Home Cigar 101

Cigar Buzz or OMG I think I'm gonna...Or Oops, my rookie is showing.

I have a couple of questions the other night I was smoking my second Opus X when towards the end I got such a buzz it made me sick and I ended up emptying my stomach. Why did this happen and how can I prevent it from happening again.

I have extra bundles of smokes sitting in my bookcase, How do I maintain these since I cannot fit them into my humidore, or will they be ok as long as I do not open them.

And finally, How far down do you prefer to smoke a cigar, down to the band, down to the butt. Does this affect the flavor of the cigar or is this just a preference.

Thanks in advance everyone.  Robert

"Happiness is a long ash".

Comments

• rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Robert, most people here will say that when are you smoking a more fullbodies smoke like the OpusX you want to have a full stomach.

As for your cigars being in bundles, I doubt that will be good enough. Get yourself a tuperware that has a good seal and you can put all of your other cigars in.

How far do we smoke? It all depends on the cigar and person. All preference.
  • robert69165robert69165 Posts: 219

Hey thanks for the response, I'm still kind of a novice and would appreciate any advice. Thanks and have a great smoke! Robert

"Happiness is a long ash".

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I generally say smoke a cigar only after you eat something. Smoke a full bodied cigar on a fuller stomach. Also smoking a cigar slowly will help you as well.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Yea, that is all solid advice. After first reading it I was going to add the part about smoking slowly but the lil Squirrel beat me to it! haha That is a big thing though. With something as strong as the Opus I try to smoke where a robusto will last me an hour to an hour and 20 minutes.
  • Dude LoveDude Love Posts: 315
    I'm sure it's probably a given, but you don't inhale the smoke do you? That could definitely "green you out", especially smoking a full-bodied stick.

For the bundles, as the others said, a tupperdor is your best bet. Any tupperware container will do, as long as it's got a humidifier. Be sure to open them every couple of weeks or so to circulate fresh air.

I smoke my cigars as far down as I can. Some make it to the band sometimes they go out and I can never get a good re-light. It shouldn't affect the flavor unless it burns hot when you get farther down.
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    A full stomach is a good idea when smoking a fuller bodied cigar. I've also heard that sugar with help counter the effects of a heavy dose of nicotine.

I've also found that as the days pass and I smoke stronger cigars, the buzzes don't hit as hard.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey robert, It may be the way you were smoking ( to fast) or it nay be your tolerance to the nicotine, but full /very full cigars sometimes hit me that same way.. I remember the CAO Brazilia, and a Cuban Bolivar, hitting me pretty hard. And the Cusano, either 1959 Rare Cameroon or 1961 Sungrown, I can't remember which but one made me stop halfway because it was a powerhouse. Also It may have been I smoked fairly early in the day before eating.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    When you say "the other night I was smoking my second Opus X," do you mean your second ever, or your second that night? Cuz smoking 2 of those in one sitting could leave your clammy and unsettled no matter how much you'd eaten.
    urbino:
    When you say "the other night I was smoking my second Opus X," do you mean your second ever, or your second that night? Cuz smoking 2 of those in one sitting could leave your clammy and unsettled no matter how much you'd eaten.
    I've had 5 in a row and was fine.... =)
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    phobicsquirrel:
    urbino:
    I've had 5 in a row and was fine.... =)

everyone knows squirrels are immune .....; )
    Right. That bushy tail acts as a filter.
  • bwcarter54bwcarter54 Posts: 142
    urbino:
    I'd prefer to see it shaved. Oh darn , that's another web site.
    Ahem. You'll do well, here.
    lol...
  • TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    bwcarter54:
    urbino:
    I'd prefer to see it shaved. Oh darn , that's another web site.

So much for the burro avatars - backing to the drawing board - looking for squirrels...