Home General Discussion

Help Me Choose

My wife and I are expecting a baby boy at the end of June. I would like some help choosing a couple of cigars for my father-in-law and I. We both like Church Hills, Long Filler and Mild. Although we do change up alot, I am looking for suggestions on a very good cigar. Not too often I treat myself to anything over $20.00 but for this occasion we will treat ourselves to the very best. Give me yalls best choice.

Thanks,

Lance

Comments

• sdipsdip Posts: 406

Congrats on the little guy. I don't really know any quality mild smokes that would run $20, but a couple of suggestions on ones you might enjoy are:

Perdomo Champagne or ESV 91

Rocky Patel Vintage 99

Avo (might get close to $20 in a B&M)

Cusano Exclusivo (if you can find them)

Gurkha Symphony ( there some's great deals on these right now. PM and I will let you know where)

• VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
    Premium milds eh...hmmm

Well, fortunately for you, mild cigars dont get pricy..its the medium+'s that do.

That being said, I pretty much have two options to suggest: Ashton Classic or Ghurka Symphony. As a matter of taste i consider the Ashton classic to be the best premium mild out there, but the ghurka symphony comes darn close. If you want to buy from here, youd have to choose the ashton anyway, ccom doesnt vendor the symphony.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Well, the one I'm going to suggest is not $20+, but it is a pretty good mild-medium smoke. I'd recommend the Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real churchill, it's the best size in that blend that I've had. Utterly smooth and creamy, the cigar practially melts on your mouth. Can you tell I like it? :)
  • Ashton Classic was my very first smoke and you are right on it is very good. Now I wanna go crazy and buy 2 smokes price is max $100.00 ea. If I understand yall are saying its hard to spend $20.00 + on a smoke I got a lot to learn I was thinking when I go and grab a $19.95 smoke of the rack I was being cheep??

Thanks Lance 

• LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Vidarien:
    Premium milds eh...hmmm

Well, fortunately for you, mild cigars dont get pricy..its the medium+'s that do.

That being said, I pretty much have two options to suggest: Ashton Classic or Ghurka Symphony. As a matter of taste i consider the Ashton classic to be the best premium mild out there, but the ghurka symphony comes darn close. If you want to buy from here, youd have to choose the ashton anyway, ccom doesnt vendor the symphony.
    Vid, when I read churchill and mild my first thought was Ashton Classic. That was the first good cigar I ever had. You definitely should go that route.
    bigtattoo79:

Ashton Classic was my very first smoke and you are right on it is very good. Now I wanna go crazy and buy 2 smokes price is max $100.00 ea. If I understand yall are saying its hard to spend $20.00 + on a smoke I got a lot to learn I was thinking when I go and grab a $19.95 smoke of the rack I was being cheep??

Thanks Lance 

You can easily spend $20 on a cigar...look into Davidoff. My opinion, and I think the general consensus, is that you don't need to spend that kind of money to get a really awesome cigar.
  • Its a good thing I asked before I walked into the B&M and said I wanna spend $200.00 bucks on 2 smokes I am willing to bet they would have found me something LOL.

Thanks Lance 

• bigtattoo79bigtattoo79 Posts: 36

We have decided to go with a few Ashton Cabinet for the smokes. I smoked one on my honey moon and thought it was good (but was kinda drunk) so will try it out again. Guys thanks for all the help.

Thanks Lance 

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I'd go with the ESG or VSG myself. Or even some AF God of Fire's.. Ashton cabinets are good but not good enough for this celebration..
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    phobicsquirrel:
    I'd go with the ESG or VSG myself. Or even some AF God of Fire's.. Ashton cabinets are good but not good enough for this celebration..

Agree with the Squirrel ..ESG or VSG better choice IMHO and congratulations
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    gmill880:
    phobicsquirrel:

I agree too but I would go with the VSG. Didn't like the one ESG I had. I'll have to give it a another try but the first VSG I had was great.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I don't know if it's me or what but it seems that a lot of 6.5 or 7 inch long cigars with a 50 ring usually go out on me at least once... One reason why I don't like the ESG's or some of the gurkhas, I feel it's a bad size.. Now if it has a large ring like 56 that's ok. I personally have a deep love for the 6x60 vsg..

phobicsquirrel:
    I don't know if it's me or what but it seems that a lot of 6.5 or 7 inch long cigars with a 50 ring usually go out on me at least once... One reason why I don't like the ESG's or some of the gurkhas, I feel it's a bad size.. Now if it has a large ring like 56 that's ok. I personally have a deep love for the 6x60 vsg..

So do you think the 6x60 vsg would be a good choice?

Am I wrong in saying the bigger the ring the smoother the smoke compared to the same smoke with a smaller ring?

Thanks Lance

gmill880:
    phobicsquirrel:

I myself would grab VSG too...but he said they prefer mild.

OK forget the Church Hill and Mild part just the best smoke $100.00 or under per smoke what would you get? This is for the party of a lifetime my wife and the birth of my child after this we will go back to our cheep $13.00-$17.00 doller smokes and be happy forever.

You guys are great

Thanks Lance    

bigtattoo79:

OK forget the Church Hill and Mild part just the best smoke $100.00 or under per smoke what would you get? This is for the party of a lifetime my wife and the birth of my child after this we will go back to our cheep $13.00-$17.00 doller smokes and be happy forever.

You guys are great

Thanks Lance    

My wife's due in Aug and I'm going to light up a GoF or Opus X, not sure which one yet. Probably the Opus.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    congrats Luko
    Luko:
    bigtattoo79:

You guys are great

Thanks Lance    

My wife's due in Aug and I'm going to light up a GoF or Opus X, not sure which one yet. Probably the Opus.

congrats to you sir. I cant wait I have a 8 yr old girl with my ex and shes my life and I am getting my little boy. Now if the darn 401k would make some money back I would be good to go lol.

Thanks Lance
    bigtattoo79:

You guys are great

Thanks Lance    

Now we're talking. In my opinion, one of the best cigars money can buy is the Padron 1964 Anniversary Imperial in the habano wrapper. With a $100 limit, you're way under too since they come in around $17. Hands down the best cigar I've had. For a little more coin, the Camacho Pre-embargo is also a very tasty smoke, in my top 10 list. So many choices, but those are my picks.