Home General Discussion

Alex Question...

gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
Alex do you know if Drew Estates still offers the Cigar Safari ? I never was able to come up with times/dates or costs involved. I know several people on here were interested in it. I was just curious as to cost and what are your opinions on the trip itself having been there ...Gene

Comments

• Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Yes, cigar safari is still in operation, but it has been less of a focal point this year and the trips are very new and have just started. To be honest, I am not 100% sure on what all is involved in the trip. I have thought about a cigar.com type trip if guys want to pay their way. It would be fairly cheap and the advantage would be you would get to see several factories instead of just one. Problem is that you want to go in the first 3 months of the year as that is when the tobacco is really in full swing. This is a bad time of year to go and after June, it is really bad. Maybe I can put something together for Q1 2010 if there is interest.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    Yes, cigar safari is still in operation, but it has been less of a focal point this year and the trips are very new and have just started. To be honest, I am not 100% sure on what all is involved in the trip. I have thought about a cigar.com type trip if guys want to pay their way. It would be fairly cheap and the advantage would be you would get to see several factories instead of just one. Problem is that you want to go in the first 3 months of the year as that is when the tobacco is really in full swing. This is a bad time of year to go and after June, it is really bad. Maybe I can put something together for Q1 2010 if there is interest.
    Hell yeah there's interest from me...I would definitely be in for something like this.
    You mean you guys would want to go to Nicaragua and learn about tobacco from some green horn like me?
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    That sounds fantastic to me and would probably better suit me financially then as well. A chance to get a bunch of the guys together and also have your guidance , I don't see how we could go wrong with that. That is a super idea that I would like to see come together. Maybe as it gets closer to that time you can give us an idea of the cost and we can see how many are interested and if its feasible. Alex you are THE man ...
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    You mean you guys would want to go to Nicaragua and learn about tobacco from some green horn like me?
    Hell yes!!! I would be out for 2010 though. Maybe if you did it as an annual thing, I could make it one day.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:

It would atleast be an EPIC herf!!!
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    I'm definitely in for Q1 2010...it's dreary in PA that time of year, perfect time to go down south and smoke em up. I dare say you're no green horn...do we need to hire a personal security force to travel to Nicaragua, though? Or we can just bring Jet, ZoomZoom and anybody else with an arsenal.
    We would not be going anywhere dangerous and I would provide armed security for the group. This is assuming we can make it work. A trip like this is no easy task.
    Alex Svenson:
    We would not be going anywhere dangerous and I would provide armed security for the group. This is assuming we can make it work. A trip like this is no easy task.

Thanks for even entertaining the idea man. If it can be worked out I think you're going to find a lot of interest in it !!!
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    Luko:
    Alex Svenson:
    I'm definitely in for Q1 2010...it's dreary in PA that time of year, perfect time to go down south and smoke em up. I dare say you're no green horn...do we need to hire a personal security force to travel to Nicaragua, though? Or we can just bring Jet, ZoomZoom and anybody else with an arsenal.
    I have an arsenal and the training. I'd volunteer if it would fit in my schedule. LOL
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Depending on cost, I would be in!
  • My best friend and  I were talking about this over olivia Vs tonight we would kill to go.
  • Depending on price and timing I would be down. CK
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I would also be in. I would just be coming off deployment so money would be no problem.
  • Dude LoveDude Love Posts: 315
    I'm down! It being next year gives me some time to save up.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    its not if i want to go its if i can afford to go.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    if the FairTax was passed, then I could probably afford to go. lol

"Long ashes my friends."

• iwsmith2iwsmith2 Posts: 65
    I'm definitely in for 2010, providing i can save enough money after i buy my house.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    rwheelwright:
    come on wheelie, just stop buying don carlos cigars... =) But like he said, show us some numbers, but I'm intrigued. Great idea Alex.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I could definitely get on board with this. Cost could be an issue, but then again 2010 gives a good amount of time for saving. I'd echo the request for some ball-park figures on cost though...as much as I'd hate to admit it, there is such a thing as too much for me. Definitely something to think about.
    phobicsquirrel:
    rwheelwright:
    come on wheelie, just stop buying don carlos cigars... =) But like he said, show us some numbers, but I'm intrigued. Great idea Alex.
    Haha. I'm trying to buy a house this year. Plus, this month is going to hurt me financially. I need to get a clarinet which is $1600, I need to tires on my S4 $900 and I need a timing belt - water pump - new plugs for my S which is another $2000. It kills me just thinking about it.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    I have an old Conn(?) clarinet that I used in Jr. High that I could let you have for a lot less!

I don't think I have the right paperwork for taking my bang bangs to a foreign land. The belt-fed won't fit in my luggage anyway.
    zoom6zoom:
    I have an old Conn(?) clarinet that I used in Jr. High that I could let you have for a lot less!

I don't think I have the right paperwork for taking my bang bangs to a foreign land. The belt-fed won't fit in my luggage anyway.
    Thanks man, but I need to get this particular one. Because I play sax and I play a really big mouthpiece, I have to get something that will accomodate this. I actually have two at home. I have a plastic Vito and a Wodden Bosey and Hawks. Both SUCK! I actually started on clarinet but switched to sax a year later and haven't really been able to play since. I have such a hard time with air flow because the clarinet can't accept the amount of air I am used to putting into a horn. One of my teachers recommended this particular clarinet because it does a better job at this for me.
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Just wondering where we stand on this little trip. I would be in for Q1 as long as I get a lot of notice.
    Goldy:
    Just wondering where we stand on this little trip. I would be in for Q1 as long as I get a lot of notice.

Alex ???
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Me too.
  • ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭

That would be freakin awesome. Though I probably wouldn't have the funds, it would be awesome.

• Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    Alex Svenson:
    Is this even a possibility anymore? I know it ain't this year but it would be awesome!!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    The last time we had a herf Fabian from Drew Estates was there and talking about Cigar Safari. He didn't say anything about whether it was a good time to go or not, but he did say that they're doing it and offering packages. I didn't catch part of what he said, but the price was totally reasonable that he gave, and it included everything but transportation to and from Nicaragua. I'm seriously thinking about going this year if everything works out and I'm in a financial position to do so...would be super cool to have a ccom Cigar safari trip.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Luko:
    Alex Svenson:
    I think between ZoomZoom and myself, we can bring enough firearms to provide security for the security team!