Home General Discussion

Poll/ experiment

Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
Smoker Profile

Please list how you smoke (mouth only, nose, inhale, all of the above) and please list your three favorite cigar makers. If makers don't come to mind then brand or even blend and also the types of cigars your prefer... what you look for.

Ill get us started.

Style: Mouth and nose. I don't inhale. I am usually a three puff guy. Two short pulls followed by one long pull. I like to let the smoke sit on the palate for a bit, let some out of the mouth, pull it to the back of the throat, then through my nose, then back to mouth.

Favorite Makers/ Brands: Man O War Ruination, Oliva V and Liga No. 9

Preferences: Hard for me to pick all makers and no brands. Some things from makers I like and some I don't. I like a medium to full bodied cigar with a thick and moist smoke. Moist because it makes my mouth water. I don't like a cigar that dries my palate. The smoke needs to have texture and stimulate my palate evenly. I like a base of earthiness with notes of leather and spice. I don't care for notes of nuts or woods. I see some reviews where people pick out very specific and sometimes odd flavors or notes. I can't say I have really ever done that. For me it all tastes like tobacco and the specific tastes are more natural. Sometimes a cigar reminds me of something but I wouldn't say it tastes like it.

Comments

• HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    Smoker Profile

Style: Mostly mouth with occasional (tho a lot of times accidental retro through nose) I usually do a short than a long pull, let it sit a moment or two then exhale slowly

Favorite Makers/Brands: Liga T-52, Liga Undercrown, and about any Davidoff

Preferences: Like Alex I really prefer a med-full bodied smoke, and really enjoy the ones which give off power plant volumes of smoke, I love pepper bombs, and also hate smokes which dry my mouth out. Lately I've had trouble picking out "notes" from a cigar sadly (unless I smoke something distinct like a Davidoff) so I dunno if maybe I'm losing it or what.
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Style: Mouth and nose. I also don't inhale. I am a two to three puff guy. Short Short Long

Favorite Makers/ Brands: Graycliff, Cain, AJ Fernandez, Arturo Fuente

Preferences: I really dont have one or any. I try to enjoy my cigars in the company of my wife, dad and friends. If we have a good time.... I had a good cigar....
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Style- mouth mostly. Nose when I smoke a cigar that has floral or fruit notes (RyJ short churchill).

Blenders - Bolivar CC. Oliva. Fuente. AJ. Carlos Torano is up there as well.

Preference- depends on the day. Mostly caramel and nutty cigars. BRC and Oliva V top my list. Sometimes I want a lot of smoke and a palette coater like the My Father LB or Diesel d.x. There are very few cigars I dislike because I smoke them to relax. As long as they are not offensive to my mouth I can deal with it.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Style: Mouth only, usually. I don't inhale. I never gave consideration to how I make my draws, but I would have to say probably one short pull, followed by one long pull. Sometimes I let the smoke drift out up to my nose.

Favorite Makers/ Brands: Torano, A Fuente, My Father, Tatuaje, specifically the Havana

Preferences: Cameroons, first and foremost. Anything that has the sweet and spicy flavor to it. Also like Sungrowns for similar reasons. I'd probably say I tend to go medium to full body. Connecticut or blonde wrappers aren't high on my preference list.
    I don't do well with trying to describe tastes, so while I do know I tend to go for the "leathery" notes, sweet and spicy are the 2 tastes I can identify with easily.
    Also, I tend to be a "visual" buyer a lot of times. I will often buy cigars that are visually appealing, even if they don't seem to be in my "flavor" profile.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    style: Mouth and nose. dont inhale. SLOW. -1,2,3 (blow through the cigar a tiny bit then one quick draw then one "real draw) for about 50% of the time. the other 50% is one small puff then one long slow draw.

favorite makers: LFD, Davidoff, Jdn

i prefer medium bodied cigars that have little spice and a hint of sweetness. i want a longer finish and a fuller mouth feel. i smoke slow to reduce spice. i love a cigar that puts out a ton of smoke. they are fun to watch. in a milder cigar i usually like a bit of a musk.
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    Style: mouth and nose (just recently nose actually. I would say within the last month). typically one long pull. let the smoke pull towards the back of the throat but never inhaling. let half the smoke out via my mouth and then the other half via my nose.

favorite makers: Drew Estates (liga stuff), LG/LFD, camacho, padron, DPG, fuente anejo

I prefer medium to medium full cigars with overall balance. balance of cream, leather, floral notes, backdrop of spice (layered faint spice). Like Kuzi, I also really like a cigar that produces a ton of smoke. It appeals to my cool factor haha. Ligas come to mind.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Mouth and nose, I personally enjoy a cigar that only needs one puff to stay lit, and if I want more I can without it getting hot or burning funky. I like to let the smoke sit in my mouth as much as possible, and tend to retro the last 3rd of the inhale.

Favorite Makers/Brands: Liga, Padron, leaning towards Avo lately with DPG right behind.

Preferences: After smoking every maduro I could get my hands on, I really like what Liga does with maddy's, Padron anny/FR, and Diesel...otherwise I am not a huge maddy fan, but I horde those. The rest, I prefer a medium smoke that is complex and keeps me interested. I am finding I do not like the spicier habano's, and prefer the habano and few conny's with more depth. Seems like i have been drawn to the ecuadorian wrappers as of late, and love it when I get FLORAL NUTS...Jiunn ;) I love floral tastes, nuts, cinnamon, musk, leather, and most of all I love creamy smokes in all wrappers. As of late, the Curivari 4000 nails that and I can never get enough Avo classic, XO, or 787. I really get excited when a nice medium has a smooth retro, like the DPG JJ or Fonseca 120th. For all smokes, the best experience is one that is memorable as the cigar changes and keeps you on your toes. Nothing better then 2-3 profile changes.

Seriously though Alex....GET CURIVARI... Alot of your competitors have you guys on the small batch stuff. Hell....I'll bomb you guys with some Curivari if it means you'll carry it and price it competitively.
    jliu:
    Style: mouth and nose (just recently nose actually. I would say within the last month). typically one long pull. let the smoke pull towards the back of the throat but never inhaling. let half the smoke out via my mouth and then the other half via my nose.

favorite makers: Drew Estates (liga stuff), LG/LFD, camacho, padron, DPG

I prefer medium to medium full cigars with overall balance. balance of cream, leather, floral notes, backdrop of spice (layered faint spice). Like Kuzi, I also really like a cigar that produces a ton of smoke. It appeals to my cool factor haha. Ligas come to mind.
    Your such a noob...you've only had Camacho as of late and now your hooked LOL! I know the feeling...
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    jliu:

Your such a noob...you've only had Camacho as of late and now your hooked LOL! I know the feeling...
    hahah no lie. I totally am a noob. you gotta understand that i've only smoked AJ for two years. Just w/in the last half a year or so have I really understood (or rather starting to understand) other stuff. It's such an amazing enticing world
  • RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    Style: Mouth and a few through the nose. Usually I'll start with my nose around the half way point. I usually take one short pull followed by a long one. I swish the smoke around to see if my palate can detect whatever flavor there is. Then I pull to the back of my throat and out my nose. I never take it back through.

Favorite makers/ brands: Avo, Camacho, Oliva V Maduro, Drew Estates Liga Privada, El Titan De Bronze, Perdomo Lot 23 Natural, Padilla Series 68 robusto and Zino Embassy Selection, Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No.2

Preferences: Medium bodied cigars with earth, leather, spice, coffee, floral and fruity flavors. I smoke at various times of the day. Which varies my selection.
    jliu:
    catfishbluezz:
    jliu:

hahah no lie. I totally am a noob. you gotta understand that i've only smoked AJ for two years. Just w/in the last half a year or so have I really understood (or rather starting to understand) other stuff. It's such an amazing enticing world
    I'm so going to *** slap you with a 787 and ruin your head... CCom is out...sold out :( So I have to find another route in a week or two, but expect retaliation in teh near future if you send that package. Now back to Alex's thread, no more hijack
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Style: Mouth and nose. I don't inhale. Two short pulls followed by one long pull.

Favorite Makers/ Brands: Kelner, Litto Gomez, and Fuente

Preferences: Variety. I like a lot of different kinds of sticks, and it depends on my mood, time of day, where I'm at, etc. I like complex, and interesting aromas, lot's of smoke, and flavors that stick around for the entire length of the cigar. In general I prefer habano types of wrappers, but I do like some of the more premium Connecticut sticks. Occasionally I enjoy maduros, but they're not my favorite.
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Mouth and nose, I personally enjoy a cigar that only needs one puff to stay lit, and if I want more I can without it getting hot or burning funky. I like to let the smoke sit in my mouth as much as possible, and tend to retro the last 3rd of the inhale.

Favorite Makers/Brands: Liga, Padron, leaning towards Avo lately with DPG right behind.

Preferences: After smoking every maduro I could get my hands on, I really like what Liga does with maddy's, Padron anny/FR, and Diesel...otherwise I am not a huge maddy fan, but I horde those. The rest, I prefer a medium smoke that is complex and keeps me interested. I am finding I do not like the spicier habano's, and prefer the habano and few conny's with more depth. Seems like i have been drawn to the ecuadorian wrappers as of late, and love it when I get FLORAL NUTS...Jiunn ;) I love floral tastes, nuts, cinnamon, musk, leather, and most of all I love creamy smokes in all wrappers. As of late, the Curivari 4000 nails that and I can never get enough Avo classic, XO, or 787. I really get excited when a nice medium has a smooth retro, like the DPG JJ or Fonseca 120th. For all smokes, the best experience is one that is memorable as the cigar changes and keeps you on your toes. Nothing better then 2-3 profile changes. Seriously though Alex....GET CURIVARI... Alot of your competitors have you guys on the small batch stuff. Hell....I'll bomb you guys with some Curivari if it means you'll carry it and price it competitively.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Style: Mouth and Nose. Don't inhale. I like either a long drawn puff when the cigar starts and then a three puff when it get down shorter. I also purge only when the cigar shortens quite a bit for the tastes can be brought back to life from a purge.

Favorite Makers/Brands: AJ Fernandez especially the San Lotano, LFD AirBender (Smaller Ring Gauges) and then maybe..... Monte No. 4.

Preferences: I take a ton of consideration of my day as to what I smoke. If I've had a big meal a super spicy/full flavored cigar will take the cake and the flavors will dance on my palate. If I haven't eaten in awhile or the day is hot/sedentary then I shall always choose a mild cigar such as a San Lotano Connie or Rocky Patel Connie.(Or sometimes a verdadero)
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Style: nose/mouth/both - I typically blow through the nose, then the side of my mouth, then finish the exhale through my nose and straight out my mouth at the same time. I typically only take one draw, with varying levels of strength depending on how the burn is progressing and how much smoke I'm getting. If the cigar needs it, I will sometimes use the 1-2-3 method. All of this is subject to change though depending on how I feel at that moment.

Makers: DPG, Liga Privada, Habanos S.A.

Preferences: I have a LOT of varying tastes for cigars, but on the whole, what I look for is: thick smoke output, bold flavors, complexity, balance, medium or full body, quality construction/draw/burn. I can enjoy cigars with a lot of different flavor profiles as long as they smoke well and the "experience" is great.
  • tkohlertkohler Posts: 70
    Style: Mostly mouth, occasional nose. I smoke quite slowly, if I only have 1 or 2 relights on a cigar I call it a 'good burn'. I generally take one long very slow puff, but do occasionally do the 2 short one long if the cigar is cooling down too much. Even the AF short stories can take me almost an hour to smoke.

Brands: I don't really have any one brand in particular, but here's a few i've been enjoying recently: San Cristobol Del Sol, Padron, AB American Classic, Nica Libre (orig and potencia), la aroma de cuba, c.com sun grown, man o war

Preferences: My preferences are all over the place. Sometimes I really enjoy a simple one dimensional cigar, I feel like I don't have to 'pay attention' to the cigar and can be working or doing other things while smoking. Other times I enjoy very complex cigars, trying to identify what I can taste. Sometimes I like a mild, sometimes a full bodied. I like smooth and creamy, I like pepper and spice, I like wood and earth. I have yet to really identify that cigar that 'is me'. I usually prefer to try new cigars with just water, and when I can really dedicate time and thought into the smoke, to determine if I like it or not. If I know my mind will be distracted, I'll pick something I've smoked before, so I don't feel like I 'lose out' on the new smoke or anything. Maybe my preferences are all over the place because I haven't identified the cigars that I really like yet?
  • SporusSporus Posts: 236
    Style: Always retrohale, even when its so spicy it burns my face. The way I puff really depends on the draw of the cigar. If its easy its just one smooth puff, if tight, a little double-triple puff. Always let the smoke pour slowly from my orifices.

Makers: Illusione, LFD and Padron (also an AJ ****)

Preferences: In the afternoon I go for something lighter with great flavor, Epernays and Pueblo Domincano's come to mind. In the evening I want something meaty that'll stick to my palate like an LFD. All in all, though, I'm always looking to try something new.
  • bigjohn125bigjohn125 Posts: 476
    Style: mouth only. I just can't retrohale, I've tried and usually end up inhaling. I usually try for one slow, long draw, but it depends on the cigar.

Maker: RP OWR maduro, Undercrown, Anejo, RP 92

Preferences: I really don't care about body. I want a smooth, creamy, rich smoke. I like maduro, sumatra, and sometimes Conneticut wrappers,but I'm not a huge fan of cameroon wrappers. I like earthy, sweet, coffee, chocolate flavors. I like some fruit and baking spice and nutty (connie) flavors. I really don't like peppery cigars or anything that is at all harsh.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Style: Mouth/Nose no inhaling. I smoke two to three sticks a day depending on what they are. I smoke a lot of different vitolas so I smoke them different. Smaller gauge usually one quick draw and then one long one. Larger gauge or longer (like Churchill) I will take a couple of quick draws and then my long one. I have gotten into the habit of giving every stick a little clear out blow before I take my draws just to clear any old stale smoke from the last draw. I hold the smoke for a few seconds in my mouth, then let some out of my mouth, then to my nose and back to my mouth. About 50/50 of each overall.

Brands: I like a lot of different brands but I do like Nicaraguan tobacco so I also like a lot of Aj's stuff. I am also loving a lot of the DPG sticks, the E.P. Carillo Maduros and so many others. (I'm a ****... hangs head)Oliva V's, MB111's,My Father...

I tend to enjoy a cigar for what it is. Sometimes I can light up a cheaper stick and enjoy the heck out of it. Other times I light up a cigar I have been looking forward to for a long time and it doesn't quite live up to the anticipated result, but I still enjoy it. I do love smoky, spicy, peppery, earthy sticks which is why I LOVE Nicaraguan tobacco. It gives me everything I am looking for in cigars at this time. I do like a lot of blends from various countries but you can bet the Nic. leaf is the main feature if I'm loving it. As for demension and different tastes some of the luckier BOTL here seem to get... I don't. But that's OK because I like the taste of the tobacco and flavors they deliver without comparing it to other tastes which would just distract me from enjoying the stick for what it is anyway.
  • IONTCIONTC Posts: 172
    So far....always mouth. No inhalIng and hardly anything nose because of terrible chronic sinusitis. I usually take one large puff every minute or so if I'm not distracted. So far my favorites have been Oliva V, Man O' War, and Warlock. I like a medium to full with some spice and tastes of coffee/espresso.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    Style: Mouth only. I don't inhale. I usually take a couple of long puffs and then set my cigar down for a minute. I have yet to really retrohale and a blow out of the left corner of my mouth, and leave the band on until i need to remove it (if that matters at all)

Favorite Makers/ Brands: Man O War ( also their special edition and ruination) , Oliva V, 5 Vegas (all of their regular stuff minus the Gold Maduros...) Tat (especially the black), CAO (although its been awhile for me on many of their sticks), the ccom sungrown and red labels, and most anything by AJ Fernandez (his blends are in a price bracket that i can afford and are pretty dang good. id wager that 1/3-1/2 of my cigars are aj's)

Preferences: I like most any smokes just depending on when im smoking, since i usually end up lighting up in the evening and at night i tend to go med-full and i have a bunch of maduros since i enjoy their sweetness. I want the wrapper to look oily and have a deep color, im very much a visual smoker and i really enjoy a cigar that produces lots and lots of smoke :D
  • JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    Style: Mouth and nose on every draw. No inhaling. Usually only take one draw but sometimes I will do a small one then a bigger, longer one.

Makers: Liga Privada (as everyone knows on here), Padron, Tatuaje (mainly brown label and of course limited releases)

Preference: Don't really have a preference. I enjoy all except really peppery/spicy cigars. Which your probably going to wonder why I like tats. But to me they aren't bad not like my fathers. Those are just too much for me.
  • SmokindaddySmokindaddy Posts: 1,107
    Style: Mouth, retrohale, and sometimes through the nose. I can't inhale, don't have the lungs for it. As for draw, if I get a stick that is not packed tight I like a 3/4 draw, long but not to long. If I get a stick that is packed tight I will double puff.

Maker: Padron, AF, DPG, Illusione

Preferences: I like a med to full body smoke. I've always been into maduros but lately have been getting back into natties. I like a coffee, coco, dried dark fruit with a hint of spice in maduros. In natties I like a wood, honey, floral, nutty type taste.
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Style: Mouth and nose, retro on every draw but differing amounts depending on strength of cigar. Primarily one long draw, but throw in a multiple a few times to keep the burn straight.

Favorite Makers/ Brands: Oliva V, MoW line minus the Virtue, JdN

Preferences: I tend to stay with smokes in the medium and above range. While I generally go for a habano or maduro wrapper, my favorite part of the hobby, much like beer, is trying different styles. Burn quality is tops for me. I would rather smoke a "boring" one dimensional cigar that burns good than a more flavorful or complex one that requires a lot of attention. Cedar, leather, coffee, and chocolate in no particular order are my favorite flavors.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    Style: Mouth an Nose (retrohale), never inhale, I retro almost every time. I usually do 2 short puffs and then a good long draw. I find when a cigar gets lower I like to take 2 or 3 quick draws.

Favorite Makers/Brands: LP T52, San Lotano, LHCOF, Jdn, LGC Serie N, Curivari, AJ, Some Perdomo and Room 101

Preferences: I like medium to full bodied. I am really partial to PA Broadleaf, I just really like the meaty smokey flavor. I like some spice, but not a full-bodied spice bomb. I enjoy Habano and maddie wrappers. I sometimes like earthy, cedar, leather, espresso and dark chocolate with a nice mingle of spice. I also find a time for bread and creamlike flavors although those are far less with habano and maddies and more connie which sometimes have a place. I do like smoke that is plentiful and envelops your mouth and really gives you flavor, texture. I get pissed when a stick burns well but virtually no smoke is had.
  • SchroozSchrooz Posts: 165
    Style: Mouth, don't inhale. I never try nose, if I get any through the nose it just happens randomly .
    Fave sticks: Diesel shorty, MOWRuin, Oliva V

I also really look for a full tobacco flavor character and not so much on specific tastes aside from sweetness and spice. Today though, I
    had a Shorty and tasted smoked fish ----reminded me of smoked tuna and reef fish. First I noticed it
    and it really amped the smoke. My tastes in cigars are very simple in that I don't look for any wild adventures in flavors .
    I find what works and stick with it because it really ruins my day when I set 2 hours aside to relax with a smoke and a beer and the cigar stinks on me.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Style is mouth and nose for me . Retrohaling helps me pick up some more of the subtle undertones of the cigar. Never inhale. I usually take two small puff followed by a nice long puff. Favorites would be anything DPG, Fuente, and Montecristo As far as sticks I prefer medium bodied sticks that border full bodied sticks. I like to have some spiciness in a cigar and like smooth and creamy as well as earthy leather and cedar notes.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Mouth and nose but don't inhale. I preffer 2 long and slow pulls. Favorites are padron,la aurora and oliva
    Money can't buy taste
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bearing in mind that I am a mere newb, only having smoked cigars a year last month...

Mouth. Only started retrohaling a couple weeks back. I don't inhale per se; but let's face it, when you have your face surrounded by clouds of delicious smoke, you are gonna breathe up a lot of it. Kuzi just now taught me the 1,2,3 method.

Yeah, three makers is tough. I'd have to say Alec Bradley, San Lo, and Padilla if money were no object. But in truth, I get just as much enjoyment at my newb stage of palate out of Factory Throwouts, and out of your own house blends, purple, cameroon, and sun grown.

Me, I look for mild to medium, not a lot of pepper, maybe a bit of cedar, will go as spicy as a mild sungrown, and robusto is the perfect size for me. I like a cigar that's fairly consistent from end to end.

Thanks for listening.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Interesting poll, here goes.

Style - I never inhale, unless the wife makes me laugh when I'm puffing, which she does as often as she can. Not fond of the nose thing. I like for the smoke to linger on the tongue and the roof of my mouth before exhaling. I don't like to rush it. I can nurse a robusto way longer than most of my cigar buddies. Usually, I'll have something to drink while I smoke, and whatever that is, be it bourbon or scotch whiskey or iced tea, is just as important as the cigar I'm enjoying - like bacon & eggs - both enhance each other so that the two are better together than either would be alone.

AJ is my favorite blender, and my humidor is being taken over by his cigars - San Lotano, MOW PA, Ave Maria. Padron '26 is my favorite cigar (of those I can obtain legally), and the Oliva V is a close second. However, the V is the only Oliva I'm fond of, and the '26 & '64 are the only Padrons I buy. I'd say that Brickhouse and the JDN Celebracion are my favorite "bargain" cigars, and I buy more Don Pepin cigars for "special occasions" than any other blender.

Likes - I love a well constructed cigar that gives you A LOT of smoke and can be set down for a few minutes without needing a re-light. That may be one reason I like AJ's cigars so much. I like a cigar that can coat my tongue with flavor without being too strong. Straight - up medium (body and flavor) is my preference, and if a cigar will give me those qualities, at a price I can afford, I'll buy again. Having flavor "complexity" is nice, but without good construction, and a consistent, pleasant flavor that doesn't need a lot of attention is more important to me. The V is a pretty strong cigar, but it's soooooo smooth that it's strength is "tamed", and I usually burn 'em down to my fingernails, and a V maduro with a few years age on 'em is a little slice of heaven.

I want to see smaller ring sizes offered in the American market more often. I love the corona gorda, and wish that size was as common as the robusto. However, I understand that until the market demanded is there, smaller ring sizes won’t be readily available in the US market.

Dislikes - Too much "pepper blast", especially if it just doesn't quit, is something I will avoid. I don't enjoy "powerhouse" cigars, and I don't care for large ring size cigars. I don’t know why anyone would smoke a 60 ring gauge, but if that’s what turns your crank, more power to you. I will not tolerate cigars that won’t stay lit. A few touch-up’s is ok, but if I find myself constantly having to re-light. I’ll avoid it. I’m not fond of the “barnyard” smell that some cigars have, but if they have good flavor, it’s not a deal breaker.