Home Non Cigar Related

mosquito

ImgemboImgembo Posts: 661 ✭✭
I just killed the biggest damn mosquito i have ever seen. Im not use to the south and i am certainly not use to seeing mosquito in freaking March. I think the temp got to freezing maybe like two days all winter here so i am going to assume i will be killing alot of them this summer. looks like going to the lake wont be as enjoyable either.

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard it's already getting bad, and they're huge! How far south are you?
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • ImgemboImgembo Posts: 661 ✭✭
    im in freaking arkansas. so not that far south.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Noooo.... Don't kill the big ones! They don't bite. They eat the small ones that do bite you. You want to keep a few of those guys around!
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure it isn't just a May-fly?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    I can't promise it will work in the south but it did work in the carribean and in NY. I always bring a off fan with me when I go out to smoke at night in the summer just a idea to make it more enjoyable.
  • TIGERFANTIGERFAN Posts: 21
    clearlysuspect:
    Noooo.... Don't kill the big ones! They don't bite. They eat the small ones that do bite you. You want to keep a few of those guys around!
    That would be a Crane Fly, and they do not bite.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TIGERFAN:
    clearlysuspect:
    That would be a Crane Fly, and they do not bite.

Yeah, I didn't know what name they went by but I knew they preyed on mosquitoes and looked like a giant one, themselves.

EDIT: I just looked 'em up and learned that they DON'T prey on mosquitoes. The adult crane fly doesn't feed and the larva feed on organic matter such as decaying leaves, etc. My Bad!
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    The ones in Arkansas are quite big but they are rather slow. it's the little quiet ones that sneak up on you that do all the damage. Wait till the chiggers come out!
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    LoL! you southern folks are funny. I used to live on the edge of the Great Dismal Swamp in Virginia, however I now live in the land of 10,000 lakes which are conveniently located in one big-a$$ swamp. When your swarm of mosquitoes all hatch on the same day in the spring and blacken out the sun, we'll talk. :-)
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    So with the circle of life and all animals serve a purpose (killing off other animals, controlling certain populations etc.) What benefit do mosquitos give us?
    Roberto99:
    LoL! you southern folks are funny. I used to live on the edge of the Great Dismal Swamp in Virginia, however I now live in the land of 10,000 lakes which are conveniently located in one big-a$$ swamp. When your swarm of mosquitoes all hatch on the same day in the spring and blacken out the sun, we'll talk. :-)

I worked on the North Slope in '69. Luckily, I worked indoors. I was told that mosquitoes hatch at 52 degrees and, when it warmed up to that level, everyone who worked outdoors wore a beekeeper's headnet to avoid sucking in a lungful of mosquitoes. Luckily, it usually only lasted for a few days and then the wind would pick up and blow 'em all about 30 miles away.

I know they say the first liar never stands a chance but this story is true.
    Lasabar:
    So with the circle of life and all animals serve a purpose (killing off other animals, controlling certain populations etc.) What benefit do mosquitos give us?

They provide food for trout and other li'l fishies??
    jlmarta:
    Roberto99:

I worked on the North Slope in '69. Luckily, I worked indoors. I was told that mosquitoes hatch at 52 degrees and, when it warmed up to that level, everyone who worked outdoors wore a beekeeper's headnet to avoid sucking in a lungful of mosquitoes. Luckily, it usually only lasted for a few days and then the wind would pick up and blow 'em all about 30 miles away.

I know they say the first liar never stands a chance but this story is true.
    I believe you brother! The North Slope is some pretty serious country!
    jlmarta:
    Lasabar:

and birds and frogs and bats...
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roberto99:
    jlmarta:
    Lasabar:

and birds and frogs and bats...
    "Bats, the natural mosquito repellent"

I've seen about 4-5 bats around the backyard already and luckily I haven't had a single mosquito bite yet this year. Hopefully the bats can keep up the good work.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

Roberto99:
    I hope to never experience this.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Where can I buy me some bats !!!
    Put up some bat houses. They will come!
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    clearlysuspect:

Here in Georgia we call the big ones Skeeter Hawks. As for the Mosquito season, it's going to be A bad one. Already been killing them for weeks now.
    RBeckom:
    clearlysuspect:

Here in Georgia we call the big ones Skeeter Hawks. As for the Mosquito season, it's going to be A bad one. Already been killing them for weeks now.
    Not looking forward to that i will probably spending a good part of my summer in Georgia.
  • CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    We're already gettin bit in central KY...went and got a bag of the yard treatment to spread..it helps some, but with the mild winter we've had will surely bring these creatures out big time this year...and yeah the big ones aren't the problem..it's the little bitty gremlins with West Nile you have to worry about...