Home Non Cigar Related

star trek

jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
this movie is so good I was blown away. I am a fan of all star trek movies and tv series, cept enterprize, havent seen that one yet. they did such a phenominal job casting these actors, and you could tell the direction was spot on for each character. the story line is incredibly bold, and well told. I was so moved at the magnitude and delicate handling of all my favorite characters, I even got a little misty.

Comments

• betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    I actually hated star trek until I saw this; diehard star wars fan, etc etc but now that I've seen this, I'm trying to get my hands on the original TV show. VERY good movie.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    if you dont like the origional, i recomend you give next generation and deep space 9 a shot. next generation is very good, some of the stories are very thought provoking, some will twist your brain. deep space 9 has a continuous story line that develops over the last 4 seasons. I would actually say it is better than next generation because of this. voyager is cool, but if your not a real star trek fan you wont like it very much. give the origional season several tries though, there are quite a few REALLY bad episodes, especialy in the first season. look for the digitaly remastered version, its on dvd and bluray
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    I did, but they stopped selling these so that they can re-release the series as a special edition after the movie, or some bull like that.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    jihiggs:
    if you dont like the origional, i recomend you give next generation and deep space 9 a shot. next generation is very good, some of the stories are very thought provoking, some will twist your brain. deep space 9 has a continuous story line that develops over the last 4 seasons. I would actually say it is better than next generation because of this. voyager is cool, but if your not a real star trek fan you wont like it very much. give the origional season several tries though, there are quite a few REALLY bad episodes, especialy in the first season. look for the digitaly remastered version, its on dvd and bluray
    I would have to agree, I liked DS9 alot even though most people didn't. I espeically liked the episode that had Tony Todd in it. Very touching episode.

"Long ashes my friends."

• MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    I'm a huge Star Trek nut (my favorite is the original), and I can't wait to see it.

Of course, I'm a little nervous about having Captain Kirk without William Shatner's brilliant acting ^_^
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I grew up with Kirk, so I was a bit nervous about this - I LOVED it. The movie writers really did justice to the greatness that is the original Trek. I heard they've got a sequel slated for 2011
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    I saw the movie Friday afternoon and can describe it with 2 words. FRICKIN AWESOME!

This was extremely well written and stuck very closely to the original series complete with green chicks and all. References were spot on too. Like reprogramming the Kobyashi Maru simulation and CPT Pike ending up in a wheelchair. I can't wait to see it again. Especially if I can find an IMAX that is showing it.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    rdnstn:
    I saw the movie Friday afternoon and can describe it with 2 words. FRICKIN AWESOME!

This was extremely well written and stuck very closely to the original series complete with green chicks and all. References were spot on too. Like reprogramming the Kobyashi Maru simulation and CPT Pike ending up in a wheelchair. I can't wait to see it again. Especially if I can find an IMAX that is showing it.
    Yeah, I totally forget to mention that - the writers gave major fan service/throw backs to the original series. Everyone in the theatre (yeah, me too) clapped everytime they made a reference - just a really great movie
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    TNG is the bomb! I am and still sad that rick berman F'd up the series, and wish they came back to the big screen.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I liked the movie but was dissapointed that it wasn't traditional trek. Have a line here and there doesn't make it traditional trek. I am a HUGE trek fan. Seeing all the pipes on the ships, part of the ship looking like a warehouse isn't what trek is about. It was magical not seeing that stuff. Plus the messed up time line stuff. It wasn't until after the TOS started that they actually saw a Romulan and that was AFTER Kirk was captain. In this movie they state the Romulans and Vulcans share a common ancestry and they can speak understand Romulan Dialect. This should not have been. Other than that the movie looked great.

I was a HIGE fan of DS9. They actually mention the Dominion in Season 1 and it builds from there. Great Show! I actually own every ST DVD there is. All the Seasons and Series, movies, animated series (which sucked). With that being said, I do not go to conventions and I do NOT dress up! I will eventually buy them on Blu-Ray but I can't do so at the moment.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    im not sure when the romulans first came into the action, I know it was after they portrayed it in the movie, but as the story went I thought it was believable. and the vulcans and the romulans DO have similar lineage, and their language is close enough you could understand the control interface of romulan if you were vulcan, of course, being spock didnt hurt one bit.
    Wheelie is right, I think kirk was the first to encounter a romulan or something a long those lines. I was pumped when I heard about a new trek film and thought it was needed but I wasn't a big fan of them trying to re-write the history. Time travel is SOOOOO boring. Many episodes deal with it, and 2 films now 3. I still want to see it but when it comes out to dvd. I still love TNG. DS9 is okay, I liked it but thought it got quite boring with the whole Klingon war (it was too drawn out) and then the dominion which was cool but again too dragged out. Still it was much better than voyager and enterprise (which I couldn't even stand). Voyager had some good episodes but I just couldn't get into the characters.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I wanted to do Ezri from DS9. So hot. Oh, so hot. Want to tough the hinie. Janeway was sexy too. I didn't like DS9 at first. I had to watch it again and it was so much better. I thought it was boring in the beginning. The first season is a little slow. Kira annoyed the hell out of me. I hated her character. Quark, funny as hell as well as O'Brian.
    lol, I'd take Marina Sirtis any day!
    phobicsquirrel:
    lol, I'd take Marina Sirtis any day!
    and LT Yar from the 1st season
  • SmokeRingSmokeRing Posts: 61
    Going to see it this weekend, can't wait!.......I'm a big fan of the original series, I'm relieved by the reviews and opinions of those I trust that the new movie is very well done, and honors the original.
    It was so good that I was going to see it again tonight...in IMAX. The wife has a migraine though so I guess I miss out on this one.
  • SlickRSSlickRS Posts: 44
    jihiggs:
    this movie is so good I was blown away. I am a fan of all star trek movies and tv series, cept enterprize, havent seen that one yet. they did such a phenominal job casting these actors, and you could tell the direction was spot on for each character. the story line is incredibly bold, and well told. I was so moved at the magnitude and delicate handling of all my favorite characters, I even got a little misty.
    I loved the movie. I just had one problem. Where was William Shatner?
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    SlickRS:
    jihiggs:
    That's funny because I heard he was very upset that they didn't offer him a role.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    alienmisprint:
    SlickRS:
    jihiggs:
    That's funny because I heard he was very upset that they didn't offer him a role.

I heard he was trying to negotiate airfare thru Priceline.Com and missed his flight ...cheapskate ... :)
  • JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    ok so my buddy works at Paramount and here is what he said about Nemoy/Shatner.

First Spock is central to the story and jj abrams HAD to have Nemoy. No ands ifs or buts. Nemoy demanded and got 4 million for his role because he got screwed on the original series royalties and such. The execs at Paramount thought this an outrageous amount for 2 weeks of Nemoys time, but they caved and Ok'd it; gambling that the movie would be a blockbuster. Then they approached shatner about being in the movie and his reply was "only if I get paid more than Nemoy". Total deal breaker

There is a second Star Trek in the works and they are trying to Shatner in on it.