Home Non Cigar Related

Headphones

BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
So I am in the market for new workout headphones....Anyone have any suggestions.

I am not afraid to spend a little coin, less than 100

I have checked most reviews but just can't seem to pull the trigger. I mainly use them for working out, but here in lies the main issue with most headphones. I sweat like a stuck pig fighting for my life and always end up shorting them out. What say ye?

Comments

• ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    I'm a big fan of Skullcandy headphones. Not really "sweat-proof", but I used to use them while recording drums with my last band and never had a problem. Believe it or not, you can actually find them at Rite Aid on occasion...
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Toombes:
    I'm a big fan of Skullcandy headphones. Not really "sweat-proof", but I used to use them while recording drums with my last band and never had a problem. Believe it or not, you can actually find them at Rite Aid on occasion...
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Dude Klipsch make some ear buds in that sub $100 price range that's far superior to everything skull candy has ever made.

• beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    try Sennheiser. They have some waterproof, clip on, workout headphones.
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    Klip S4s((around $80), no questions asked...just get them from BBY or a retailer where you can get a warranty for sweat/water damage if it happens
  • PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    Look into Bose. I recently went into a store and found that there really is a diff in sound quality. My new Bose Companion 5 comp speakers have changed music for me
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    As much as I lose headphones I'll stick with my $12 dollar Skullcandys lol
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Koss ksc75 or Koss PortaPro. Check out the reviews on Amazon for both, good sound for cheap ( ~15 and ~30, respectively).
  • djbeeniedjbeenie Posts: 469
    PsychoSJG:
    Look into Bose. I recently went into a store and found that there really is a diff in sound quality. My new Bose Companion 5 comp speakers have changed music for me
    uhh don't get Bose. Trust me Bose are a piece of crap because the internal speakers are made of cardboard. They are heavily over priced for what you get. If you really want good speakers, (I'm a dj, and will never dj with out my pioneers)

These will cost you 300, but worth every penny.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-HDJ-2000-Reference-Professional-Headphones/dp/B001LQXYKK/ref=pd_sim_MI_2

The lower end is great too!

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-HDJ-1000-DJ-Headphones/dp/B0002DV7Z2
    djbeenie:
    PsychoSJG:
    uhh don't get Bose. Trust me Bose are a piece of crap because the internal speakers are made of cardboard. They are heavily over priced for what you get. If you really want good speakers, (I'm a dj, and will never dj with out my pioneers)

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-HDJ-2000-Reference-Professional-Headphones/dp/B001LQXYKK/ref=pd_sim_MI_2

Man for that price I could get a pair and a half of audio technical. But this has sparked another question who here uses hi end audio gear?
    stephen_hannibal:
    djbeenie:
    PsychoSJG:

Man for that price I could get a pair and a half of audio technica. But this has sparked another question who here uses hi end audio gear?
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    hope no one takes offense to this but you got to have something wrong with you if you would spend close to 100 dollars for headphones. My wife bought some of those dr. dre headphones for 100 bucks and I went through the roof. I listened to them and sure they sound ... well like headphones. I have a pair of nice headphones from panasonic that even have interchangeable buds and well both headphones sound the same and I paid 30 bucks.
  • Bombay:
    So I am in the market for new workout headphones....Anyone have any suggestions.

I have checked most reviews but just can't seem to pull the trigger. I mainly use them for working out, but here in lies the main issue with most headphones. I sweat like a stuck pig fighting for my life and always end up shorting them out. What say ye?
    Sennheiser HD 220
    phobicsquirrel:
    hope no one takes offense to this but you got to have something wrong with you if you would spend close to 100 dollars for headphones. My wife bought some of those dr. dre headphones for 100 bucks and I went through the roof. I listened to them and sure they sound ... well like headphones. I have a pair of nice headphones from panasonic that even have interchangeable buds and well both headphones sound the same and I paid 30 bucks.
    Wow that's like saying somethings wrong with you if you like $20 cigars. A gas station cigar burns just the same.

• ug danug dan Posts: 375
    stephen_hannibal:
    phobicsquirrel:
    Wow that's like saying somethings wrong with you if you like $20 cigars. A gas station cigar burns just the same.

Good point
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    ug dan:
    stephen_hannibal:
    phobicsquirrel:

Good point
    true... still it's a bit different. some 20 dollar cigars sure, but you only get stereo from headphones. And one could say that if you buy a ferreri instead of a honda your crazy! which could be true if you live in a city.
  • djbeeniedjbeenie Posts: 469
    phobicsquirrel:
    I am a dj and the quality does matter when you are in the club mixing. You can't mix with 30 dollar headphones, sorry to say. :) The dr dre headphones suck anyways, it was a markup for crappy headphones using dr. dre's name.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    Obviously you don't know anything about DJing, but that's beside the point. It's his money...who are you to say otherwise? IMO, this post was rude as hell.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Krieg:
    phobicsquirrel:
    Obviously you don't know anything about DJing, but that's beside the point. It's his money...who are you to say otherwise? IMO, this post was rude as hell.
    I'm a recording engineer and can tell you first hand that professional headphones for tracking and mixing have to be reference quality. Meaning you are using headphones that cost AT LEAST 100 bucks a pair. Their are huge differences in performance if you have the "sonic" palette to tell the differences.
    xIcedGuardianx:
    Krieg:
    phobicsquirrel:
    I'm a recording engineer and can tell you first hand that professional headphones for tracking and mixing have to be reference quality. Meaning you are using headphones that cost AT LEAST 100 bucks a pair. Their are huge differences in performance if you have the "sonic" palette to tell the differences.
    Man I was waiting for you to chime in on this.
    Though as a disclaimer BEATS by Dre are not professional or reference quality headphones.

• wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    I've got a pair of "Shure" ear buds don't remember the model but I can tell you that at 100mph on a motorcycle all you can hear is music with em in.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I'm not saying that these are top quality but I use these for running and working out and I abuse the crap out of them. The sound may not be the best but for how durable they are I won't use anything else at the gym. I've had two pairs so far and the first ones lasted me about 4 years, including taking them to Iraq, and the other pair has lasted me the past couple of years and show no signs of going down anytime soon. The way they hook over the ear is perfect for popping out in between sets and not having to take them off of your ears. Anywho for the price and durability for work out headphones to me these are fantastic.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+Clip-On+In-Ear+Stereo+Headphones+-+Black/5335657.p?id=1051826204520&skuId=5335657

• BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    Thanks everyone for the input, ended up going with Bose IE2. Had a return so I only paid 40 bucks for them. The quality is absolutely fabulous. as to the reactions to the guys who said go with the cheap ones the problem is that I sweat like a bandit and can short out a pair headphones in 3 months of going to the gym. With these I also got a two year warranty for any possible problem.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    On the topic of headphones I thought this was humorous http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMxIS7-94S0
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    rudel.dietrich:
    Bombay:

Sennheiser HD 220
    +2
  • Beats by Dre. are overpriced yes. But they are by no means crap. If you like bass heavy music like hip hop and like your music loud then you will get more mileage out of them.

Each headphone has a different profile made for different ears and different music genres. I have a paid of Sennheiser HD-25 II that are pretty generalist but are still geared towards electronic and dance music and offer pretty good range and clarity. I do like my hip hop though and they can provide some bass but not enough to fully honor the source music.

But those are about twice beyond your price limit.

Your best bet is to find a decent music shop, take your music and actually test out several pairs. Any respectable store will let you spend a few hours browsing around. Make sure they sound good for your ears. Not someone else's opinion. Also make sure they are comfortable. I have returned a handful of good high dollar headphones due to unbearable ear and head pain.

Finally if you are going to spend that much on headphone. Spend $20-35 more and get a portable amplifier. iPods, iPhones, iPads and PSPs have pretty crappy sound boards that can only output at ~75 db. A decent mid level amp can give this a boost as well as improving bass, clarity, dynamic range and head space. It really does make a world of difference and is well worth the additional investment. It is not alway practical for public transport rides but if you are at home or the library or a cafe it easy to pull out an 8 ounce amp and hook it up and dive into your world of entertainment.

Hope this helps.
    Got a pair of Lady Gaga edition Beats.
    They may be pink and bedazzled but they sound way better than sony pair I was rocking.
    Also helps that I got them for $40.

• DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    What kind of workout are you doing? I've broken so many sets doing crossfit its hardly worth spending more than $10!
  • oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    If spending 100 bucks on headphones makes you crazy, then I need to be sedated, bagged, and put in a mental home immediately. I've probably spent 1000 bucks headphone equipment, and thats pennies compared to some people I know.
    oldsoulrevival:
    If spending 100 bucks on headphones makes you crazy, then I need to be sedated, bagged, and put in a mental home immediately. I've probably spent 1000 bucks headphone equipment, and thats pennies compared to some people I know.
    At my peak I had six sets of cans. You an engineer or just an audiophile?
  • oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    oldsoulrevival:
    At my peak I had six sets of cans. You an engineer or just an audiophile?
    Audiophile. My friends think I am crazy because I spend all of my money on audio equipment, world class whiskeys, and top drawer cigars. hahaha