems as if I keep it at 65-70%, that should be ok....
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947

Relative Humidity- Thats the little sweat beads that pop up on your ass while your doin' your wife's sister ( I'm allowed to tell this joke because my wife doesn't have a sister hahaha)

• gmill880:

Relative Humidity- Thats the little sweat beads that pop up on your ass while your doin' your wife's sister ( I'm allowed to tell this joke because my wife doesn't have a sister hahaha)

ummm.  not funny.

stern112:
    gmill880:

ummm.  not funny.

stern- If you hang around you'll find out theres a lotta kiddin and joking around with one another as well as the wealth of info that is shared by a great group of guys on this forum. Nothing is intended to step on anyone's toes or offend , this joke is as old as i am and in no way insinuates someone should be unfaithful to their spouse, girlfriend or significant other. Please take it in the context it was delivered, just something to make someone chuckle and break up the stress/boredom/work of the day.

• TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    stern112:
    gmill880:

ummm.  not funny.

Yeh, I got caught too - it's not funny.
    gmill880:
    stern112:
    gmill880:

ummm.  not funny.

stern- If you hang around you'll find out theres a lotta kiddin and joking around with one another as well as the wealth of info that is shared by a great group of guys on this forum. Nothing is intended to step on anyone's toes or offend , this joke is as old as i am and in no way insinuates someone should be unfaithful to their spouse, girlfriend or significant other. Please take it in the context it was delivered, just something to make someone chuckle and break up the stress/boredom/work of the day.

NOW you tell me!
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    And, by a w-i-d-e stretch of imagination, in the proper forum as well. Don't be offended by anything you read stern. I am sure it was funny is gmill's head. ( I have seven sister-in-laws)
    Thanks for having my back Kas, I was starting to get nervous about the gathering mob ....
  • Guess this wouldnt be a good place for the rodeo sex joke then?
    I am sure Stern will adjust to our humor... Ok - I really didn't do my sister-in-law either. Either one!

By the way Gmill - How's Pop in law?

Tumbler:
    I am sure Stern will adjust to our humor... Ok - I really didn't do my sister-in-law either. Either one!

Thanks for asking Tumbler-He goes back to the hospital in Hickory tuesday to meet with the doctor that will talk about setting up the radiology treatments, cannot do gamma ray. Seems to be progressing very slowly,some days good and some not so. Will go back to Baptist hospital next week, they are very concerned over the aggressiveness of the cancer from what we are gathering.

gmill880:

Tumbler:

Thanks for asking Tumbler-He goes back to the hospital in Hickory tuesday to meet with the doctor that will talk about setting up the radiology treatments, cannot do gamma ray. Seems to be progressing very slowly,some days good and some not so. Will go back to Baptist hospital next week, they are very concerned over the aggressiveness of the cancer from what we are gathering.

I am sorry Gmill. Did they ever give you a cell type or stage? If it's close to the orbits, optic nerves, and chiasm then Tomotherapy is really a nice solution. If it's not - IMRT will be fine.
    Tumbler:
    gmill880:

Tumbler:

I am sorry Gmill. Did they ever give you a cell type or stage? If it's close to the orbits, optic nerves, and chiasm then Tomotherapy is really a nice solution. If it's not - IMRT will be fine.

My understanding is the tumor was the result of him having renal cell carcinoma which metastasized ( not sure if I spelled those words correct) to the brain. He had his right kidney removed in beginning of July 08. Today they told him instead of 10-12 treatments he would have 5 treatments a week for 4 weeks at a lower dose and they need to do more tests at Baptist hospital to check him completely out and see if he has any imediate problems. The doctors did say it could have already spread other places and not be detectable yet? and they needed to really stay on top of it. Expecting some short term memory loss which may straighten out after treatment is complete. Not sure as to stage but seems very serious to us ....should they be able to tell us a stage, maybe we are not asking the correct questions. There are probably too many relatives bombarding the docs with questions and I don't like to put a lot of stock in anything but what my wife and I actually hear ourselves....

gmill880:
    Tumbler:
    gmill880:

Tumbler:

My understanding is the tumor was the result of him having renal cell carcinoma which metastasized ( not sure if I spelled those words correct) to the brain. He had his right kidney removed in beginning of July 08. Today they told him instead of 10-12 treatments he would have 5 treatments a week for 4 weeks at a lower dose and they need to do more tests at Baptist hospital to check him completely out and see if he has any imediate problems. The doctors did say it could have already spread other places and not be detectable yet? and they needed to really stay on top of it. Expecting some short term memory loss which may straighten out after treatment is complete. Not sure as to stage but seems very serious to us ....should they be able to tell us a stage, maybe we are not asking the correct questions. There are probably too many relatives bombarding the docs with questions and I don't like to put a lot of stock in anything but what my wife and I actually hear ourselves....

I was under the assumption the Brain was a primary not metastatic. I am sorry - that is not good. They are probably calling this stage 4. Renal is an odd cancer - it's the only one I know that can spread to a soliltary site, and in rare circumstances - be curable. It's usually not an agressive cancer, so I understand their concern...

No good word here my friend - I am sorry.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    stern112:
    gmill880:

ummm.  not funny.

Gmill hit a little too close to home there, Mr. Grumpy?
    Tumbler:
    gmill880:
    Tumbler:
    gmill880:

Tumbler:

I was under the assumption the Brain was a primary not metastatic. I am sorry - that is not good. They are probably calling this stage 4. Renal is an odd cancer - it's the only one I know that can spread to a soliltary site, and in rare circumstances - be curable. It's usually not an agressive cancer, so I understand their concern...

No good word here my friend - I am sorry.

tumbler pm

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Luko:
    stern112:
    gmill880:

ummm.  not funny.

Gmill hit a little too close to home there, Mr. Grumpy?
    wow, I wonder how this came about from the thread? sick bast*rds around here..... Anyhoo I'd say the best answer would be whatever smokes well for you. 68% seems good for me. up or down 2 or 3 is fine as well. That's what mine stays at and I like the results.