Home Non Cigar Related

Need some Blues

xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
So can anyone recommend me some good Blues singers? Nothing contemporary, just the classics please.

Comments

• BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Albert King
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    to me, "BB King: Live at the Regal" is one of the best performances of the blues in recorded history. beyond that i am a fan of John Lee Hooker. that is some old school *** right there.
    Bo Diddly is sweet and so is his rectangle guitar. If im not mistaken he was the original singer of "who do you love" that george thorogood remade and we are all probably familiar with.
    for some reason i never really got into Buddy Guy, though i do respect him as a guitarist.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    John Lee Hooker, Buddy Guy, John Mayall, (that should keep you busy for awhile), and of course Robert Johnson.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Muddy Waters. Growing up in Mississippi I've been to the crossroads.
  • oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    Howlin Wolf, Magic Sam, Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters, Elmore James, BB King, Robert Johnson, Leadbelly, Mississippi John Hurt, M Rainey, jimmy rushing, Louis Jordan, Sippie Wallace, Ruth Brown, Junior Wells, Koko Taylor, Bessie Smith, Etta James, Memphis Minnie, Skip James, Roy Milton............

If you need more, let me know haha. I am your friendly, local, walking and talking musical encyclopedia.
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ill show you a couple ,lol, video CLICKHERE video CLICKHERE video CLICKHERE video CLICKHERE video CLICKHERE the last guy mean gene was a local singer here in texas that got killed in a car wreck last year, i have 3 cd's of his i like
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Muddy, Wolf, 3 Kings... Big fan of Junior Kimbrough too and RL Burnside. Then there is Greg Allman...who should definately be in this discussion. Robert johnson, Lighting Hopkins, Mississippi John Hurt...
  • PDWIGSPDWIGS Posts: 82
    How about some Stevie Ray Vaughn, Robert Cray,Ronnie Earl...
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's some great blues listed here.
  • big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    I personally like muddy waters, little Walter, BB king, Jimmy Reed is my favorite, Albert king Robert Johnson
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    Rhamlin:
    There's some great blues listed here.
    heck yeah there is.

Also wanted to add a few names that I didn't see above, Blind Boy Fuller has a very traditional delta blues sound, Otis Talyor is just F'ing incredible, and William Elliot Whitmore is contemporary but has a very old sound. Similar to Tom Wait.

Also a big plus one for Johnny Lee Hooker, Mississippi John Hurt, Lead Belly and RL Burnside. Burnside is unique, but so F'ing cool. The Album 'Come on In' is one of my faovorites.
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    video CLICKHERE video CLICKHERE video CLICKHERE video CLICKHERE video CLICKHERE
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    oldsoulrevival:
    Howlin Wolf, Magic Sam, Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters, Elmore James, BB King, Robert Johnson, Leadbelly, Mississippi John Hurt, M Rainey, jimmy rushing, Louis Jordan, Sippie Wallace, Ruth Brown, Junior Wells, Koko Taylor, Bessie Smith, Etta James, Memphis Minnie, Skip James, Roy Milton............

If you need more, let me know haha. I am your friendly, local, walking and talking musical encyclopedia.

You stole my post!! LOL! Those were all the singers/players I would have recommended, too. Reminds me, I need to restring my Washburn...
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    So stoked at BOTH Mississippi John Hurt and RL Burnside getting mentions in one post in this thread. Two of my long time favorites, that get a lot of play time in my home. Burnside especially.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    So stoked at BOTH Mississippi John Hurt and RL Burnside getting mentions in one post in this thread. Two of my long time favorites, that get a lot of play time in my home. Burnside especially.
    All day brother...my great uncle actually played very similiar to Hurt and I have original recordings of him and my great grandpa playing in the 20's and 30's. Personally, I performed stuff like RL for years and continue to do so when I have time. I am a huge fan of the drone. I see someone mentioned Rory Gallgher too...Irish Tour and Live in Europe are essential albums. To say the guy was on fire is an understatement... Slide beast is more like it