Home Non Cigar Related

An ode to A lost brother.

RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
Johnny Leslie Beckom, A name I will never forget.
The day I was born was the day we first met.
I was the youngest, he the oldest by one year.
Twenty eight years have passed and yet I can easily shed A tear.
We were as close as only two brothers can be.
Inseparable friends he to me.
We grew up poor but we grew up strong.
In A young brothers eyes he could do no wrong.
Good times were abundant but also were some bad.
Sometimes we would fight but I never went to sleep mad.
Just as sure as we fought we quickly settled back down.
Began to play and to roam around.
Years they did pass and went way to fast.
Older we got, our childhood could not last.
We were men in A blink of An eye.
Late one night I received bad news that still makes me cry.
My brother was dead, killed in A car crash.
He was only twenty when he died, way to soon for A young life to be trashed.
Still to this day I remember him well.
It pains me for his story to tell.
My keyboard is now soaked from my own salty tears.
I cried when he died and I still cry for him after all these years.
My brother, my friend.
Your memory will live with me to the very end.

Comments

• RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Anyone else missing A loved one today?
    For some reason it has hit me hard today even after all these years.
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    I too lost my brother almost 6 years ago. He was roughly 6 years older than me, and it baffles me to think that at 26 I've nearly outlived my only sibling. That poem pretty much sums it up. There were bad times, good times, and great times. I miss him every day. Part of me has been missing ever since, but i rest assured that he's looking out for me to this day. A brother is a wonderful thing to have, and those of you who have siblings should never hesitate to tell them that you love them. Kudos to you Mr. Beckom, that is a beautiful ode. Here's to brothers, raise a glass, pour one out,whatever. Never take for granted today what could be gone tomorrow.
    pelirrojo:
    I too lost my brother almost 6 years ago. He was roughly 6 years older than me, and it baffles me to think that at 26 I've nearly outlived my only sibling. That poem pretty much sums it up. There were bad times, good times, and great times. I miss him every day. Part of me has been missing ever since, but i rest assured that he's looking out for me to this day. A brother is a wonderful thing to have, and those of you who have siblings should never hesitate to tell them that you love them. Kudos to you Mr. Beckom, that is a beautiful ode. Here's to brothers, raise a glass, pour one out,whatever. Never take for granted today what could be gone tomorrow.

Your story saddens me.
    I come from A family of five siblings.
    We rejoice in each others company as only A family that has known such A loss can.
    To you sir......
    A salute.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as you keep him in your heart he can never be truly gone brother. Lost my dad 2 years ago miss him every day. He always wanted to take a trip on the boat with me but the timing never worked out. Then all to soon it was to late. Now I take his ashes to the boat with me.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some heartbreaks never heal, yet when you touch the scar, feel the pain, the tenderness is still cherished. Be well my friend, and never forget.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    My mother is in town from retirement in Florida...
    We waxed nostalgic about my father who passed 23 years ago and we also talked about her almost dying on me two times.
    She was fine with the talk, I had to fight back tears
  • JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    I havent lost my brother but we havent talked since 1999 (his choice not mine) but i did lose my mom 17 years ago (when i was 14). Miss her and think about her everyday. i know she is up there watching over me but its saddens me that she will never get to meet my son.
    JHewey:
    I havent lost my brother but we havent talked since 1999 (his choice not mine) but i did lose my mom 17 years ago (when i was 14). Miss her and think about her everyday. i know she is up there watching over me but its saddens me that she will never get to meet my son.

Don't let to many days pass until you try to mend that bridge.
    We never know when we will be called home.
  • JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    RBeckom:
    JHewey:

Don't let to many days pass until you try to mend that bridge.
    We never know when we will be called home.
    I know. I been for years. He wants nothing to do with me and most of family.