Home Non Cigar Related

Am I the only one who doesn't like dogs????

clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
I was reading DSWarmack's thread about his next dog and, while I'm very happy for him, I couldn't help but think, once again, as I read all the following comments from fellow dog lovers, "Am I the only person who just doesn't like dogs at all???"

I've just never understood the human-dog connection. My wife loves dogs and my daughter absolutely loves dogs, so I actually got us a dog about a year ago and it didn't even last a year before we rehomed her to the mother-in-law's house because I was at the point where I absolutely dispised the dog and literally thought endlessly about how to rid myself of it. It really took me to a dark place where I was having thoughts I didn't even know I was capable of. Nothing has ever infuriated me more before or since.

Since we moved the dog to the in-laws house, everything has been so much better! They love her, my house and back yard are clean again, and my family life is over-all much better. The wife and I don't fight anymore as almost all of our fights spawned from the dog.

So am I pretty much the only human on earth that pretty much hates dogs or are there others out there? I think if I'm the only one, I can definately live with that!

Comments

• SalemSalem Posts: 717
    Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. There are people that don't like dogs, just like there are people that don't like cats, or birds, or any other manner of animals. At least you are honest with yourself and accept it. That's much better than trying to deny it and live with something you just despise. I personally love all animals, but that doesn't mean I dislike people that don't. There are many people that dislike dogs.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i will never have a dog.

ever

i dont hate dogs. i just dont want to live with one.

or cats. or any other animal (besides my wife)

in fact, i will go so far to say that i love dogs and cats as long as i can give them back once im done petting them or playing fetch with them.

if i have kids and if they want pets i will give my kids the same answer my mom gave to me when i wanted to get some crazy haircut or piercing: "when you are 18 and dont live in my house, you can do what ever the hell you want. right now you are in my house and you play by my rules"

• oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    I can't imagine life without a couple dogs.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    i will never have a dog.

ever

i dont hate dogs. i just dont want to live with one.

or cats. or any other animal (besides my wife)

in fact, i will go so far to say that i love dogs and cats as long as i can give them back once im done petting them or playing fetch with them.

if i have kids and if they want pets i will give my kids the same answer my mom gave to me when i wanted to get some crazy haircut or piercing: "when you are 18 and dont live in my house, you can do what ever the hell you want. right now you are in my house and you play by my rules"

+1

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love dogs. And kids. Just as long as they belong to someone else.

End of comment.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I hate cats.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    beatnic:
    I hate cats.
    I like cats outside. Hate indoor cats.. Jumping on counters and kitchen tables
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought the question pertained to dogs..... LOL
  • DynaguyDynaguy Posts: 51
    Earlier in life, I enjoyed dogs, raising two Golden Retrievers. Now, I can't stand them. In fact, its gotten so bad that dogs really skeeve me out. I don't want to come to your house and have your stupid dog jumping on me or shoving its nose into my hand (or anywhere else) for that matter. I don't want to have you leave your dog's poop in my yard. Guess I'm just old and cranky, go figure.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    For me it was the nastiness of it that just completely grossed me out! Once the shedding of hair and skin started happening, it was pretty close to game over for me. I'm not the biggest neat freak, but the house does have to be clean. Nothing like walking across my hard wood floors barefoot only to get to the other side of the house with a bunch of dog hair and dead skin attached to the bottom of my feet!!! To me, that's just disgusting. We could seemingly never clean enough! We haven't had the dog for nearly 2 months and I'm still sweeping and mopping up hair!

Plus, the dog always stank. We'd wash her when we were supposed to wash her or if she was just really dirty, but even when she was clean, I couldn't stand the smell. So she became an outside dog. That just made matters worse because then she really began to stink and if she came in the house for even a few seconds, the smell just lingered for forever! This is all pretty small compared to the holes dug, the back yard becoming one poop filled fly trap, the damage caused to the privacy fence, the 3 grill covers destroyed and just everything else she came in contact getting ruined. And what's crazy is that we had her trained, groomed, and medical treatments taken care of really well.

I'll never understand how anyone else deals with this sort of stuff.
    clearlysuspect:
    For me it was the nastiness of it that just completely grossed me out! Once the shedding of hair and skin started happening, it was pretty close to game over for me. I'm not the biggest neat freak, but the house does have to be clean. Nothing like walking across my hard wood floors barefoot only to get to the other side of the house with a bunch of dog hair and dead skin attached to the bottom of my feet!!! To me, that's just disgusting. We could seemingly never clean enough! We haven't had the dog for nearly 2 months and I'm still sweeping and mopping up hair!

Plus, the dog always stank. We'd wash her when we were supposed to wash her or if she was just really dirty, but even when she was clean, I couldn't stand the smell. So she became an outside dog. That just made matters worse because then she really began to stink and if she came in the house for even a few seconds, the smell just lingered for forever! This is all pretty small compared to the holes dug, the back yard becoming one poop filled fly trap, the damage caused to the privacy fence, the 3 grill covers destroyed and just everything else she came in contact getting ruined. And what's crazy is that we had her trained, groomed, and medical treatments taken care of really well.

I'll never understand how anyone else deals with this sort of stuff.
    when growing up my dad was sure our dog got hair from the house, not the other way around.
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    oldsoulrevival:
    I can't imagine life without a couple dogs.

+1
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    My opinion is biased because I have eight dogs. In my case they're more than pets, they're also my home defence. You might think this A bit excessive but the amount of break-ins locally is astounding. As for the dogs, they keep me company when I can't leave my house. So I guess what I'm saying is that although dogs may not be for everyone I personally enjoy them.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love dogs have always had them since a kid, but I couldn't imagine living with one if I didn't love it. Did that once with birds hated them dang things drove me nuts and my wife expected me to clean the cage. Gross !
    Now she's done and went and made plans for some chickens, I told her there is no way in hell I will clean that coop. I'll put it together but everything else is on her I won't have anything to do with it.
  • TokinstogieTokinstogie Posts: 46 ✭✭
    I'll never have a dog, I wouldn't want anyone hating me as much as I hate the guy next door because of his freakin barking dog.............
    I was going to say, maybe it's time I quit drinking and smoking, tear down all the Vargas girl posters and straighten out my life. But I won't.....
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RBeckom:
    My opinion is biased because I have eight dogs. In my case they're more than pets, they're also my home defence. You might think this A bit excessive but the amount of break-ins locally is astounding. As for the dogs, they keep me company when I can't leave my house. So I guess what I'm saying is that although dogs may not be for everyone I personally enjoy them.
    I agree 100% about dogs being great for home defense.
    At our previous house, there was a string of break-ins in our neighborhood and, over the course of 1 month, every single house on our street except for ours and the neighbors was broken into (we shared a backyard with the neighbors)....

I really think that our dog was a deterrent for the would be thieves. She doesn't bark often, but when she does she can have a very intimidating/angry bark and we know to look around because something's wrong.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• ScottTDawgScottTDawg Posts: 206 ✭✭
    To each his (or her) own. I like dogs if they behave (or can be taught to behave). Not a big fan of cats. My brother has one that I tolerate but I don't see the animal very often so that's ok. He likes her and has to live with her.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I'm not big on pets. Dogs included. I think they're dirty and needy, but that being said I do respect the bond between pets and their masters. I understand it, it's just not for me. I do like animals though, but hate the idea of living with them.
  • TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    Typically several blocks from home I start smiling as I look forward to my dog greeting me at the door. The dog is always glad to see me.
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    RBeckom:
    I agree 100% about dogs being great for home defense.
    At our previous house, there was a string of break-ins in our neighborhood and, over the course of 1 month, every single house on our street except for ours and the neighbors was broken into (we shared a backyard with the neighbors)....

I really think that our dog was a deterrent for the would be thieves. She doesn't bark often, but when she does she can have a very intimidating/angry bark and we know to look around because something's wrong.

Same here. Before we had A chance to move into our new house, both of the houses were striped of they're copper and aluminum. Side by side mind you. I immediately brought some of our dogs over and since then we've had no problems with thieves.
    kuzi16:
    when growing up my dad was sure our dog got hair from the house, not the other way around.
    ???? Not sure what that means????
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    I've always grown up with dogs and love them. My brother even owns a kennel for pit bulls. We have 2 small dogs though. Not much of a vicious attack but loud little yelps when someone new comes into the house. They are pretty well trained and don't do much barking. They have 1 doggy bed to share and 1 cage for sleeping at night. They aren't allowed on furniture and only eat dog food. We loved them and take them for walks. Show them love and affection...they are part the family. BUT...they do have the down side. Someone has to pick up the backyard poop. My wife sweeps every weekend to ensure there is no hair in the house. We maintain a clean home and yard, it just takes some effort to make things work. Our next dog my wife wants a great dane! I can only imagine the poop that thing leaves behind! He'll drop terds bigger than I do!
    This is funny that I started a seperate thread to NOT hyjack DSWarmack's "dog loving" thread.
    clearlysuspect:
    kuzi16:
    since the house was so full of dog hair even though he vacuumed twice a day and brushed the dog daily and took every action he could to stop shedding he was convinced that the house was actually creating the hair and the dog was picking the hair up and using it its own.

its a joke.
    guess you had to know my dads sense of humor.
    clearlysuspect:
    This is funny that I started a seperate thread to NOT hyjack DSWarmack's "dog loving" thread.
    Sorry for contributing to the hijacking your thread, brother. Just wanted to chime in on the discussion.
    Either way, to each their own about liking or disliking dogs (or any animal for that matter.)

I will say that up until a couple years ago, I never imagined I would have a dog (or any pet.) I never had animals growing up and never wanted one....then my fiance started talking about getting a dog.
    Needless to say, now that we have a dog I couldn't imagine life without one.

• Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    A friend of mine has a great saying: "Lock your dog or your spouse in the trunk of your car. Come back an hour later to let them out and tell me which one is happier to see you."
    Rob1110:
    A friend of mine has a great saying: "Lock your dog or your spouse in the trunk of your car. Come back an hour later to let them out and tell me which one is happier to see you."
    You know who else is happy to see you? Tax collectors, dentists, mortitians, terrorists..... You should move a few of those in with you as well! LOL
    kuzi16:
    clearlysuspect:
    kuzi16:
    since the house was so full of dog hair even though he vacuumed twice a day and brushed the dog daily and took every action he could to stop shedding he was convinced that the house was actually creating the hair and the dog was picking the hair up and using it its own.

its a joke.
    guess you had to know my dads sense of humor.
    Not sure how I got this the first time but I read, "...my dad MADE sure the dog...." instead of "...my dad WAS sure..." I think this is where I got confused.

After the dog being gone for 2 months and I'm still picking up hair when I sweep, I think you're dad may have been on to something. I'm also led to believe that in the event of Nuclear Fallout, dog hair will survive along with the cockroaches!
    jgibv:
    clearlysuspect:
    Sorry for contributing to the hijacking your thread, brother. Just wanted to chime in on the discussion.
    Either way, to each their own about liking or disliking dogs (or any animal for that matter.)

I will say that up until a couple years ago, I never imagined I would have a dog (or any pet.) I never had animals growing up and never wanted one....then my fiance started talking about getting a dog.
    Needless to say, now that we have a dog I couldn't imagine life without one.
    Yeah... well this is a "dog hating" thread so hate dogs or get out poser! LOL... (just kidding by the way.) I do actually appreciate everyone's contributions, opinions, and explanations.
    clearlysuspect:
    Yeah... well this is a "dog hating" thread so hate dogs or get out poser! LOL... (just kidding by the way.) I do actually appreciate everyone's contributions, opinions, and explanations.
    LOL.....even if this was a "dog hating thread" .... I'd be surprised if all of you "haters" could tell me, with a straight face, that you hate these kind of dogs:

dogs