Home General Discussion

Building my own humidor.

I bought my first humidor about a year ago when i started smoking higher quality cigars. Because im a poor college student I bought one for about 30 bucks online, to say the least i was not happy. I am planning on building a higher quality, nicer looking humidor. I have found a couple of online tutorials that i think would be useful. As a nice cigar community you are i was wondering if there are any problems you know of that people have had building their own anything i should look out for?

I am planning on using Oak for the outside and adding about 1/4 inch Spanish cedar outline for the inside. Planning on having the cedar lip above the Oak outline to have a better seal.

Any tips would be very appreciated!

Comments

• PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    There are a few threads on the site about some guys talking about doing this. I would love to do it, just don't have the time or the place to do it at the moment. I'm sure you will get some good feedback on here.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    1/4 inch.... you can save money by moving down to 1/8th inch. it wont hurt it any. the lip for the seal should be thicker.

HERE is a link that may get you off to a good start. If you have other questions after this, ill see if i can help. I dont know how much i can be being that i have never built one myself, but ill give it a go.
  • Not knowing what your woodworking skills are and, due to the fact that you're a "poor college student," I think I would recommend you go the coolerdor route for awhile. I used coolers for years with very excellent results until I had a humidor custom built for me last year. It has a capacity of approximately 50 boxes and it is excellent. I have decent woodworking abilities and even have a substantial amount of Spanish Cedar on hand, but am a little concerned about getting the seal just right. Anyway, whatever you decide to do - good luck!
  • hoffpahoffpa Posts: 14
    Thanks for the feedback, I have all the supplies and am about to start building it. Im just lost on where to find some Spanish Cedar. Online there are only a few places but shipping is 20 bucks or so. Anyone know where to get it for cheap. And or i live near the Twin citis if you know a store near there. 
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    There was some guy selling some on ebay about a month back. You could check to see if he's still on there.

Edit: Ok here's a link to the guys listing
    http://cgi.ebay.com/BUILD-YOUR-OWN-CIGAR-HUMIDOR-SPANISH-CEDAR-WITH-PLANS_W0QQitemZ260363170613QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCollectibles_Tobacciana?hash=item260363170613&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:1|39:1|240:1318
  • Hal72Hal72 Posts: 7

how is the building going!? post a picture when your done:)

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey hoff, pretty damn nice !! Now that is craftsmanship .. Now you need to fill it UP , and then build a bigger one.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Wow.. that's extremely well done! You should build more of these and start selling them.
  • dafeeshdafeesh Posts: 9
    That looks great. Do you have any issues with it or recommendations for others who want to build one? Keep up the good work!!
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Wow. Terrific job, hoff. Unlike any woodworking project I ever undertook, yours has, like, right-angles and proper miters. Looks like it probably seals well, too!
  • frogjunkfrogjunk Posts: 7
    Super! Forget what I said about the coolers. Next up for you: a large cabinet humidor.
  • Hal72Hal72 Posts: 7

very nice:)

did you use just glue when joining, or some nails. planning any exterior engraving or something!? hope you are happy with the seal.

The seal works fine. I used glue to keep it all together and the top cedar is the only glue i put for cedar, the inside box is all pressed together nicely.  im not adding any labels or anything, i like the nice clean look. I did use 1/4 inch cedar on the inside but i feel like that was too thick, i would recommend to anyone to use 1/8.
  • brc81brc81 Posts: 249
    How much money do you have invested in the build? It looks great!