Home General Discussion

AJ fresh rolled.....

Are these bundled right off the rolling table with no factory aging at all?

Comments

• ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    NightHawk:
    Are these bundled right off the rolling table with no factory aging at all?
    Yes I believe so, I think they are so fresh you will want to spank them :)
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    I've got a fiver on the way. Can't wait!
  • grannejagranneja Posts: 382
    Don't forget to review and give your opinion if they are a buy or not!!! I was wondering about these and whether they are better than the GH V. 2002 or the 1844.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I had one ROTT. I'm no expert, but it was somewhat harsh? It was peppery, but also some other factor. I think I'll just let them rest. They may still be sweating ammonia. Tasty wrapper.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    beatnic:
    I had one ROTT. I'm no expert, but it was somewhat harsh? It was peppery, but also some other factor. I think I'll just let them rest. They may still be sweating ammonia. Tasty wrapper.
    His wrapper is always truly amazing. Resting the sticks is gonna be the hard part. For $2/stick... I'm gonna be looking for a good daily cigar.... not a cigar that'll be a good daily cigar in a year. LOL

but for those with more patients than myself, this cigar has the makings of a great cigar once it naps for a while.
    granneja:
    Don't forget to review and give your opinion if they are a buy or not!!! I was wondering about these and whether they are better than the GH V. 2002 or the 1844.
    If you like the GH V2002, buy all you can now. Cause once they are gone, they are gone. Personally, I love em. Cant beat em for the price (as a matter of fact, can't really beat em at twice the price... IMHO)
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    already plan on a 6 month rest before i even fire one up
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I thought they were a good everyday stick. Resting and aging will certainly help. I thought the construction and wrapper were very nice (as expected) and no burn issues. The pre draw reminded me of popcorn and the flavor improved as it burned. I detected no harshness in mine. The flavor is pretty much one dimensional but I expect that to improve with rest. I detected some nuts and what I would best describe as a slight nutmeg flavor. The smoke was slightly creamy with some chewy characteristics. Solid medium bodied and good for anytime consumption during the day. I was also pleased with the minimalist look of the band as AJ tends to do some pretty ornate ones.
  • NightHawkNightHawk Posts: 247
    I think it will be more AJ/MoWish/ as opposed to 1844, i would think he wouldnt put his name on anythis sub par esp with his new san lotano releases out, even on an inexpensive bundle.
    and i also love the habano wrappers, expecting something maybe similar to jdn fuerte, inexpensive bundle with a decent habano wrapper.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If their shipped straight off the rolling table and not aged at all, would putting them in your humi affect the taste of your other cigars when they start releasing all that ammonia ?
    Good question. I was wondering that myself. I would think that it would have some effect. Maybe one would put them in a separate humi?
    Rhamlin:
    If their shipped straight off the rolling table and not aged at all, would putting them in your humi affect the taste of your other cigars when they start releasing all that ammonia ?
    Go back thru this thread a few pages. kuzi gave a good answer when I asked that same question...
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    granneja:
    Good question. I was wondering that myself. I would think that it would have some effect. Maybe one would put them in a separate humi?
    http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/3/326515/ShowThread.aspx
    Thanks JJ, I thought I might of seen something about it...couldn't remember if it was here or somewhere else. It seems like we have several posts about the fresh rolled going at this time.

I think if I had some to be safe I would put them in a separate humi to spend some resting time.
    granneja:
    Thanks JJ, I thought I might of seen something about it...couldn't remember if it was here or somewhere else. It seems like we have several posts about the fresh rolled going at this time.

I think if I had some to be safe I would put them in a separate humi to spend some resting time.
    you can pick up small 20 counts for cheap that would be great for aging a bundle of these!
  • Where do I find the Fresh Rolled?
  • many thanks
    the fresh rolled theory makes sense, maybe alex can chime in and tell us if these are actually right off the table or not. ill probably smoke a few rott-ish, and let some rest a while and see if i can come up with my own theory, lol.
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    These are not fresh off the table and did undergo the proper aging in the bodega. That said, this is made with many lower priming leaves so they require much less down time before they are ready to ship which is what gave us the idea for fresh roll. They do embody a lot of the flavors one would come to expect from a cigar right off the table.
    My anticipation is rising!
    thanks for a quick reply. sounds very interesting, and more so bc of the price point!! cant wait to light one up!
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Alex Svenson:
    These are not fresh off the table and did undergo the proper aging in the bodega. That said, this is made with many lower priming leaves so they require much less down time before they are ready to ship which is what gave us the idea for fresh roll. They do embody a lot of the flavors one would come to expect from a cigar right off the table.
    Having recently smoked a few very fresh cigars from a couple of different origins, I have to say that smoking really young cigars (like, younger than we are used to as cigar smokers) is a really interesting experience, and if these capture that experience that could be very cool, especially at this pricing.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I have burned through about 10 of these now and there is a lot of variation and inconsistency. Some were quite good, a couple down right not good. I think aging is really the answer for these, too bad as they would make a good knock around cigar but I'm not going to hold on to $2 cigar the length of time it takes to fix them. The $2 cigars I buy are for smoking now, stuff that cost more I stick down in the bottom and let take a long nap
  • Cigar2Cigar2 Posts: 3 ✭✭
    I have to agree after smoking two of the robusto's. I can see some of the MOW Puro in flavors. But not in strength or refinement medium bodied smoke that need the normal aging process done on them.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    fla-gypsy:
    I have burned through about 10 of these now and there is a lot of variation and inconsistency. Some were quite good, a couple down right not good. I think aging is really the answer for these, too bad as they would make a good knock around cigar but I'm not going to hold on to $2 cigar the length of time it takes to fix them. The $2 cigars I buy are for smoking now, stuff that cost more I stick down in the bottom and let take a long nap
    +1 Im right there with ya, although lately been creatin a box of two dollar sticks for longer wait times 1 of this 1 of that, just for experimentation, but for the most part I try to burn through my cheaper smokes first, I also try to smoke the gifted smokes first too, dont know exactly why, maybe so I can enjoy it and then say thanks again, or maybe cause theyve been on my want to try list.
    Sounds like few are too impressed with this cigar, especially for an AJ. Still, there are certain expectations with a two dollar smoke that we need to keep in mind. Definitely a value stick.
    JudoChinX:
    Sounds like few are too impressed with this cigar, especially for an AJ. Still, there are certain expectations with a two dollar smoke that we need to keep in mind. Definitely a value stick.
    Agreed. I haven't tried one yet, but like you said, it is a $2 stick...

spend the $40 on a mazo, throw it in the bottom of a coolidor, and pull it out in a few years and fire one up with some friends and joke about when you bought that awesome cigar for $2!

you know why the Gran Habano Vintage 2002 is such a great $2 stick? Because it's already aged. I would venture to say that the fresh rolled AJ is probably made with tobacco of at least that high of quality, and will prob make a fine smoke some day. You can get nearly a full mazo of them for what it costs for 1 Opus X that will undoubtedly need aging... give that same dedication to some of these cheaper sticks and you might just be pleasently surprised one day.
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I see in the new catalog that these are available in Maduro now. Anyone give them a shot? Also did anyone try the coronas? My first bundle was toros and I really enjoyed them. I hope the other vitolas are pretty good too.