Home Non Cigar Related

Mechanic?

dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
Alright... I know some of you people know a thing or two about cars. So do I.. I know the passenger cars generally have 4 wheels, and that if I don't keep putting gasoline in mine, it will eventually stop working. Aside from that, though, I am utterly incompetent. So I need your help. I realize this is a cigar forum, but I figured y'all were a better shot than the rock climbing forum and the nerds around here I typically hang out with. Besides, I figured we could use a break from the daily "how do I season my humi" and "my analog hygrometer reads 104%" threads to do some real troubleshooting.

So I went out to hop in my car and head out to the post office this morning, but it wouldn't start. Almost like the battery was dead. Odd... I didn't leave the lights on or anything... oh look.. I left a dome light on. Well, this seems pretty straightforward.. I'll just wait 'til the wife is home and jump the car. Piece of cake.

When I opened the hood, the positive terminal on the battery was covered in a lovely blue powder. I assume this is acid that has leaked and dried all over everything. I expected it to be hard, but when I put a screwdriver to it to scrape it away, it was a very soft loose pile of powder. This had obviously just leaked, or this stuff would literally have fallen off the battery as the car moved. This car hasn't driven since Tuesday.

So... is this battery done? Can I just clean off all the acid? With what? I'm sure I want to keep my hands away from the stuff, but what sort of chemical would I use to clean it up? I figure I can get the terminals nice and clean, but do I need to toss this battery and drop in a new one? Little help here!

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Your battery should be ok. I'd recommend cleaning the terminal with a mixture of warm water and baking soda and an old toothbrush. Take the cable clamp off to make sure you get the terminal nice and clean for good contact. This kind of buildup can happen if the clamp is not tight enough, so make sure your terminal clamps are tight, it's also never a good thing to have loose electrical connections of any kind, leads to wear and weakening of vital parts...and that applies to more than just your car.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I'm with Jozer on this one, it should be a pretty easy fix. Just make sure to clean the terminal very well. Also if you are ever out and about and find that your cable is not making good contact due to this same build up you can get a can of regular Coke Classic and pour over it. The Coke will actually clean it pretty effectivly in just a few minutes. Just a tip in case you ever need it.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Interesting.. good to know. Thanks, guys!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    im no mechanic.

... but i did spent the night at a holiday in express...
  • vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    The other reason that you get the blue powder is when that battery is not producing enough CCA. The electricity prevents the corrosion from the terminals, but when there is not enough juice flowing, the system will corrode. First check if the battery has enough water. The best part is that they are just like cigars - DI only. Next, how old is the battery? If it is over 5 years old, it is time to change to a new battery. The acid that stores the electricity may have dissapated and caused the battery to die.
    The battery is dead. I'll have to install a new one tonight. How hard is this? Seems pretty straightforward.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    dutyje:
    The battery is dead. I'll have to install a new one tonight. How hard is this? Seems pretty straightforward.

not hard at all just make sure you have the pos and neg hooked up right- doesn,t take but a minute and a wrench
    gmill880:
    dutyje:

not hard at all just make sure you have the pos and neg hooked up right- doesn,t take but a minute and a wrench
    Yeah.. that looks pretty straightforward. If I can't figure it out, I'll be shocked ;)

The old battery was the original in the 2000 Accord. I'd say I got my money's worth.
    dutyje:
    gmill880:
    dutyje:

Yeah.. that looks pretty straightforward. If I can't figure it out, I'll be shocked ;)

The old battery was the original in the 2000 Accord. I'd say I got my money's worth.

Oh Yeah---you got yo moneys worth
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    dutyje:
    Everytime I needed a battery changed( usually in the winter) I went to a place like Sears and installation was free with the purchase. Can't beat that price. The problem would be getting the car to the auto center. Can it be jumped.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    gmill880:
    dutyje:

Not hard unless it's one of those cars that's engineered to make it really hard to get at the battery. The new Beetles are that way.
    The battery couldn't be jumped.. it was totally dead. I went to Sears and bought a battery, brought it home, and put it in. Piece of cake. The only thing shocking was that nobody got my joke. I was positive someone would make the connection.

I wouldn't expect Sears to charge me for the installation. I'd rather hope they'd charge the car.
    dutyje:
    gmill880:
    dutyje:

I got the joke duty.. ha ha ha
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    You made a funny?
    madurofan:
    You made a funny?
    PTFTW?

apparently not.. I got mostly negative responses.
    dutyje:
    madurofan:
    You made a funny?
    PTFTW?

apparently not.. I got mostly negative responses.
    Not so. We all have given you positive posts.
    dutyje:
    The battery couldn't be jumped.. it was totally dead. I went to Sears and bought a battery, brought it home, and put it in. Piece of cake. The only thing shocking was that nobody got my joke. I was positive someone would make the connection.

I wouldn't expect Sears to charge me for the installation. I'd rather hope they'd charge the car.

yeah i got it just a screwey day
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    gmill880:
    dutyje:

yeah i got it just a screwey day
    I hear ya, GMill...I'm just fried.
    Yeah, Luko, I got all amped up cranking out the puns, and figured they'd gone cold. Anyway, I'm pretty tired, and I'm sure this thread is driving y'all crazy. I should steer clear of the auto shop for a while.
    Hey duty, I wish you would put all this car talk in the rear view mirror already. The cigar talk is taking a backseat to this auto discussion. The tank is running empty on your silly puns.
    Well played, kas :) I think we've gotten all the mileage we can out of this one.
    dutyje:
    Well played, kas :) I think we've gotten all the mileage we can out of this one.

Then I assume the battery on this thread is dead
    dutyje:
    I agree, I didn't want to horn in, but we should take a brake.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I'm fixin' ta beat somebody with a car antenna if this don't stop.
    urbino:
    A guy walks into a bar with a set of jumper cables and says to the bartender" Gimmie two beers", Bartender says, "I'll serve you, but you better not start anything".
    urbino:

Ouch....that's gonna leave a mark ....
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    urbino:
    Um, Urbs, I'm afraid you must not familiar with the subtle nuance of the pun???