Home Non Cigar Related

Any Veterinarians ... Long shot.

VisionVision Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just looking to ask some questions about my little best friend and her skin disorder. Just a long shot.

Comments

• Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    I'm not a vet, but I did sleep at a holiday inn express.

What's she got?
  • CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    Vision:
    Just looking to ask some questions about my little best friend and her skin disorder. Just a long shot.
    I was a vet assistant for over 10 years...not a vet but welcome to shoot me a PM and I'll do what I can....
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My little girl has pemphigus and we are hoping for more info on her disorder. She was diagnosed in October 2010. Her symptoms, up until a month ago, were limited to her nose and her paws (and occasionally her right ear). Well, a month ago, what we initially thought was a hot spot began the extreme progression of her condition. She has lost 90% of her beautiful golden coat along with dry flaky skin that peels right off with just good looking skin underneath. She shakes a lot, is running a bit warm and although not in any pain, she just isn't her normal self. Some info...she has been on prednisone since her nose got really bad. About a year and a half. A month ago she was started on Vitamin B meds and Tetracycline. We were told it would take some time to see the results of this medication and we are finally beginning to notice. Her nose and paws (which were the first to be effected) are starting to return to "normal". These are my questions: Can I bathe her? Will it hurt her if I do? Will her hair grow back? Why is she shaking? (To us, this is the worst part) Should I give her anything for her temp?

Photobucket
    Photobucket
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    Damn brother, as I dog lover I hate to see this. I hope she recovers.
    Thanks Marine... She's our best little friend.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Pm to you Vision!
    I just want to say thank you for all the PMs. You guys really are a stand up bunch. She is one of my best friends and it kills me to see her this way.
  • CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    Have they ever talked to you about Atopica? http://www.petcarerx.com/catalog/browse.aspx?oid=54&meta=skin-coat I had my dog on this for years due to numerous skin conditions, though as in your case also this is a very slow process to heal. My dog never truley got over it (different condition though), but returned mostly back to normal....

That being said, if you bathe her it has to be a very mild shampoo with almost no active ingrediants, or it will cause more itching. Something like Allermyl is what I had to use, it is almost like water it is so thin/bland. As far as for pain, you can give baby asprin, but first ask your vet how much you can give. I found that Metacalm worked best for my dog, and can be picked up at your local vet as well.

Again this is some of the things I've had to use for years and never got a solid diagnosis other than she had an chronic allergies....though your girl has a different condition than mine, I'm sorry you and her are going through this. I know what it is like, but hang in there...hope some of what I've listed might offer comfort to her, or at least give you a few more options...Good Luck...
  • Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    for a bathing an idea that worked for my dog who has very sensitve skin and a thin coat, try an oatmeal bath. Soak oatmeal in warm water for 6-8 hours and then strain threw pantyhose and use that. The lady that bathes my dog uses it. You might be able to google it and find out exactly how it done since I have never done it myself. I would find out if it is safe to bathe her first of course. My buddy's hair would fall out and was very thin along with very sensitive skin. the hair problem has almost gone away we think it was due to anxiety but we got him a brother and he is fine. The oatmeal bath def still helps with his skin though. Hope she starts feelling better non dog owners/lovers don't understand that they become apart of your family and are like one of your kids. I understand and hope she makes a full recovery.
    Gaetano7890:
    for a bathing an idea that worked for my dog who has very sensitve skin and a thin coat, try an oatmeal bath. Soak oatmeal in warm water for 6-8 hours and then strain threw pantyhose and use that. The lady that bathes my dog uses it. You might be able to google it and find out exactly how it done since I have never done it myself. I would find out if it is safe to bathe her first of course. My buddy's hair would fall out and was very thin along with very sensitive skin. the hair problem has almost gone away we think it was due to anxiety but we got him a brother and he is fine. The oatmeal bath def still helps with his skin though. Hope she starts feelling better non dog owners/lovers don't understand that they become apart of your family and are like one of your kids. I understand and hope she makes a full recovery.

Thanks my man. The wife is looking into all types of natural stuff as we speak.

Thanks again all!