Home Cigar 101

Are Xikar cutters worth the expense?

brc81brc81 Posts: 249
I've been using a cheap stainless steel double guillotine cutter since I picked up the hobby (about 3 yrs ago), but it is starting to get dull. I found a heck of a deal on a Xikar xi2 and pulled the trigger on it. I could have gotten a cutter like i had for around $6. Was the extra expense wasted or a wise investment?

Comments

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I have a xi 2 and xi3 and I like the 3 a little more. they cut really well but the shape makes it weird to hold. the right side sometimes get hung up due to the latching mechanism
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    That's actually a good question that I've wondered about for a while, but never thought to ask. As a cheaper alternative, a buddy of mine picked me up a Mean Sardine, which is made by Xicar. It's very reasonably priced and cuts well. I think he picked it up for under $15.
  • brc81brc81 Posts: 249
    I was able to get the xi2 for $18 with free shipping. Figured if I didn't act now I'd be kicking myself later.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    That's a good price for the i2, I think it is well worth that amount. As for whether Xikar cutters are worth the money they sell for? Well, in my opinion, yes and no. Yes because they do give a very good cut and they look nicer to pass to a fellow smoker than a cheapy, also the lifetime warranty is a nice feature. And then again, if all you want is an effective cut and the looks of the cutter don't matter, there is really no reason to spend more than $10 for a cutter. So, in the end it all depends on how you feel about the cutter, is it just a tool to get a job done?, or should it be an accessory that says something about you and gets a job done?
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    j0z3r:
    That's a good price for the i2, I think it is well worth that amount. As for whether Xikar cutters are worth the money they sell for? Well, in my opinion, yes and no. Yes because they do give a very good cut and they look nicer to pass to a fellow smoker than a cheapy, also the lifetime warranty is a nice feature. And then again, if all you want is an effective cut and the looks of the cutter don't matter, there is really no reason to spend more than $10 for a cutter. So, in the end it all depends on how you feel about the cutter, is it just a tool to get a job done?, or should it be an accessory that says something about you and gets a job done?

Well put Joe
  • tankbonniestankbonnies Posts: 191
    where did you get it for $18? I would jump on that
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I love my Xi cutter. I have have chad the cheap DG cutter in the past, but I got tired of them always getting dull and **** up my cigar. IMO, getting a nice sharp cutter is well worth the money. I didn't mind spending the money on my cutter, because Xikar is the last cutter I will probably ever buy. (unless I lose it)

"Long ashes my friends."

tankbonnies:
    PM Sent.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    brc81:
    tankbonnies:
    PM Sent.
    share the love, man.. share the love... PM, if you please?
    dutyje:
    brc81:
    tankbonnies:
    PM Sent.
    share the love, man.. share the love... PM, if you please?
    PM sent.
    I have a brand new one if anyone wants it. it's a xi2..
  • tankbonniestankbonnies Posts: 191
    thanks BRC..appreciate it
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I gotta weigh in on this. I just got my Xikar x12 in the mail today and cut my Man O War toro with it, holy crap this is an awesome cutter! I already chucked my cheap cutters. I dont consider myself a cigar primadonna by any means but this thing is awesome! They can be had for about 20 bucks to boot!
    Jetmech_63:
    I gotta weigh in on this. I just got my Xikar x12 in the mail today and cut my Man O War toro with it, holy crap this is an awesome cutter! I already chucked my cheap cutters. I dont consider myself a cigar primadonna by any means but this thing is awesome! They can be had for about 20 bucks to boot!
    they have xi12's???
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Xi2, sorry, i'm the king of typos :)
    lol, though I will say after getting a cutter that actually is sharp I enjoy torp's a lot more.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I got an Xi2 for Valentines day from the wife and I love it! It cuts so much more clean than any of my cheapo cutters and the free leather sheath and lifetime warranty are great deals. If any of you aren't aware just go to Xikar's site and register your cutter and they send you a free leather sheath for it. If it wears out go back on the site and register and they send a new one. Xikar's customer service is great from everything I've ever heard.
    i received the one I ordered today in the mail. Hopefully, weather permitting, I'll get to give it a try tomorrow. It seems smaller than I was expecting, but still a pretty slick little device.
  • brsmith21brsmith21 Posts: 207
    I've been using my Xi3 for a little over a week now. It does cut great, but it kind of bugs me the way it locks immediately after cutting. I then have to unlock it to get the tobacco bits out. Other than that, best cutter I've ever tried.
    brc81:
    i received the one I ordered today in the mail. Hopefully, weather permitting, I'll get to give it a try tomorrow. It seems smaller than I was expecting, but still a pretty slick little device.
    Well have ya had a chance to use the cutter yet? And if so what do ya think of it?
    PuroFreak:
    brc81:
    Well have ya had a chance to use the cutter yet? And if so what do ya think of it?
    I've been able to use it twice since I got it. It is definitely better than my old double guillotine cutter. It is a lot sharper and cuts cleaner. I'm not fond of how tobacco bits get stuck in it when it latches shut, but that is a minor complaint. Overall, I'm satisfied with the purchase.
    i just got my leather case for my cutter yesterday, took about a month to get.

"Long ashes my friends."

Krieg:
    i just got my leather case for my cutter yesterday, took about a month to get.
    I got mine on Wednesday. Took me about 2 and a half weeks to get it in.
    brsmith21:
    I've been using my Xi3 for a little over a week now. It does cut great, but it kind of bugs me the way it locks immediately after cutting. I then have to unlock it to get the tobacco bits out. Other than that, best cutter I've ever tried.
    yeah that's annoying to me too. though it cuts very well.
    I just bought a buddy of mine a Xi3 (redwood) cutter. He loves it, I also like the fact it's a little heavier than the others, balances very well in the hand.

"Long ashes my friends."

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    I just bought a buddy of mine a Xi3 (redwood) cutter. He loves it, I also like the fact it's a little heavier than the others, balances very well in the hand.
    I also received a Xi3 redwood cutter as a gift. I love it, though I do see the problem that everyone else is talking about with the tobacco getting caught in it after cutting.
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Why is the lock there? I guess it makes it smaller in profile and easier to store, or is it like some strange safety feature?
  • nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    brc, pm sent.
  • adamkhaliladamkhalil Posts: 80
    Can someone pm the link to the $18 xi2 if its still available? I've been wanting a Xikar but can't justify the $40+ prices i've found since i'm a poor student (and $40 goes a long way towards ccom deals or beer!)

THANKS!

Also, i could use help on how to access a PM? LOL!
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    adamkhalil:
    Can someone pm the link to the $18 xi2 if its still available? I've been wanting a Xikar but can't justify the $40+ prices i've found since i'm a poor student (and $40 goes a long way towards ccom deals or beer!)

THANKS!

Also, i could use help on how to access a PM? LOL!
    You should see a menu in the top right corner. Just click on the link titled 'Inbox'.