Home General Discussion

You know me now, recommend a cigar for me please.

I have about 7 great cigars from friends here and they are excellent. But I have an occasion coming up where I want to smoke something really fantastic and extravagant. However, nothing over 30.00 a stick I'd say, which is a good bit, but for my occasion, I want the best that 30.00 can afford. Does not have to BE 30 dollars, just not over. Any suggestions? Remember, I'm still new, don't want anything to knock me down, but I want complexities of the taste and I have learned how to retrohale from my cigarette smoking days. So, I just put it into play in my cigars and am getting kinda good at it. Also, suggest a beverage, does not have to be alcohol. I tired cognac with it, but wound up not liking the cognac, however I know it's an acquired taste like coffee or beer. Anyway, hook me up with ideas guys!!

Comments

• Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    I would smoke a Padron, assuming you are getting an NC
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Padron 45th anniversary. Pair it with some water or club soda. You will never forget that cigar.
  • lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    I would go with an Opus X Lancero. It might be strong but if smoked properly at a slow pace the smoke is a very complex and mellow stick with a full flavor. Padron is a great stick as well but im an Opus kinda guy. Also keep in mind with a nice smoke you want to keep the cherry nice and cool but not out. Ash less and take nice slow but long pulls.

The drink will depend in whats available but I would go with water or club soda like Jaime said.
    Have fun!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Davidoff Gran Cru No.2
    elegant, complex, light and 13.70 on cigar.com

• JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    I would choose one of these: an Ashton corona classic, or a My Father El Hijo (a Smoke Inn Exclusive).

The Ashto is a great mild-medium cigar, while the My Father is more medium-full bodied. Neither will break the bank, but either will be memorable.
  • slickricslickric Posts: 705
    I personally would go for an Arturo fuente hemingway. They are gentle and delicious. Also under 30.00$
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Just about anything Fuente & Water (enjoy the smoke).
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I'm an Opus and Anejo fan but I also think that a Padron 45 is a fantastic smoke for a special occasion
  • SalemSalem Posts: 717
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    I would smoke a Padron, assuming you are getting an NC
    What's an NC?
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    If $30 is your limit, try a Padron 1926 80th Anniversary maduro. Best cigar I've ever had.

"Long ashes my friends."

nc is non cuban
  • Krieg:
    If $30 is your limit, try a Padron 1926 80th Anniversary maduro. Best cigar I've ever had.
    That's my recommendation too. I like the Family Reserve 44, 45 and 46, but IMO the 80th is their best creation.
    KCW:
    Just about anything Fuente & Water (enjoy the smoke).
    +1
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    I would say all the above are great recommendations and I'd throw a Diamond Crown Maximus in there ... About 13-16 bucks a stick. Or Opus X is always a good call.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Oliva V - I like the robusto or the toro

LFD solomon is fantastic as is the ligero or even the double ligero maduro chisel (if you like stronger smokes).

for an expensive stick? Padron family reserves are really good. the 45 is probably the strongest out of the lost. The 46 and 85 are my fav from the line. I also really loved the new god of fire series b toro.

Oh and paring... I lean towards dr. pepper or vanilla coke for maduros. For non maduros water or even coffee work. Of course I mix and match, I like dr. pepper or a dark coffee with opus cigars. hard liquor is something I enjoy however I find it usually over powers the cigars. There are a couple of cognacs that work well with them, I can't think of the names but they do exist in my opinion. Same with scotch and rum. It's all about trying out different things. Can get spendy at least in my area. I have to order it all and never get to taste it before I buy it.
    phobicsquirrel:

LFD solomon is fantastic as is the ligero or even the double ligero maduro chisel (if you like stronger smokes).

for an expensive stick? Padron family reserves are really good. the 45 is probably the strongest out of the lost. The 46 and 85 are my fav from the line. I also really loved the new god of fire series b toro.

Oh and paring... I lean towards dr. pepper or vanilla coke for maduros. For non maduros water or even coffee work. Of course I mix and match, I like dr. pepper or a dark coffee with opus cigars. hard liquor is something I enjoy however I find it usually over powers the cigars. There are a couple of cognacs that work well with them, I can't think of the names but they do exist in my opinion. Same with scotch and rum. It's all about trying out different things. Can get spendy at least in my area. I have to order it all and never get to taste it before I buy it.
    I think these would be wayyyyyyy too strong for her. The high end Fuentes would be a very good choice - a Hemmingway Short Story, or an Opus X would probably be better than the two I recommended earlier.
    JDH:
    phobicsquirrel:

I think these would be wayyyyyyy too strong for her. The high end Fuentes would be a very good choice - a Hemmingway Short Story, or an Opus X would probably be better than the two I recommended earlier.
    I would say opus's are stronger than a LFD ligero. Maybe not a double ligero. Fuente work of arts are great as well. Short stories are another winner. I personally like the work of art maduros but they are harder to get.
    phobicsquirrel:
    JDH:
    phobicsquirrel:

I would say opus's are stronger than a LFD ligero. Maybe not a double ligero. Fuente work of arts are great as well. Short stories are another winner. I personally like the work of art maduros but they are harder to get.
    What about the Fuente God of Fire? I've never had one of these, but they are certainly a high end cigar with a stellar reputation.
    JDH:
    phobicsquirrel:
    JDH:
    phobicsquirrel:

What about the Fuente God of Fire? I've never had one of these, but they are certainly a high end cigar with a stellar reputation.
    eh, I like the god of fires. Are they work the tag? no. not at msrp. if you can get them on a deal or something than perhaps. I personally feel they are in terms of price maybe 16 or so. Not worth the 25 or what have you. But they are fine smokes. I'm a cheapskate so there are few if any sticks I would say are worth over 20 dollars.
    phobicsquirrel:
    JDH:
    phobicsquirrel:
    JDH:
    phobicsquirrel:

eh, I like the god of fires. Are they work the tag? no. not at msrp. if you can get them on a deal or something than perhaps. I personally feel they are in terms of price maybe 16 or so. Not worth the 25 or what have you. But they are fine smokes. I'm a cheapskate so there are few if any sticks I would say are worth over 20 dollars.
    That's why I've never bought them - just too pricy.
    JDH:
    phobicsquirrel:
    JDH:
    phobicsquirrel:
    JDH:
    phobicsquirrel:

That's why I've never bought them - just too pricy.
    What about a Reconquista?
    Yep, Hemmingway Short Story, or the Ave Maria Reconquista, or the My Father El Hijo, those are my suggestions.
    i was thinking about this thread for a good part of the day.
    often we see threads like this.
    "recommend me a cigar for..."
    we always get a decent list of cigars. they are always what we (the recommenders) like.
    How about this:
    go back and look at the cigars that you have enjoyed the most. who made them? who blended them? what was the wrapper filler and binder?
    find those out and look for cigars that have a similar setup as the ones you like. (most of that info if not all of it can be found on cigar.com's listings of cigars. you can also search those criteria on the main site or on the forum.
    also, this is where a notebook where you keep notes on cigars comes in handy.
  • SalemSalem Posts: 717
    Anyone tried this? Has expresso and chocolate taste and sounds yummy. http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=412
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    The Recon would put her in the ICU. Seriously.
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    Marker:
    The Recon would put her in the ICU. Seriously.
    Agreed. Its not going to knock you on your azz, but it is going to be full on your palate and quite complex. With 1year of rest they will be great, but the pepper overtook mine when I smoked it
    Your right kuzi. These threads do pop up a lot and they really are not really needed. I mean what one person likes may not be what another will like. I know when I really started getting into this thing, I read reviews, and a lot of them. Then I would pick up cigars based on the reviews. After a while I would learn who (regular reviewer) had my taste profile and who didn't. In my opinion that is much more effective than asking opinions and reading what a cigar site/shop has on their description. I mean from reading those there would be no bad cigars.. lol.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Your right kuzi. These threads do pop up a lot and they really are not really needed. I mean what one person likes may not be what another will like. I know when I really started getting into this thing, I read reviews, and a lot of them. Then I would pick up cigars based on the reviews. After a while I would learn who (regular reviewer) had my taste profile and who didn't. In my opinion that is much more effective than asking opinions and reading what a cigar site/shop has on their description. I mean from reading those there would be no bad cigars.. lol.
    im not sure that is exactly what i was trying to get across as my point, but that is also an interesting point.
    i may disagree a bit with the point of if the thread is needed or not. it is needed because the poster does not know what to try next but it is not needed because we only post what we like. i wonder if it is possible to direct a person (in a forum setting) to a cigar that they both: A) have never had and B) would like.
    in a B&M setting feedback and questioning is almost instantaneous and a tobacconist can pull up a cigar that they would feel fits the bill. a GOOD tobacconist will not recommend their own favorite cigar but a cigar they respect that fits in their customers flavor profile preferences.

the OP here starts with "you know me now..."
    i just dont know if i know enough. i dont know if i understand what is in someones head about cigars after only a handfull of cigars.
    i guess this is why i posted what i did, turning it back to looking within yourself and within the realm of what is already known.

maybe i just gave bad advice. iduno.
    Yeah.. I guess that came off wrong. I don't want to say the thread is useless just that tastes are so subjective and I would hate to advise a cigar to someone and then they didn't like it especially if it's an expensive cigar.
    Salem:
    Anyone tried this? Has expresso and chocolate taste and sounds yummy. http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=412
    i have had one and they are ok. i personally don't like flavor infused cigars but thats not saying you won't. i didn't like the chalky feeling that the cap left on my lips and about half way through it lost most of the "java" flavor. i've met some people that love them in the morning and i've met some that won't smoke another one. sorry thats not too helpful