Home Ratings & Reviews

Top two Robustos

Okay so since it is winter I am sometimes relegated to smoking a shorter stick as outside time is a bit less pleasing to the skin. So it is this time of year I tend to burn through my Robusto selection. Of course I like some more than others. But as we all know, for some sticks/blends, a specific vitola is the (for whatever reason) apex of the blend. Example would be how the Toro size for DE Liga #9. (Yum btw!) So what are your top two Robustos? Or if you are not a Robusto person, perhaps a blend or two you think is epitomized in the Robusto size...

Comments

• Bucking_WBucking_W Posts: 208 ✭✭
    Funny you should ask, I was on the back porch and it was freezing but it was one of those moments I really wanted to have a good smoke. I had bought some of the My Father Le Bijou 1922 in Robusto size. Perfect smoke and very strong. However, when it is usually cold out I will go with the Camacho Diploma Maduro, it just has always been a good cold night smoke for me. Hope that helps.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    Top 2 Robustos? I'll give you 3.

Camacho Diploma, DPG Black and 5 Vegas Classic. All fantastic smokes.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    Top 4 robustos for me are the following in no particular order...

Oliva O
    Oliva O Maduro
    Camacho Triple Maduro
    CAO Brazilia

I love these for blends and seek them out in Robustos
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    I can't say I have a lot of Robustos. I prefer the belicoso due to the tapered head. Just fits my mouth easier. If you don't have an Oliva V in a belicoso send me a PM and I will get you some. AWESOME shorter smokes when you want something med-full and taste great in the cold. Less smoke time than the torps as well. I can send you a few belicoso of different cigars you might like. Let me know.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    My Father Le Bijou Petit Robusto is awesome. Actually there are a handful of awesome Petit Robustos coming from Pepin right now. He also just put out the Serie JJ "Little Robusto" in honor of Jerry Cruz from Stogie Review's son, JJ, who passed away too soon from SIDS a few years ago (look it up on Stogie Review... really amazing story)
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    One of the finest robustos I've burned this year is the Perdomo Edicion de Silvio Connecticut. I posted a review somewhere in here. I'm not a huge Connie fan, but this one is really, really good. Expensive, but worth it.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    This is easy.

1. San Cristobal Clasicco
    2. JdN DC el Martillo

thread over. lol
  • MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    Here are the 4 I enjoy:

CAO OSA Sol
    CAO L'Anniversaire Cameroon
    Carlos Torano Exodus 1959 Silver
    Alec Bradley Family Blend

• blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I have to try a few of those AB family blend's, I keep forgetting to order some. Its not a robusto size, but the JdN Dark Corojo peligroso is 5x44 I think, great smoke. 5 vegas "A" has a petit corona size thats awesome for winter smoking, several blends are offered in that size (which is roughly 5x44-42). IMHO its still pretty much a robusto, but thats my go-to winter smoking size.

& what Doc said about Little Robusto is one of those stories that really makes you realize how you should enjoy the time you have with the ones you love. Having an 8 month old son when I read that story really made me nervous as hell, but I know to enjoy every second of my son growing up after that reading that sad story about little JJ.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LPH -either the Classic or Black Pearl
    Graycliff 1666

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• rburke1129rburke1129 Posts: 386
    LFD Airbender
    Perdomo Lot 23 Connie
    Sorry I'm late, but a manure spreader jack-knifed on the Santa Anna.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Padilla 1932, most cigars I prefer in Toro or Figurado but this one seems particularly good in robusto. Oh, and the GH Vintage 2002
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • MephistoMephisto Posts: 508
    Amos Umwhat:
    Padilla 1932, most cigars I prefer in Toro or Figurado but this one seems particularly good in robusto. Oh, and the GH Vintage 2002

+1 on the Padilla 1932. And I'd add CAO Black for a medium smoke, and the Guillermo Leon robusto is just fantastic.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    docbp87:
    My Father Le Bijou Petit Robusto is awesome. Actually there are a handful of awesome Petit Robustos coming from Pepin right now. He also just put out the Serie JJ "Little Robusto" in honor of Jerry Cruz from Stogie Review's son, JJ, who passed away too soon from SIDS a few years ago (look it up on Stogie Review... really amazing story)
    great story Doc, thanks for posting.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    I'd add CAO l'anniversarie Maduro to the list. One of my favorite maduros.
  • OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    Tatuaje Havana VI (red label)
    E.P. Carillo Core Line Maduro
    nuff said! LOL
  • CharlieCordusCharlieCordus Posts: 84 ✭✭
    Here's the top 2 I had this year:
    PSD4
    AB Prensado
    and if the PSD4 is dq'd then my next choice is:
    San Lotano Oval Robusto
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    VSG and Diamond Crown Maximus for me. Wondering if the FFOX counts as a robusto
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    Oliva V Robusto and CAO Italia Gol
  • RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    El Titan De Bronze Redemption Maduro Robusto and Diamond Crown Maximus #5
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Ah yes the El Titan de Bronze...RCY was kind enough to hit me with one a while back and I have not seen one since unfortuately as it was pretty d**n good. Hard to argue with that choice. For me though, here is my two cents: Nestor Miranda Art Deco Grande Robusto. I am in fact looking for more if anyone wants to trade. Number two is the Sancho Panza Double Maduro...priced well and just has all kinds of stuff going on flavor wise. I always have them in stock. Honorable mention for me would be the GH made Blue Label. A straightforward stick full of taste and easy on the wallet.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    A couple of sticks I think are best in robusto...San Cristobal and Padilla Miami. Robusto is just a great size in general, lots of sticks are best in either this vitola or corona/lancero. So many to choose from really.
  • Hard for me to limit it to two...so I'll give four.

Illusione 88

Padron 2000 Maduro

E.P. Carrillo Maduro

Padilla '32

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    padron 85th and cao lx2. would have put a lost city opus in there but I just had the double robusto and toro so the lx2 is my 2nd choice. love that stick.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    davidoff maduro robusto

LFD airbender Matatan
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    PSD4 and CORO...
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    RCY Cigars:
    El Titan De Bronze Redemption Maduro Robusto and Diamond Crown Maximus #5
    i would have the Redemption maddy as my #2 behind the San Cristobal, but I've only smoked 4 or 5 Redemption maddys... and I figured to be my "favorite" I would have to go with something I've smoked 20 or more of... so I went with JdN DC as my #2... I've smoked prob 100 or more of those and have never been let down.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Gurkha Black Dragon and CCOM Sungrown Label are 2 of my fav Robustos. Plus the Room 101 Namakubi Papi Chulo and Roxxo are both awesome short smokes
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    I keep hearing about the San Lotano Oval Robusto...that might be the nugget gleaned from this thread.
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    dowjr1:
    I keep hearing about the San Lotano Oval Robusto...that might be the nugget gleaned from this thread.
    Great smoke, one of the best NC robustos and especially for the $$ they are unreal and a fantastic buy