Home Ratings & Reviews

Total Newb Dumbarse

Okay, I would like to say, I can not afford expensive cigars. I have to buy the really cheapos. So, that being said, what would you guys recommend for a newby?
I prefer a mild cigar with a conn. wrapper ( that I know of so far).
I bought a humi that came with 16 Victor Sinclair stogies.
4 VS corojo 5/5
4 VS Sungrown 5/5 ( Like this one)
4 VS Legacy Box Press
4 VS Legacy Double Maduro (Too full bodied for me)
I would like to know your thoughts on these stogies as well! These are all Churchill BTW !

Comments

• big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    Ive never had a Victor Sinclair, but a good connecticut i can recommend is the EP Carrillo New Wave, give that one a try
  • smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    big chunks:
    Ive never had a Victor Sinclair, but a good connecticut i can recommend is the EP Carrillo New Wave, give that one a try
    Agreed with the EP New Wave..just had my 1st one yesterday and really enjoyed it..looking forward to having another.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Haven't tried those . Don't be afraid to email The Beard and have hime price you out a few things.. You can get some great deals from the reps at ccom.
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Direwolf:
    Haven't tried those . Don't be afraid to email The Beard and have hime price you out a few things.. You can get some great deals from the reps at ccom.

+1. I've tried a few VS over the yrs. Nothing to write home about, IMHO, but leaf is leaf. Trust me, I've had worse.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    I am a big fan of both the Oliva Connecticut Reserve and the Man O War Virtue, both of which can be had at very reasonable low prices if you shop around a bit.

• Un_SubUn_Sub Posts: 210
    I'm looking at a sampler they are selling here, what do you guys think about the stogies in the Best in Show Sampler 2011. it's listed in the featured samplers.
    Un_Sub:
    I'm looking at a sampler they are selling here, what do you guys think about the stogies in the Best in Show Sampler 2011. it's listed in the featured samplers.
    Okay, here's a better question: of the featured samplers, which would you guys recommend?
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    Best in Show is definitely worth getting. Also how much per stick are you looking to spend? EDIT: One worth checking out is any of the Oliva line, the 5 Vegas Gold, Macanudo, CAO Gold, Also the House Blend purple label is a Connie
  • I've also been looking around for a good mild sampler, the best of mild 2011 seems like the most reasonable.
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    oliva conny reserve and the rocky patel conny isnt bad , also not sure how long you been smoking but didnt take me long to go from mild to medium to full,lol , when i started, so that being said you may not want to load up on milds, not sure how many i ended up giving away to an old man that lives near me that smokes anything,lol
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    jj20030:
    oliva conny reserve and the rocky patel conny isnt bad , also not sure how long you been smoking but didnt take me long to go from mild to medium to full,lol , when i started, so that being said you may not want to load up on milds, not sure how many i ended up giving away to an old man that lives near me that smokes anything,lol
    Yea, new guys are always recommended to smoke milds as I did, but now I tend to stay away from milds and am a Full Bodied Maduro freak.
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    scarlin:
    jj20030:
    Yea, new guys are always recommended to smoke milds as I did, but now I tend to stay away from milds and am a Full Bodied Maduro freak.
    i am going to suggest the H. UPMANN reserve maduro , for you a mild maduro, im smoking a churchill now and man i am loving this cigar, lots of smoke ,sweet flavors, chewy, and smooth , nice maduro, i got this one just a month ago in the stinky ashtray sampler, try some cameroons too for a sweet mild smoke
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    If you're not looking to spend much I would recommend one of the c.com house blend samplers. That way you can learn about some of the different wrappers/flavor profiles and start figuring out what you like and don't like.

As mentioned before, if you like mild connies the c.com Purple Label is great for the money. For an inexpensive maduro, the Montesino maduro (by Fuente) is the one that made me realize how awesome maduro cigars are at a time when I was turned off by fuller bodied maduros. Now I am a maduro ho.
    I'm looking at a 400 ct display humidor cabinet, so right now $60 bones is all I can swing and looking to get quantity as well as quality, That is why I was looking at the best in show!
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I recommend skipping the 400 ct display humidor cabinet, going the route of coolidor and putting all the money you save into better cigars. Best in show is a good sampler, daily deals and sprint sale are good all the time.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best in show sampler is the way to go. Great deal on an awesome variety of cigars.
    Also as other have mentioned, any of the CCOM house blends are great, affordable smokes running just about $2/stick on box prices.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

bigharpoon:
    I recommend skipping the 400 ct display humidor cabinet, going the route of coolidor and putting all the money you save into better cigars. Best in show is a good sampler, daily deals and sprint sale are good all the time.
    Brother, you're gonna sh*t a brick when you find out what I'm paying for this big boy! I'll post what I paid when it is said and done!
  • bobojobobojo Posts: 13
    If you want to go for quantity, I would recommend taking a look at the Thrifty Thirty sampler (under "variety samplers"). Some pretty solid mild-medium smokes in there for $2 a pop.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    For what you have said so far I think the Best in Show will give you some very good quality. I purchased that sampler a few months back and it is really good. Also if you are looking for quality the Fernandez taster pack would be really hard to beat! I doubt there would be more than 1 or 2 you wouldn't like from that line up. Either of these will give you a range of mild to full smokes. If you are wanting to go all mild-med the Oliva Conn. reserve or check out the Gurkha Beauty 10 pack on the Guerrilla Warfare special if they are still running it.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I stated it earlier and really meant it.. The Best of Show Sampler 2011 was the best fifty bucks I spent last year. Loved them all and found several must have sticks in that package.
    ok. I'm convinced. I ordered the best in show 2011 today.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    When u get a chance, u should try the San lotano Connecticut.

"Long ashes my friends."

Krieg:
    When u get a chance, u should try the San lotano Connecticut.

I will do that.
    jj20030:

I have learned, It helps if you know what the hell you are doing. It helps to light the thing properly and not try to kill a Churchill in 30 min.
    After some research I have tried the Double Maduro again,and found it to be better than the Conny... Though the cheap stogies I have are not that great to begin with. Will remedy that ASAP.
    Un_Sub:
    I'm looking at a 400 ct display humidor cabinet, so right now $60 bones is all I can swing and looking to get quantity as well as quality, That is why I was looking at the best in show!

Got it in today, Just need to get some sticks in there. It's NAKED!!!!Lol
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Un_Sub:
    Un_Sub:

Wrong choice in words, my friend... BORK's, let the carnage begin!!!
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd guess that the best in show would be a good one, though the only one I've had is the Pueblos( which are frikin great!) I know most people seem to really like the rest. As for the Victor Sinclairs never had one I liked. Smokeable is about as high as I could rate them.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    One of the better bang-for-your-buck smokes out there has always been IMO all of the Flor de Olivas. good solid sticks for a pretty nice price. An email to one of the reps should land you a pretty nice sampler of these for close to nothing out of your wallet.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Un_Sub:
    Un_Sub:

I have that exact same humidor. I took out the bottom shelf to make room for some boxes. Works well!

"Long ashes my friends."

Krieg:
    Un_Sub:
    Un_Sub:

I have that exact same humidor. I took out the bottom shelf to make room for some boxes. Works well!

I like it, looking to set up some heartfelt beads in it!