Home Cigar 101

A question regarding aging

Ok here's my question, you have cigars like Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 or 1992, Now preportedly they have been aged 10-12 years? (is this a correct assumption?). Now, do I continue, can I continue to age them for another couple of years, will this make them better or will this cause more harm than good. How long can you age a cigar under the right circumstances (humidity level, etc, etc). Just curious, let me know what you think.

Comments

• bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    I think the "aged 10-12 years" is referring more to the age in the tobacco before it is rolled. I think they tend to call this vintage tobacco for that reason. I'm not sure how long they are aged after they are rolled and before they are sold, but aging them will most likely only help them oils from all the tobaccos included in the cigar to marry together more. For some folks, this will mean they will be better, but I'm sure others would argue that they could lose an edge they have when they are not aged. In my limited knowledge, cigars can be aged for many years. They do have cigars with 40-50 years of age on them and some folks say they are excellent.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    what he said
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    bbc is right on. The only thing I would add is that aging will benefit a stronger cigar more than it will a mild-medium one. What I mean to say is that sometimes a full bodied cigar will be edgy or have some bite to it which is unpleasant for some, with aging this bite will mellow and the cigar will tend to become more balanced and less harsh. Keep in mind also that I'm not talking about 3 weeks or even 3 months, to achieve some real substantive aging, we are probably talking more along the lines of 1-5 years, and certainly longer if one is willing to put that kind of time into it.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    i can't age a cigar for 40-50years...I'd be dead by then!

"Long ashes my friends."

• kent1146kent1146 Posts: 86
    Krieg:

In Soviet Russia, cigar ages you.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    kent1146:
    Krieg:

Kim?
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    dutyje:
    kent1146:
    Krieg:

Kim?
    Yakov.
  • robert69165robert69165 Posts: 219
    Thanks for the feedback everyone, I used to smoke cigars without really understanding them, not to say I didn't appreciate them because I always went for smokes like Onyx or Partagas or A fuentes, but it wasn't until I started hanginout with you fellas that I am actually learning somthing! Cigar addict, Guilty!!!! hehe!