Home Cigar 101

Beads in Tubes?

Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
Last year when I bought my humidor I purchased some Heartfelt Beads (65%) to use as the humidifying element...and have had nothing but trouble with them. The basic answers first; http://www.cigarstar.ca/CH013.html The humi purchased 1. Yes, I seasoned it 2. I followed the recommended guidelines for my 150 ct. humi as pertains to amounts used (actually I'm over; 4 oz. for a 150 ct.) 3. I live in Western Montana, so it is an arid climate 4. I have the beads in the tube (also sold by Heartfelt) 5. I have drop tested my seal (it is good), as well as calibrated my hygrometer (analog, admittedly) I'm beginning to wonder if the beads do not have enough available surface area (being constricted in the tube) to release their humidity fast enough given my dry ambient conditions. I have considered buying the aluminum flat case to add more beads, my thought being it would have greater surface area. I almost wish I would have followed my original intent and bought the 70% beads, but I followed recommendations and went with 65%, as most folks on that site reported that theirs actually ran 2% over. Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?

Comments

• Well what is your humi at right now? (you never stated)

• Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    Hehe...oops :P It maintains at 58% to 61% on average. On moist days it will climb to 65%. The other thing is that folks who have had luck say they do not frequently add water, but I am adding once every 7-14 days...and saturating them to boot (shaking out excess; I never have to worry about humid air making it's way into the humi which needs to be absorbed).
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭

cigars are hygroscopic themselves, they will help regulate humidity.  in other words: a full humidor will hold RH better than an empty one.  so fill that puppy up!!

second:  The Heartfelt Co. recomends you use "X " amount of beads (in ounces) for every "Y" amount of volume (in cubic feet). I have no idea what those numbers are.  I just remember when i had beads for my 50ct humidor and used the amount they said i should, it never held RH.  I doubled the amount.

...works great now.

the surface area thing is true. the more the better.

I made a box (out of a cut up cigar box (lined with plastic wrap to hep prevent mold)) to fill with beads for all of my humis.  I kept the beads in the box in the humidor as i was seasoning it so the box i made wouldnt draw out moisture after the fact.  My 3 humis hold RH so well that i have one digital hygrometer and i rotate them once a week or so.  

• Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:

cigars are hygroscopic themselves, they will help regulate humidity.  in other words: a full humidor will hold RH better than an empty one.  so fill that puppy up!!

second:  The Heartfelt Co. recomends you use "X " amount of beads (in ounces) for every "Y" amount of volume (in cubic feet). I have no idea what those numbers are.  I just remember when i had beads for my 50ct humidor and used the amount they said i should, it never held RH.  I doubled the amount.

...works great now.

the surface area thing is true. the more the better.

I made a box (out of a cut up cigar box (lined with plastic wrap to hep prevent mold)) to fill with beads for all of my humis.  I kept the beads in the box in the humidor as i was seasoning it so the box i made wouldnt draw out moisture after the fact.  My 3 humis hold RH so well that i have one digital hygrometer and i rotate them once a week or so.  

Well, the thing is nearly full now...and I have more coming :P And the number they recommend is 1 oz per 50 ct. Snowed last night a tad, so dry air today. 58% this morning. I'll see how much more I can add. Maybe I'll go to the trading page and see if someone has 8 oz of 70% they want to swap for 65%...then throw the other 8 oz out
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    in the winter its not uncommon to refill my beads every other day. the air in my area is unbelievably dry.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    1 oz per 50 ct????? I split 1 pound accross 3 humis, one is a 100 ct but I put only a bit bigger container for beads in that one.