Home Non Cigar Related

Trying out the new handycam

Don't expect much, lol. I just wanted to see if I could get video from the handycam uplaoded and playing on a web page. I've done this countless times from old VHS training tapes (work related) but never from a digital recording device. This is a short video of my feathered friends. Of course, since I'm a geek, I put it into a flash animated television set...just because I can.

Click to view video in new window/tab

Comments

• jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    It worked!! Awesome set up for the cage too! They look pretty happy together. We wanted one of those but they are expensive birds! My kids got a Parakeet instead.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Looks great Cam. Nice birds. How old are they? They do look happy together, and happy birds can live a LONNNNNNG time. Nice video. Look forward to seeing some outdoor stuff from you.
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Thanks guys. The larger of the two is almost 3 years old, and the other is 2. One I purchased, the other comes from someone who saw that I was good with birds. They had a Green Cheek just like mine, but they claimed it hated men and could not be handled. It was also living in a dirty cage and I felt bad for it, so I took it in. It didn't take me long to train it to "step up" onto my hand, poop on command and teach it that my hand is not a chew toy.

They are both trained to go outdoors (weather permitting) and come with me when I walk the dog (summer, of course). They love an outing to the pet store and both love to play inside my shirt.

With any luck, I will have these 2 around for another 20+ years or more.

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    camgfs:
    Thanks guys. The larger of the two is almost 3 years old, and the other is 2. One I purchased, the other comes from someone who saw that I was good with birds. They had a Green Cheek just like mine, but they claimed it hated men and could not be handled. It was also living in a dirty cage and I felt bad for it, so I took it in. It didn't take me long to train it to "step up" onto my hand, poop on command and teach it that my hand is not a chew toy.

They are both trained to go outdoors (weather permitting) and come with me when I walk the dog (summer, of course). They love an outing to the pet store and both love to play inside my shirt.

I have heard stories of those thing living 80 years. Maybe that's not all parrots I don't know, but they are definately a long term pet. Nice birds, they definately look happy.
    laker1963:
    camgfs:

I have heard stories of those thing living 80 years. Maybe that's not all parrots I don't know, but they are definately a long term pet. Nice birds, they definately look happy.
    These guys are real small. No bigger than a Cockatiel, so they don't have that long of a lifespan. 25 yo 30 years tops, which is cool with me cause I'm already a Grampa, and I don't really want them to outlive me by too much, lol.
    It took these two more than 6 months to become friends, and they still have separate cages for when they are in a bad mood. The cage in the video is the smaller of the two.

I will see if I can post a pic of them in my hand... you'll see how small these guys are. All the attitude of a big bird in a small bird's body.

• MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    I am in serious debate about getting a toucan soon. Used to have a Cockatoo and Macaw. Had kids, birds had to go.
    Marker:
    I am in serious debate about getting a toucan soon. Used to have a Cockatoo and Macaw. Had kids, birds had to go.
    Big birds and small children don't mix well. I've heard many similar stories. My kids are grown up, and these little birds still don't get along with all of them. Parrots are a big responsibility and take up a lot of time every day. Good luck with the toucan, they are beautiful birds indeed.

• MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    The kids are older and they are very responsible/gentle with our two dogs and guinea pig. I don't see an issue having a softbill like a toucan around. Parrot... I love them but just a little unpredictable. My Cockatoo hated my wife. The bird considered me her husband. Still not sure if I picked the right girl...
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    camgfs:
    laker1963:
    camgfs:

These guys are real small. No bigger than a Cockatiel, so they don't have that long of a lifespan. 25 yo 30 years tops, which is cool with me cause I'm already a Grampa, and I don't really want them to outlive me by too much, lol.
    It took these two more than 6 months to become friends, and they still have separate cages for when they are in a bad mood. The cage in the video is the smaller of the two.

I will see if I can post a pic of them in my hand... you'll see how small these guys are. All the attitude of a big bird in a small bird's body.

Sweet birds and the dog and the birds is a great pic. I never heard of training a bird to poo on command. Wow. I can't even do that, and people have tried!
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    camgfs:
    laker1963:
    camgfs:

Sweet birds and the dog and the birds is a great pic. I never heard of training a bird to poo on command. Wow. I can't even do that, and people have tried!
    That's funny! Thanks for the laugh!
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    camgfs:
    Don't expect much, lol. I just wanted to see if I could get video from the handycam uplaoded and playing on a web page. I've done this countless times from old VHS training tapes (work related) but never from a digital recording device. This is a short video of my feathered friends. Of course, since I'm a geek, I put it into a flash animated television set...just because I can.

Nice parrots! what kind are they?
    Dark Roast:
    camgfs:

Nice parrots! what kind are they?
    They are Green Cheek Conures. Fun little guys but their bite is pretty serious. They can rip your finger open in a split second, so it takes nerves to train them. I handle them every day. I can even get them to play dead (on their backs in the palm of my hand). They can be cute and cudly, but I watch them closely around anyone else, just in case.

I do not recommend this type of bird to anyone who has not already had birds as pets, as they are not a good 'starter' bird. These are probably only a second generation in captivity, so their instinct is to bite/defend first, ask questions later.