Home General Discussion

Cigar Budget?

scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
So after spending nearly $1700 on cigars and accessories this month I have decided that my "only buy rare or limited premium cigars" approach has failed..So I am putting in place a strict $100 a month rule for myself. Who else out there has a cigar budget? What is is? ...I'm disappointed at myself..

Comments

• taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    mine has been at $35 a month, but im upping it to $40 for the next few months since im working more. It is VERY hard for me stick to it...
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    I had allotted 250 for the next few months, after a seeing a lot for sale, I bought it and bombed aeon and toombes, so I blew my wad, lol. But I enjoyed it so its all good.
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a fan of this thread. Moderator, please delete this and cigar slap Scarlin. hahah jk. I'm in a worse boat than you are... I am also a bit disappointed in myself...
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No idea what my budget is. My wife tells me when I can spend and can't spend.

I do get my balls back when I go ride my Harley though. image
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    More than some , not as much as others.
  • *Petey**Petey* Posts: 375
    jliu:
    I'm not a fan of this thread. Moderator, please delete this and cigar slap Scarlin. hahah jk.
    LOL
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    A budget?? I jump for good deals... I'm way to impulsive!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • nicassionicassio Posts: 2
    $150 for me
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    scarlin:
    What is is? ...

Well, sir, that, I have been told, depends on what your definition of is is.

Have not set a budget, but I should. I probably blow seventy five to a hundred. I could do a real good job at fifty a month or an excellent job at a hundred. For one thing, couple guys have given me boxes of real good sticks in return for motorcycle wrenching favors. That helps the budget big time. In the second place, I really enjoy my buck a stick Factory Throwouts. Got to hit them now and again. Burn a mazo every two months or so. Right now, I'm working my way through a 24 stick sampler of c.com house blends that only set me back like forty bucks on sale. Couple good ones in there so far, and they don't cost much a box if you find the kind you like (so far, purple or cameroon). Then every week I drop by the B&M and score a couple five or six buck sticks to try. Sometimes I hit the two buck bin and hunt round for a good looking wrapper. So the plan would go like so: Say I hit a one buck Throwout every other night, then alternate a house blend or a six buck experiment the other nights. Skip a night now & then cause something else is going on. Maybe I'm burning two dozen a month at an average two bucks. Fifty is good. Then I have to buy a mazo to pass round the campfire when I go motorcycle camping.

I think it really helps the budget to be a noob, because you have no idea what to avoid, and you don't need more than a mild bargain to enjoy. Night before last, for instance, I burned a Carlos Torano Casa Torano robusto I scored for four bucks... and loved it for a while. Smelled to me exactly like my grandpa used to smoke. Then the last third turned soggy and hot, and I ditched it. I didn't mind because I was just experimenting. I had a good hour. When I know more what I like and what I need to avoid, I'll probably have to spend more.

Sorry. Gotta go now. A smelly **** shaped stick in the garage is calling my name.... all this talking got me thinking...

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually try to stay around 50$ a month. And around 25$ a month for Bombs and trades. But I've had to put my purchases off for the last couple months to take the family on vacation.and now looks like it'll be at least a couple more before I can place another order. Be glad to get back to work, short term disability sucks!
  • WaterDemonWaterDemon Posts: 269
    About ~$200-$250 a month.

I try and get deals online or new things at the B&M.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    my budget is simple.
    i dont ever buy humidors.
    i wont.
    if what i have is full, then i shouldnt be buying cigars. if i have room, then its ok to buy them.

the other half of that is that i have a wishlist. this is what i truly want to buy. i will not buy off the sprint unless it is on that list. i will not buy anything that is not on that list. i put a ton of thought into the list. as room becomes available, i work my way down the list. its is difficult to make it onto the list, but it is easy to remove things from it.

right now my list is as follows:
    willing to buy at MSRP (mainly because they almost never go on sale):
    box LFD airbendeer chisel
    Davidoff Gran Cru no.2 x2
    LFD Cameroon Cabinet no.1 x5
    Punch Gran Puro Pinco Bonito x5
    Humo Jaguar corona gorda x2
    Avo Domaine no.50 Box
    Davidoff Maduro Toro x5.
    Davidoff 2000 x2.
    Cigar.com american label corona one of each size.

from sprint:
    ANY LFD
    5 Vegas AAA
    Camacho Corojo (any size)

ISOM:
    Romeo Y Julieta - Exhibicion No.3
    PSD4
    punch -punch

kuzi16:
    my budget is simple.
    i wont.
    if what i have is full, then i shouldnt be buying cigars. if i have room, then its ok to buy them.

the other half of that is that i have a wishlist. this is what i truly want to buy. i will not buy off the sprint unless it is on that list. i will not buy anything that is not on that list. i put a ton of thought into the list. as room becomes available, i work my way down the list. its is difficult to make it onto the list, but it is easy to remove things from it.

Avo Domaine no.50 Box
    Davidoff Maduro Toro x5.
    Davidoff 2000 x2.

from sprint:
    ANY LFD
    5 Vegas AAA

ISOM:
    PSD4
    punch -punch

I don't even come close to having that kind of discipline.
    I don't set rules. If I do, I will only break the rules.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Medic45Medic45 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭
    It's funny I am averaging about 250 or so per month give or take 100 not counting shipping here and there ;)!!! And I have yet to make my first box purchase I keep saying i want to save for this box or that one and when payday rolls around I find myself at the b&m which we have 3 in Lexington and I avg about 50-75 at each lol I mean I can't walk into one with out buying a few sticks lol then well when I do that I see a deserving someone and well there goes the shipping lol just my little story!!!! HAHAHAHHAAHAHA
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    I.....hate....you.....all......my budget is zero, nada zip zilch. But it's cause I am saving to move. However even if we were not moving I would not spen more than 20 bucks.
  • JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    I don't really have a budget. But as of late I don't buy unless I know I like or something high on my list to try. But on average I will spend about $50-70 a month. But that will be going down soon.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    deejmemixx:
    I.....hate....you.....all......my budget is zero, nada zip zilch. But it's cause I am saving to move. However even if we were not moving I would not spen more than 20 bucks.
    I'm going to be in your shoes soon as I am in the middle of closing escrow. Hoping to get keys in a week.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    $20 per month
  • JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    $20 per month
    Are you missing a zero? Or you save up?
    rzaman:
    $20 per month
    Isn't that more like $20/cigar? I've seen the stuff you get.
    You have the coolest toys!!! ROFL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    0patience:
    rzaman:
    $20 per month
    Rip, this is a cigar budget thread not the joke thread.

It is philosophical math. You just remind me a joke:

Q: What is the difference between a mathematician and a philosopher? A: The mathematician only needs paper, pencil, and a trash bin for his work - the philosopher can do without the trash bin...
    JHewey:
    rzaman:
    $20 per month

Today at work...I had to gobble jokes from my boss for a hour and half when I was asking him for some serious input. Please try to imgine a hour and half he was telling me jokes one after another when I was really worried about the issue. Do you understand my situation? The guy who never laugh or joke.

Here is little more information. I was asking him about a budget justification memo. The deadline is tomorrow morning. His answer was "my philosophical math say - yes justified". I remind him this is a serious report going back to the regional budget office and yes can't be a justification. We need detail. He closed his door and kept me there a hour and half and told me jokes after jokes. I left his office confused. The man who never laugh, joke or drop a ball. This is really a weird world. My head is full of jokes and I am still confused.
    danielzreyes:
    0patience:
    rzaman:
    $20 per month
    Rip, this is a cigar budget thread not the joke thread.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    my budget is simple.
    i wont.

Avo Domaine no.50 Box
    Davidoff Maduro Toro x5.
    Davidoff 2000 x2.

from sprint:
    ANY LFD
    5 Vegas AAA

ISOM:
    PSD4
    punch -punch

I kind of take this approach, just not quite as specific or disciplined. If I don't have room; I generally don't buy. I also made a New Year's resolution to spend about the same on cigars that I did last year - just buy more quality but less quantity. However, there are a few daily-type smokes that I keep an eye out for.

For instance, I've recently smoked a little room in the humi, so today I bit on the A.J. corona daily deal because I love those. To take advantage of the free shipping, I added a couple sticks I've been wanting to try -- Punch Gran Puro, Fonseca 120th Anny and the OSA Sol. If I hadn't had room, I wouldn't have bit.

I also picked up several Anejo's when they were available at the beginning of the year. I won't touch one until next year. Sometime between now and then I'll pick up another order of higher end sticks to age for a year or so. Still trying to decide what that will be.
  • SmokindaddySmokindaddy Posts: 1,107
    My budget is kind of a trade off. I let my wife spend, she lets me spend. Problem is what I want to spend us usually a lot more then what she wants to spend, which doesn't work out well for me lol
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    my "budget" is dictated by the situation - basically, the "deal"........
    I now buy, pretty much exclusively from ccom, sprint, sister, and sister auction site.
    I have done extensive pricing research.......
    When there is a CRAZY deal on smokes I like - I buy, regardless of "budget"......
    I get very good deals.......
    the market forces basically has me doing most of my buying from Oct thru Mar.........my buying slows considerably in spring/summer.....there's too much activity driving up prices.........

rzaman:

It is philosophical math. You just remind me a joke:

Q: What is the difference between a mathematician and a philosopher? A: The mathematician only needs paper, pencil, and a trash bin for his work - the philosopher can do without the trash bin...
    JHewey:
    rzaman:
    $20 per month
    I'm stealing this.
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    I think next year I am going to buy 1 cigar for every win the Charlotte Bobcats have. Based on last year I will get only 7 cigars.
  • SmokindaddySmokindaddy Posts: 1,107
    scarlin:
    I think next year I am going to buy 1 cigar for every win the Charlotte Bobcats have. Based on last year I will get only 7 cigars.
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha, your missing CP3 aren't you!!! Lol
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience:
    No idea what my budget is. My wife tells me when I can spend and can't spend.

I do get my balls back when I go ride my Harley though. image

I have the same going on.... Bur she did just say "Lets buy you some cigars"