Home General Discussion

Does anyone know this stick?

mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
Hey guys, my dad is in Vietnam and I told him to keep an eye out for any smokes. He sends me these pics and says they are going for $7 ea. What do ya think, should I get him to send some over? Is there any way to tell if they are fakes? imageimageimage

Comments

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Easiest way in my book is to look at the construction of the stick,dissect it if you have enough then smoke one. Depending on where he's buying from some people will give you a real one first then the rest fakes so look for consistency
    Money can't buy taste
  • MephistoMephisto Posts: 508
    It's impossible to tell from the tube whether it's fake (sometimes fakes are in real tubes), but $7 sounds about right for a Romeo #3. For what it's worth, the 3s are a good smoke. It might be worth taking a chance on a few. Do you know where he can get them--I mean if its a reputable tobacconist there shouldn't be anything to worry about, but if its just a shop on the beach or some kids, might be better to avoid it.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I'd tend to think that's the real deal, the tube looks right to me. Here's a picture to compare it to, not my picture, but from a trusted source or CC info.

That said...I'm not super impressed with RyJ, and by all accounts they haven't really been "on" for several years (with the exception of a few vitolas)...so I wouldn't recommend buying more than a few for that reason and because they can be had for about $2 a stick less.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    I'd tend to think that's the real deal, the tube looks right to me. Here's a picture to compare it to, not my picture, but from a trusted source or CC info.

That said...I'm not super impressed with RyJ, and by all accounts they haven't really been "on" for several years (with the exception of a few vitolas)...so I wouldn't recommend buying more than a few for that reason and because they can be had for about $2 a stick less.
    I don't know, maybe it's picture quality, but the red on on OP's picture looks much darker than the red on this one.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    Now do they come with a band? That is usually a make or break since most have finer details than tubes
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    looks like a vibrator to me.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Direwolf:
    Lets hope it doesnt smoke like one! LOL

Hey Doc, I've got a RyJ Romeo #2 Tubo with your name on it if you'd like to try before you buy. Let me know. If memory serves it's from a mid '09 box.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Hey Doc, I've got a RyJ Romeo #2 Tubo with your name on it if you'd like to try before you buy. Let me know. If memory serves it's from a mid '09 box.
    You should see of the bar code matches, you would think they would
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    That would be amazing sir! Thank you very much! I'd be happy to trade you though!
    Mephisto:
    It's impossible to tell from the tube whether it's fake (sometimes fakes are in real tubes), but $7 sounds about right for a Romeo #3. For what it's worth, the 3s are a good smoke. It might be worth taking a chance on a few. Do you know where he can get them--I mean if its a reputable tobacconist there shouldn't be anything to worry about, but if its just a shop on the beach or some kids, might be better to avoid it.
    To my understanding, this little shop is the only place to get cigars of any kind in the town that he lives in called Bao Loc. Also, he said that from what he understood, it is not always the same brand. The guy goes in to Saigon once a month or so and gets them there.
    The Sniper:
    Direwolf:
    Lets hope it doesnt smoke like one! LOL

might chip a tooth!!!
    mmccartneydc:
    j0z3r:
    That would be amazing sir! Thank you very much! I'd be happy to trade you though!
    Shoot me a pm with your info. I'm fine with a trade and I'll let you surprise me, just don't go crazy...these are nowhere near high end.
    j0z3r:
    mmccartneydc:
    j0z3r:
    Shoot me a pm with your info. I'm fine with a trade and I'll let you surprise me, just don't go crazy...these are nowhere near high end.
    PM sent!
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    You know, it is ironic that this cigar was posted. Just today I say my DPM (Deputy Project Manager and he gave me one of these. He was just in Canada for work this week and got some of these. How strange.A
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Here is a pic of the one I tasted last night. They had 4 vitolas, cool red and white boxes, but I didn't see any tubos.

You didn't see the tubos because the picture posted is of a Cuban RyJ...naturally you wouldn't have found those at your b&m.
    LMAO. Man, I missed that one.
    How is the Romeo? I tried one of the newer blends from RyJ, Havoc I think it's called?, and wasn't sure what to think about it. Interesting flavor going in, but something about it seemed odd to me.
    It wasn't bad. I'm no expert. I posted a few words in ratings section
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    How is the Romeo? I tried one of the newer blends from RyJ, Havoc I think it's called?, and wasn't sure what to think about it. Interesting flavor going in, but something about it seemed odd to me.
    joe joe. want to try some? I have some left
    jliu:
    j0z3r:
    Thanks for the offer, but RyJ really isn't my cup of tea, and I'd hate for you to send something I probably won't enjoy. I'm always curious when these big brands get a new blend if they decided to break the mold and do something different, or continue on with the same old style...I'm usually disappointed in that regard.
    j0z3r:
    jliu:
    j0z3r:
    Thanks for the offer, but RyJ really isn't my cup of tea, and I'd hate for you to send something I probably won't enjoy. I'm always curious when these big brands get a new blend if they decided to break the mold and do something different, or continue on with the same old style...I'm usually disappointed in that regard.
    You just... You just... Denied me... Denied me?... Denied me!?
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    I had Romeo and it wasn't too bad at all.
    jliu:
    j0z3r:
    jliu:
    j0z3r:
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    Bazinga! Lol

ive been interested in these, but since im not too big of a fan of the R&J's ive had i think ill wait for more consumer feedback...
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I have some Tubos No. 2 Romeos as well. My thought would be that they are real for these aren't the most expensive smokes, and the tubo would be an extra cost in counterfeiting, but that's just me thinking out loud and I know that they make fakes for everything!
    Lasabar:
    I have some Tubos No. 2 Romeos as well. My thought would be that they are real for these aren't the most expensive smokes, and the tubo would be an extra cost in counterfeiting, but that's just me thinking out loud and I know that they make fakes for everything!
    The reasoning is pretty solid, there's not much point in counterfeiting a $5 cigar. That's why you most often see Cohiba fakes, they're pricey and always in demand...two criteria RyJ Romeo #1,2,3 tubos don't meet.
    j0z3r:
    jliu:
    j0z3r:
    jliu:
    j0z3r:
    ouchie wowchie. Someday Joe. You will not deny me. Someday. I look forward to that day (***)
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Funny you should ask. Some friends of my rolled through town last night and gave me this.

I believe they had been in the general proximity of Canada and someone gave it to them. I opened the tube and the cigar looks legit. However, it had been riding around in thier car for a while, so hopefully a little time(read a lot of time) in the humidor will do it some good.