Home General Discussion

liga privada # 9 problem

Rail_JockeyRail_Jockey Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
i love the liga privada #9, t52, FFP's ect, but today i fired up a number nine and it was the worst tasting cigar i have ever smoked. It was the third one of a threesom that i bougt from the same place at the same time...it was the only one of the three that tasted horrible. Has anyone else had something like this?

Comments

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    From what I've heard drew estate has poor qc and bum sticks are Not that uncommon.
    Money can't buy taste
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Yes....specifically at 67-69rh. They are much better at 62-63. I've also had issues with Liga lately, so far their customer service is...unkown really. I got one response, but no followup.
  • Rail_JockeyRail_Jockey Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    From what I've heard drew estate has poor qc and bum sticks are Not that uncommon.
    I read that too, and that sucks...had to put it out after about 20 minutes, and fired up a MF Le Bijou.
    Lee.mcglynn:
    I would disagree on the QC. I've never had a bum stick, and the ones I've had issues with still burned amazing. I have found that the no9 and undercrown are better served at lower rh IMO. For my money, the only better QC is Padron.
    And to interject a Kuzi moment... There are many factors that could have influenced your taste buds too. I have learned specifically what meals pair well before certain cigars, what times of day, what drinks, full stomach or kind of empty stomach, etc... I tossed a personal favorite the other day too...it happens in teh world of hand rolled cigars.
  • JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Wow. Have never heard that. I have heard some bum sticks here and there. But nothing that happens alot. But I have had a stick that just didn't taste right. But since it has only happened to me once. I didn't think it was a big deal.
    JHewey:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Wow. Have never heard that. I have heard some bum sticks here and there. But nothing that happens alot.
    I had wrapper issues with the no9 doble specifically and a couple FFP....narrowed it down to rh. then I realized when I smoked one...it affected the taste too. I've never heard of an UC issue, and honestly other than Zach's T52 stem, never heard of any major issues. My guess is this was an rh, ph, or random bad stick thing. I remember my first MOWPA....HORRID....everyone told me to buy more....and now I've smoked boxes. It happens sometimes.
    Catfish, i hear you. I felt a tear run down my cheek when i tossed it, but hey one out of a **** load that ive had so far isnt bad,,,,im with you on the Padron....that is another steady supply from the ole cabnite humidor...found a smoking hot deal yesterday on the padron 1964 maduro, so i bought 40, yea 40 of them.
    Rail Jockey:
    Catfish, i hear you. I felt a tear run down my cheek when i tossed it, but hey one out of a **** load that ive had so far isnt bad,,,,im with you on the Padron....that is another steady supply from the ole cabnite humidor...found a smoking hot deal yesterday on the padron 1964 maduro, so i bought 40, yea 40 of them.
    WHAT?!?!?! dude....LMK if you want to trade....I;ve got some stuff up, and more....

What's funny is....wait till you toss a LBJ...then you'll go...shoot...Kuzi was right. Happened to me more than once lol
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    Well the Liga 9is rolled by 8 of Drew Estates best rollers so I would hope they have good qc. I think it is more the Rh than anything and I have heard age can make it worse.
    scarlin:
    Well the Liga 9is rolled by 8 of Drew Estates best rollers so I would hope they have good qc. I think it is more the Rh than anything and I have heard age can make it worse.
    Age tends to sweeten them a bit IMO, and bring out some different flavors, but takes away form the crazy smoke production. It's weird...but they don;t make it that long at my house
    catfishbluezz:
    scarlin:
    Age tends to sweeten them a bit IMO, and bring out some different flavors, but takes away form the crazy smoke production. It's weird...but they don;t make it that long at my house
    Im lucky if they even make it home....thats why i have to buy a few at a time....
    The first thing i noticed after a few puffs, was that the ash was solid white, not even a touch of grey. must have just be a bad stick, because i didnt do anything different.....
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    Rail Jockey:
    The first thing i noticed after a few puffs, was that the ash was solid white, not even a touch of grey. must have just be a bad stick, because i didnt do anything different.....
    How much smoke did it put off? I nice LP9 puts off a constant stream of smoke. It never stops giving off smoke..
    scarlin:
    Rail Jockey:
    How much smoke did it put off? I nice LP9 puts off a constant stream of smoke. It never stops giving off smoke..
    Not much at all, all the others smoke like a freight train, and they all have this blue tinted smoke, wich is awsome, but this one just gave small amounts of grey smoke....i know strange as hell!
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Liga Privada line is having some issue lately. I hope they fix it because they have a excellent quality control procedure. I don't know what is going on.
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    For a Liga Privada stick this is more than disappointing...the premium pricing associated with them makes it even harder to justify getting them with these issues for me, IMO.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Rail Jockey:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    I read that too, and that sucks...had to put it out after about 20 minutes, and fired up a MF Le Bijou.
    it used to be good. when i visited the factory JD had a 45 minute speech about what they do to ensure quality control. i feel that something has changed. in a business employing that many people making a hand made product, it is difficult at times to weed out the problem people that make the product suck and ruin a reputation.

for YEARS i had never heard a single bad thing about DE. its only been in the last few months that i have seen a growing number of issues.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    kuzi16:
    Rail Jockey:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    it used to be good. when i visited the factory JD had a 45 minute speech about what they do to ensure quality control. i feel that something has changed. in a business employing that many people making a hand made product, it is difficult at times to weed out the problem people that make the product suck and ruin a reputation.

for YEARS i had never heard a single bad thing about DE. its only been in the last few months that i have seen a growing number of issues.
    Larger demand for product = more production = more problems...these guys are young yet...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Diamondog:
    kuzi16:
    Rail Jockey:
    Lee.mcglynn:

Larger demand for product = more production = more problems...these guys are young yet...
    that is true. id just hate to see the reputation tarnished because of growing pains after seeing what they are capable of.