Home Cigar 101

Temp Concerns

Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
All of my humi's are holding an extremely consistent 69-71rh and i use gel crystals in all but one, the last one i have boveda packets in(work like a champ on the ship where the outside rh is uber unpredictable). But my temps are 75 across the board. The house is usually 68-75 depending on the time of day and it seems the humis are following. What is "too high"(in everyones opinion) of a temp and at what point to i start worrying about beetles. Im asking now before the weather turns retardedly hot here in the CA Valley.

Comments

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    75-80 is a high temp. if you rh stays around 70-75 you should be okay though I think if your getting almost 80 degrees and 80 RH your in trouble. summer really puts a toll on these cigars. I'm dreading it. but I'm sure someone could give you a better more detailed answer.
  • bass8844bass8844 Posts: 416
    Tell me about it...here in Sacramento, 100* in summer is pretty much standard.

I've heard anything over 70 is dangerous.

What I've done is install a separate air conditioner just in my room, and I try to run that thing all day during the summer. It definately effects my electricity bill, but you figure all the money I've spent on those cigars, its worth it.

I've had one encounter with the beetles...luckily it didn't spread too much.
    These days I'm more concerned with mold. I've had a couple of little fuzzy patches here and there. I'm hoping I'm that fortunate this summer.
    I have a portable air conditioner which I might just have to leave in my office since my cigars are in their. I wish I had a basement. That's one thing I do want when we get the house. But it would have to be dry though. no leaky basement.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    phobicsquirrel:
    I have a portable air conditioner which I might just have to leave in my office since my cigars are in their. I wish I had a basement. That's one thing I do want when we get the house. But it would have to be dry though. no leaky basement.

Its heights you like Squirrel heights ....whoever heard of a basement dwelling squirrel ...maybe a nice widows walk on top of the house Squirrel to nest in
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    You've never heard of the ground squirrel?
    urbino:
    You've never heard of the ground squirrel?

Nawww ...all the bombs he's been throwin' around ...it'll be years before he comes down ...
    ha, you people crack me up! better watch it gene, I might bomb you next!!!! I'll pick the worst cigars ever!!!!!!
    phobicsquirrel:
    ha, you people crack me up! better watch it gene, I might bomb you next!!!! I'll pick the worst cigars ever!!!!!!

by your sig line you don't own any "worst cigars ever"
    ah ha, well that isn't talking about the stash I set aside for smart ****....
    phobicsquirrel:
    ah ha, well that isn't talking about the stash I set aside for smart ****....

Keep it up Squirrel ......(Cranks chainsaw ...bbbrrrrrr brrrrrrrrrrm .....)...
    mwahahahahaha
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    in the summer, my humidor gets to about 75ish. my RH is at 65%. i have yet to have problems with beetles. I wouldnt freak out too much. keep the rh lower if the temp goes up. you can get away with as low as 60% IMHO
  • ScottUScottU Posts: 194
    I keep my humidor inside my liquor cabinet. it says about 64-66% RH and 69 F. Our house stays at 71 during the day and 68 at night....
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I've relocated them to the bottom of the closet in the guest room. It dropped the temps 3-4 degrees. Another plug for Boveda 72% packets...i know they are pricey but i use them on the ship, which i just go off of 2 weeks ago so i still have 3 of them in my 200 humi...razor sharp 70 no matter where i put it or how hot it gets, thought my hygro was broke. Pretty amazing little things.
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    I always keep a few handy...just in case a drought hits and my humis are struggling to keep the 65% RH. Or when its the dead of winter and the heater is running 24/7. Either way they are nice little humidification devices that do exactly what they say.