Home General Discussion

Any awkward experience?

As being and born as Asian, when I smoke outside in public, people stare at me with weird look. They are like never seen Asian kid smoking cigar before. lol

Comments

• lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    I get looks walking into a B&M.
  • Screw em this is America! They are staring at you for smoking a cigar period. Too many anti smokers in this country. I've had people say some pretty cruel things for smoking outdoors but I never put out my stogie! Smoke on brotha as long as you enjoy what your smoking it doesn't matter what others think IMO.
  • JayoJayo Posts: 76
    Yes, sir. I'm smoking legal cigars. Screw em. haha
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    I'm Native American that grew up in South Mississippi! I walked into run down old bar called the Broke Spoke...one look around and I knew my time was up. Very awkward experience!
  • SalemSalem Posts: 717
    I imagine I would get stares too, since I'm a woman, lol!
  • Bucking_WBucking_W Posts: 208 ✭✭
    You smoke a cigar in Austin and you might as well have walked on a public stage and passed gas into the microphone. Every stops and looks at you with a disgust look after existing the local B&M.
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Bucking W:
    You smoke a cigar in Austin and you might as well have walked on a public stage and passed gas into the microphone. Every stops and looks at you with a disgust look after existing the local B&M.
    This is proof that human beings can be effectively conditioned (brainwashed) en masse to reject or to accept any given social behavior if enough effort is used.
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    Bucking W:
    LoL!! I'm stealing that line!!
    Seems like I ain't the only one. It is so comforting
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    So what exactly does a cigar smoker look like? I've seen some chimps really digging a good smoke. LOL
  • asianbiker8asianbiker8 Posts: 551
    Jayo:
    As being and born as Asian, when I smoke outside in public, people stare at me with weird look. They are like never seen Asian kid smoking cigar before. lol
    thats nothing man, you should see people look at me. smoking a cigar, leaning against my harley, and me covered in tattoos.
  • lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    LOL in SD? LOL!
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    I get stared at all the time, but I figured it was because I'm so damn handsome. Now if I could only figure out why they're always laughing.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People just seem to stare at anyone smoking a cigar. Sometimes the looks are disapproving, but screw em.
  • cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    I walked around a local outdoor craft fair once didn't see any signs so I lit up. was pretty funny because I keeped it palmed when not inhailing, it was funny to see all the people looking around for it, and commenting. lol
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Walking by the virtual B&M lastnight and seeing a naked Jasonusa1.I couldn't go in and in good conscience sit on the leather couches after that.
  • 415415 Posts: 951
    yeah i get alot of weird looks when i go to my local b&m( less now that im a member and spend 6+ hours a week there)

to understand why i get such strange looks you have to undersand alittle about marin county. in 2009 the county had the fifth highest income per capita in the United States.
    so me working constuction, walking in in my work cloths after a 8-10 hour day....... well lets just say i dont quite fit the description of the average member
    Smoking cigar is stereotyped that scarfsce or godfather like figures are allowed to smoke. Any person who do not fit in that category, gets stares or maybe they envy us haha. They want to be cool like we are.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I haven't noticed anything but I don't smoke in public yet except at B&M's.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to add myself to the "screw-em" group. :)
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • I get funny looks, but its usually when I'm driving my lawn mower with a cigar in one hand and a beer in the other. Its tricky, but I make it work........lol
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Looking at you strange bc you are smoking and Asian? Clearly they have not been to Japan where people there smoked like chimneys. But you know people look at me wierd all the time...maybe bc I am often with my German Shephers (which seem to strike fear into every Muslim in the area who sees them) or bc I have short hair, or bc I am just plain ugly. Regardless it just seems to happen so I am sort of used to it at this point. Anyway...smoke em up! Just like Gene Wilder kid says in "Blazing Saddles"..."What did you expect? These are people of the land. The common clay of the new west. You know...morons."
  • Based on my own experience, I try to motivate my students in several ways. Once a month I throw an English party where students share what they’ve learned during last month. There is no grading, but kids love to show their English work to the others. Because of that party, they are very engaged to study English. (I don't know about the fun and energy every month part, that phrase is awkward)

In addition, I don’t stint on compliments when they achieve something. Checking their homework, I draw a smiling face saying “Great”, “Excellent” or “Awesome” on their notebooks. And then I can see students’ happy faces. They say “I will show my Mom that I got a smiling face saying Awesome. I like English. I can understand when you speak in English.”

electronic cigarette
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Whenever I wear my short shorts nobody wants to be around me besides Matt Booth, and Smoke Em lol
  • No, but I've had a few funny incidents...Last week I was sitting on a bench outside the local mall waiting on my wife who was inside Christmas shopping, and a young guy came up to me and asked if he could have a hit off my "blunt"!
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    tincup703:
    No, but I've had a few funny incidents...Last week I was sitting on a bench outside the local mall waiting on my wife who was inside Christmas shopping, and a young guy came up to me and asked if he could have a hict off my "blunt"!
    Should have let him..just to watch him choke
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    I had someone look at me with a funny look on their face while I was smoking a cigar. It wasn't because of the cigar at all, but because of all the birds with me. One was on my head, one was on the lit cigar, another was on my lap. I had been sitting nice and calm when a flock of whisky jacks decided they liked the chips I was snaking on, so they flocked to me while I was smoking a cigar. This was way back in the woods while I was camping on crown land. A van pulled in, a man and his grandson. The boy was facinated with the how the wild birds were just sitting on me, and the man complimented me on my choice of cigar. I think I can understand their awkward stares. Pics to prove it...sort of

• SaVasSaVas Posts: 250
    I was walking outside at a local park last spring, minding my own business, and had a lady walk over to me and ask if I was enjoying my cigar. I told her it was excellent. She said, well it stinks awful. And mind you, the smoke wasn't even blowing her way and she had been about 20 feet from me. Well, this irked me to no end...and instead of oust keeping my mouth shut, I said, yeah I bet your **** smells worse. it ticked her off and she walked away. Another time I was in a cigar bar, only couple other people in it since it was early, and I was having a drink. Two gals walk in sit 2 seats down from me...plenty of more space at the bar than they gave. One closest to me says to her friend, cigars stink. Can't believe they let people smoke those things in here. I looked over at her, pointed at the upright humidor full of cigars, over the bar, and said, you really are a natural blonde aren't you? And kept puffing.
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    SaVas:
    I was walking outside at a local park last spring, minding my own business, and had a lady walk over to me and ask if I was enjoying my cigar. I told her it was excellent. She said, well it stinks awful. And mind you, the smoke wasn't even blowing her way and she had been about 20 feet from me. Well, this irked me to no end...and instead of oust keeping my mouth shut, I said, yeah I bet your **** smells worse. it ticked her off and she walked away. Another time I was in a cigar bar, only couple other people in it since it was early, and I was having a drink. Two gals walk in sit 2 seats down from me...plenty of more space at the bar than they gave. One closest to me says to her friend, cigars stink. Can't believe they let people smoke those things in here. I looked over at her, pointed at the upright humidor full of cigars, over the bar, and said, you really are a natural blonde aren't you? And kept puffing.
    Next time somebody tells you that your cigar stinks, tell 'm that their nose is ugly, and that it probably got that by being shoved where it doesn't belong.
  • ENFIDL:
    Whenever I wear my short shorts nobody wants to be around me besides Matt Booth, and Smoke Em lol
    TRUTH.. And I don't think Matt likes it.. He "puts up" with your shenanigans like the rest of us hahaha.