Home General Discussion

Our Nicaragua Trip to My Father.

Well, last week Sun to Wed Jan 21 - Jan 25, I went with my husband and 12 others, ( all men but me mind you) went to the My Father factory in Esteli, Nicaragua. WHAT AN AMAZING PLACE!!! We met up with Jose Ortega. Traveling fromDetroit to Miami, then to Managua to Esteli, planes, buses...WOW! The My Father factory I feel is one of the best run places on this earth. Don Pepin Garcia, Jamie Garcia really know what they are doing. Don Pepin took a liking to me right away, being the only female of the group had it's perks, receiving a Ligero leaf straight from the field was fantastic, making me cry like a girl! Also while touring the factory in the aging room he gave me two Lacero cigars straight from the shelf. Which I WILL NEVER smoke! giggles. The fields were beautiful beyond belief, so lush and green. We were there early in the growing season so we were not able to see the drying process in the barns. I will try and post pictures

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a great trip, Katt. I'll look forward to some pics.

Also, welcome to the forum. I'm an ex-Michigander..... but that was a long time ago.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    That sounds awesome. Glad you had such a great time.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Ah, a trip to Cigar Mecca - all of us should be so fortunate in our lifetimes! Cant wait to see some pics, thanks for sharing with us!

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    did you tour any other factories?

Oliva and Plasencia are just around the corner.

eh, who am i kidding, the My Father Factory is the best/most advanced factory in Nicaragua. Once you go there all others seem to not live up.
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Katt68:
    Well, last week Sun to Wed Jan 21 - Jan 25, I went with my husband and 12 others, ( all men but me mind you) went to the My Father factory in Esteli, Nicaragua. WHAT AN AMAZING PLACE!!! We met up with Jose Ortega. Traveling fromDetroit to Miami, then to Managua to Esteli, planes, buses...WOW! The My Father factory I feel is one of the best run places on this earth. Don Pepin Garcia, Jamie Garcia really know what they are doing. Don Pepin took a liking to me right away, being the only female of the group had it's perks, receiving a Ligero leaf straight from the field was fantastic, making me cry like a girl! Also while touring the factory in the aging room he gave me two Lacero cigars straight from the shelf. Which I WILL NEVER smoke! giggles. The fields were beautiful beyond belief, so lush and green. We were there early in the growing season so we were not able to see the drying process in the barns. I will try and post pictures
    You just took one of my bucket list trips...some day I'll do that too. Sounds like you had a wonderful time.
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    That is AWESOME and is on my bucket list for sure! Please post pictures of possible!!!!!
  • SalemSalem Posts: 717
    Hey Katt, that sounds like SO much fun!! Oh, if only I could do that one day. I bet you did have a nice advantage being the only woman there, lol! Thanks for sharing.....and stick around.
  • big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    That sounds like you had a great time, can't wait to see the pics. That's also on my bucket list, lol hopefully next year I can try to go on a trip to the my father factory or AJ Fernandez factory
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Katt68:
    Atagirl! Good for you!
  • slickricslickric Posts: 705
    that is AWSOME. don is a great guy. i got to meet him and his little roller buddy (cant remember his name) and he was incredibly nice. cant wait for the pictures
  • Katt68Katt68 Posts: 124
    kuzi16:
    did you tour any other factories?

Oliva and Plasencia are just around the corner.

eh, who am i kidding, the My Father Factory is the best/most advanced factory in Nicaragua. Once you go there all others seem to not live up.
    Smiles. No we just went to My Father. Kevin Fitzgerald, the owner of Tobacco Shoppe of Midland, Michael Perales, Impact Force -- Kevin's rep to MF and our guide and interrupter Jose Ortega, VP of Sales for MF, put this all together for us.
    JDH:
    Katt68:
    You just took one of my bucket list trips...some day I'll do that too. Sounds like you had a wonderful time.
    Yes, I have not made up my Bucket List, but I think I will have a gard time living up to this!
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    That is AWESOME and is on my bucket list for sure! Please post pictures of possible!!!!!
    Shaun, BTW that MF S you have on your pic was one of the first ones we smoked each day!!! AMAZING smoke!
    Ok I really want to post pics but I am not sure how or where to go on here... I need DETAILED directions PLEASE... GIGGLES
    What part of MI are you from? Middle of the mitten here.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    That sounds like a great trip. Glad to hear you guys had a great time
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds awesome Katt, was wondering where you've been.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow that sound like fun!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    Katt68:
    Ok I really want to post pics but I am not sure how or where to go on here... I need DETAILED directions PLEASE... GIGGLES
    Make an account on www.photobucket.com. Use their site to upload your pics from your desktop or whatever folder you imported them to. Once they are hosted, there is a link looking selection to the right of each pic that looks like this: image just copy and paste that on here.
    Krieger:
    Katt68:
    Make an account on www.photobucket.com. Use their site to upload your pics from your desktop or whatever folder you imported them to. Once they are hosted, there is a link looking selection to the right of each pic that looks like this: image just copy and paste that on here.
    Thank you very much!
    image The Whole Group at our hotel Los Arcos in Esteli, Nicaragua image Me, Don Pepin Garcia and Bob, my Husband image Adding a stone to the rock wall the was made from all of the rocks in this field by Native people. imageimage My first attempt at rolling, and yes it IS WAY HARDER THAN IT LOOKS image
  • KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    oops, guess it didnt like my example. [ img ] pic name [ /img ] without spaces.
    image My Ligero 2006 leaf that Don Pepin gave me. It is in my humidor until I decide on how to display it. imageimage The greenhouse image the seeding machine, one of VERY few on the "Finka" farms. Everything is done BY HAND! image PIT STOP This one is for all of you MEN out there.... See the LARGE ROCK to the right of the pic, that is MY PIT STOP! GIGGLES!
    Rhamlin:
    Sounds awesome Katt, was wondering where you've been.
    This have been CRAZY around here. The holidays, the Hubby going back to teaching his classes, our daughter getting back with her classes. Then getting ready for this trip. I wish we could have been able to spend one more day there, just to relax and sight see a bit. OH WELL next time.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Thanks SO MUCH for sharing the awesome pictures with us Katt!!! Looks like the trip of a lifetime, and looks like you had a ball.

• DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    looks like an awesome trip . I'd like to take something like that one day
    The Sniper:
    Thanks SO MUCH for sharing the awesome pictures with us Katt!!! Looks like the trip of a lifetime, and looks like you had a ball.

Your welcome, this is just a VERY FEW of the pics we (hubby & myself) took. I think i have posted over 190 on my Facebook page. That is not including the short videos he took as well. I think I took close to 600 pics between to two cameras. Yes it was a trip of a life time. I just HOPE that i get to do it again.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Katt68:
    The Sniper:

Your welcome, this is just a VERY FEW of the pics we (hubby & myself) took. I think i have posted over 190 on my Facebook page. That is not including the short videos he took as well. I think I took close to 600 pics between to two cameras. Yes it was a trip of a life time. I just HOPE that i get to do it again.
    you will thank yourself later for taking so many pics.
    a year from now you will look through them and see some cigar box or some lady at a rolling table and you will remember a story or something important that you had forgotten. i took about 500 pics when i went as well. i would have got more but my batteries died and we couldnt get to a shop that quickly.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Nice pictures Katt. Looks like you had a fantastic time, thanks for sharing the pictures with us. Very KEWL!
  • MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    Great pictures Katt, very nice:-)
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...