Home Non Cigar Related

Checking in

Hey,

As at least a couple of you noticed, I haven't been around the last few weeks. School started back up, this is the first time I've had a demanding course load since taking on 2 jobs, and especially since being promoted to manager at the hotel. I'm taking a course taught by Professor James Carville, so you can imagine that's a little demanding.

I actually tried to quit one of my jobs a couple weeks ago, and was basically told "no". We're going to try to re-define my duties so that it can still work.

On top of all that, I've been shopping for a house. The bank accepted my second offer on a foreclosed property today. The house was beautifully renovated after Katrina. If all goes well, I'm trying to close in 3 weeks. And since I'm gonna have a nice sized yard, I had to get a dog. Adopted a 3 month old lab puppy from the SPCA today.

The next few weeks will be crazy with home inspections and mortgage brokers, then comes moving. Hopefully I'll have time to smoke a few cigars between all that, and stop by here from time to time.

Comments

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Sounds good scramz, though since you have been absent and did not give proper notice I will have to fine you for a number of smokes of my choosing... =)

congrats on the house, I hope to be getting a house come next year. and a lab puppy is very cute, and it's great you will have a yard for him/her to pounce in.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    nice size yard?

PARTY AT SCRAMBLERS HOUSE!!!
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Maybe instead of a house warming we could have a house herfin'....you know just to let the good cigar spirits know their welcome and all. Congrats on the house and puppy Scrambler.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Welcome back, Scramz.. I was just about to post up about you. Let me know if you need a good mortgage guy. I called 'em all (naturally, and I've got the spreadsheet to prove it) a few years ago when we bought our current house, and this guy was the best.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Scramz, the herf is on buddy. I should be back in NOLA in a few weeks I hope. Hows the little lady doing by the way?
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Good to hear from you Scramz. Sounds like your life is going by in a whoosh right now, so here's hoping you can find some time to relax with a good cigar soon.
  • ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    So, the last 7 weeks have been crazy. The goal of closing in 3 weeks was shot because the bank that foreclosed on the property didn't have title yet. Once they got title, my lender decided they weren't going to count my second job, because I've only worked 2 jobs for 1 year, not 2. Something they should have noticed right away, not 4 weeks after I applied.

I was in the process of trying to qualify with my dad as a co-signer when the city raised the income limits on their first-time homebuyer program, making me eligible. So now, I'm trying to get the finance authority to move quickly so I can close on Friday, when the second extension on the buy-sell agreement expires. Trying to get bureaucrats to move quickly isn't easy. To use the city program, the house has to pass a Housing Quality Inspection, which I found out today hasn't even been ordered yet. So even if the inspection is done tomorrow, if it doesn't pass on the first try we don't have time to correct any deficiencies.

Damn, I need a drink and a cigar.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Good to see ya around scramblin man. That's a bummer about the trouble you've been having in getting the house, hope everything works out for ya.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Hey Srcram! Brew up anything good lately? I've been playing with the still while youve been gone and finally made that rum with the sugar cane i've had in the freezer.
    How did the rum turn out? I have a batch of cabernet that I'm waiting to start on the day I move in to the new place. The hard cider is still aging in the carboy. I steal a glass every now and then, and it just keeps getting better.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Glad your cider is turning out good!! The Rum came out like crap the first time, the heat was too high and i used too much molasses. After i tweaked it and turned the molasses waaaay down, it came out awesome!! ....Want some :)
    I'd love some. And once I get this house thing behind me, I'll send your bottle back with some of my cider for you to try.
    good luck with the house bro' ...that can be a hassle ....
    some home made brew, sounds good. good luck in the house hunt.
    Good to hear from you, Scramz. Hope your house-buying woes clear up soon. Don't be such a stranger.
  • Glad to hear that you're doing well. Don't worry, the hektik time you're in right now will clear up soon and it will be smooth sailing.
    Well, I finally went to act of sale on the house on Thursday afternoon. I rented a U-Haul and moved all my stuff in that night, then picked up an antique bed and chest I had bought and stashed at my girlfriends store. Cable tv/internet got hooked up yesterday. Last night I put up a wire fence to give the dog a nice big play area until I get a gate installed at the driveway. New sofa is being delivered Tuesday. Things are finally going well. Now I just have to unpack all the boxes, buy curtains and rods, and get the sewer line repaired.

I've been too tired the last couple nights to smoke, but I think tonight I'll sit out on the deck with a big cigar and some bourbon.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Congrats scramblin man, glad to hear it's all coming together...next thing will be a Mrs. Scrambler and some little scrambles running around. :)
    cool, glad to hear you got the house. unpacking sucks but it's better than packing..
    Anybody hear from 'Bino lately what with the storms his way and all ???
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    I've been wondering the same thing.. I miss the guy and his endless wit, knowledege, and humor.
    kaspera79:
    gmill880:
    I've been wondering the same thing.. I miss the guy and his endless wit, knowledege, and humor.

Yeah man I know they got some devastating storms in his direction I'm just hoping he and his family are OK .....maybe we will hear from him soon....
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Something tells me he's Ok, probably just busy. He and Duty have been pretty scarce lately.
    very possible, I know we all do sometimes
    Hey, guys. Whatever that thing is that's telling Luko I'm okay, he should ask it for stock market advice. I'm peachy. Just busy, busy, busy with work lately. Will be for a while, yet, but I'm fine. Everybody smoke one for me. I haven't had time.
    urbino:
    Hey, guys. Whatever that thing is that's telling Luko I'm okay, he should ask it for stock market advice. I'm peachy. Just busy, busy, busy with work lately. Will be for a while, yet, but I'm fine. Everybody smoke one for me. I haven't had time.

Very glad to hear it 'Bino .....
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    Good to hear from you urbi, I'm sure you are missed around here..
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    kaspera79:
    urbino:
    Good to hear from you urbi, I'm sure you are missed around here..
    The Always Urbane Urbino is back...at least to say hello. Don't work yourself too hard...or if you do, just keep track so you can play just as hard when the opportunity presents itself.
    All work and no play makes 'Bino a old man before his time .....I'm just sayin'....prioritys and all 'Bino