Home General Discussion

What was your first cigar?

What was your first cigar? mine was a swisher sweet

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    LOL I think mine was a black and mild but my first real cigar was a CAO Gold.
  • carmike22carmike22 Posts: 70
    first cigar was a swisher sweet (if I only knew) but my first premium cigar was a Partagas.
  • kodkod Posts: 41
    ok, yea my first real one was a vintage 92 patel
  • golfcigarjunkiegolfcigarjunkie Posts: 61
    My first was an Old Port Cigerollo.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    My first was a Puros Indios piramide #3, a maduro if memory serves. It canoed on me something horrible, and I smoked it like I was going to win a prize if I finished first, but somehow I did enjoy it and, well, here I am now so.....

Joe
    LOL I think I smoked that first CAO so fast it started burning my lips with 2 - 3 inches of stogie left. Not to sound dumb here but ... What is canoed?
  • Some cheap vanilla flavored thing... probably a Dutch Master... a friend of mine lit up at a party I went to. First real cigar was an H. Upmann that came in a gold tube I got at the beach about a month later... other than that I couldn't tell you which specific one it was.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    The very first was a Beaconsfield Round. I dont even know if they are still around, that and the dependable Curly Head. I have moved past those but that's where it started.
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    I can't remember my very first cigar but it was good. It was recommended by the girl working in the cigar shop and had a picture of a woman on the band but could've been one of a dozen cigars I've seen with similar bands. Now the first that I remember was a Carlos Torano Exodus 1959.
  • phishermanphisherman Posts: 79
    Haha, it was a Macanudo Portofino. Man did I have really bad taste back then. But that is what I liked.
  • pilot711pilot711 Posts: 176
    I think my first was a Cuban on a dive trip in Mexico (probably a fake). Then got back and really started with a Macanudo Maduro someone gave me. Don't smoke that anymore but do remember it was mild and a good beginner smoke.
  • ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    The first thing I ever smoked was a Black & Mild.

My first real cigar though was a Helix natural. It was their launch ads in every mens magazine (Maxim, Stuff, etc) that got me interested in real cigars.
  • DocTDocT Posts: 6
    My first REAL cigar was a Montecristo #2. First "any" cigar was a swisher. Never did like it either.
  • jlzimmermanjlzimmerman Posts: 282
    Swisher Sweet I think.
  • GaryKGaryK Posts: 15
    My first real cigar was a Gurkha Gran Reserve. My old college roommate wanted me to step outside with him at a Christmas party. It was freezing cold outside so I refused. He said "I'll give you my best cigar if you'll hang out with me while I enjoy my cigar." I did and I've been hooked ever since.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    First actual cigar was a Dutch Master (don't know what kind just had a blue label) from the gas station when I was 17, after having the thing unravel in my mouth and inhaling it I stopped for a long while. Next was Black-n-Mild cigars, good flavor but crappy plastic Tip on it. First REAL cigar I've smoked was "Java" by Drew Estates. Good flavor and tasted good too! I smoked that, a Kahlua and then said I can't handle these sweet ones anymore. First Cigar after the flavoreds was "The Edge" by Rocky Patel... Then it was history for me!
    Lasabar.. Dude, from Dutch Masters to The Edge, that is a HUGE leap. I don't know anyone who started with Edge. Powerful and about as Full bodied as you will find around.
    Lasabar you are the man. The Edge is a great cigar, in my Top 5 but as kaspera said its no beginners cigar. I jumped straight into medium-full bodied cigars as well but not that full. I was more MX-2's and Fuente Flor Fina 858 Maduros.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i too like the edge. I like the corojo more than the maduro though. the MX-2 is ok again but i think CAO's best "not short run" cigar is the italia. I always was a full body cigar guy myself. One of my early faves was camacho havanna figurado. to someone that had been smoking less than a year, that was a strong cigar.
    ive sinced moved up to the camacho diploma (eat before smoking) and the el cobre (i still wish i had more of these) i wouldnt reccomend either of these to a biginner or a person faint of heart.
    I like the Edge Sumatra the best, actually. My fave RP is the Sungrown though, that is powerful.
    the sungrown is one of the few RPs i like
    Hey pop over the the PIF thread someone needs to be my mooch. I have a few extra Sungrowns. Someone scared me and told me they were going to stop making them so I bought them up turns out it wasn't true.
    Kuzi, I know you must have tried the Vintage stuff. 92, 90, and even the 99. I think the 99 is not as good as the other two but these are the ones that opened my eyes to what great cigars come out of that family. RP is always looking for ways to create new cigars. The Fusion line with double Maduro or the fusion of 90 and 92. And, the Signature. All among my "stash".
    i have tried the 92 and the 90 but not the 99. i like the 92 the best, but im still not taken by it as much as other are. I just dont think they are worth the money. they are good, but not THAT good.
  • handypantzhandypantz Posts: 86
    my first cigar was a hand rolled cigar from a little tobacco shop in downtown toronto. The cigar's are called Correnti and they are made by old lady's in the shop using all imported cuban tobacco. When the Correnti family started their business all of the boxes of cigars were trademarked with their logo..."Hand rolled on the inner thigh of a virgin." The cigar is amazing and I still smuggle some everytime I go to toronto.
  • pilot711pilot711 Posts: 176
    handypantz:
    my first cigar was a hand rolled cigar from a little tobacco shop in downtown toronto. The cigar's are called Correnti and they are made by old lady's in the shop using all imported cuban tobacco. When the Correnti family started their business all of the boxes of cigars were trademarked with their logo..."Hand rolled on the inner thigh of a virgin." The cigar is amazing and I still smuggle some everytime I go to toronto.
    Where is this shop? I end up flying to and overnighting in Toronto once in a while and would like to check out these "virgin" rolled stogies.
  • firemshllfiremshll Posts: 19
    Montecristo Platinum Vintage '99 Robusto for me. Loved it. It got me - hook, line, and sinker.
    Hell of a first cigar fire, Bravo.
  • LoonaticLoonatic Posts: 8

Personally I do not remember my first cigar, but I do recall it burning debris off my retinas. 

I have learned much since then :-)

• urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Mine was probably a Dunhill somethingorother.  I had already been smoking pipes a little, so I probably went with a familiar name.  (Later, I smoked Buteras for a while.)  I don't really remember.  The first one I remember was a tubed H.Uppmann.

And then Fuente came out with the Hemingway...