Home Non Cigar Related

Thinking about joining the navy, any advice?

So I just called the navy hotline. I have a college degree but no direction. I'm thinking the military can help me with that. Any advice?

Comments

• Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    What kind of direction are you looking for? Are you interested in going enlisted or officer, both have advantages and disadvantages. If you already have your degree the the Officer path, especially in the Navy offers some truly awesome oportunities to which there is no limit. I'm an active duty Chief Petty Officer and heve been an Aviation Machinists Mate for the last 12 years. I love the Navy and cant imagine myself in any other line of work. Let me know if i can help you in any way shape or form, I'll be more than happy to!
  • mustluvcigarsmustluvcigars Posts: 686
    The Chief is correct about the opportunities, Recuiters will tell you alot different things, Just make sure its something you want to do. If you enlist it is a 8 year commitment to Uncle Sam. Having a degree I would pursue the Officer path. Good luck with whatever you choose.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    8 years? did it go up? I say go officer. Why navy? I have nothing against the navy just make sure you can do what you want in there. I'd say go Army but that's me =)
  • mustluvcigarsmustluvcigars Posts: 686
    unless they changed the enlistment contracts, all enlistments are are 8 years, you may only have to serve 2 or 4 as active but the rest is IRR(inactive ready reserves).
    oh, well yeah. I thought you meant 8 year enlistment..
  • goodolboygoodolboy Posts: 4
    Go Navy, Beat Army!
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    I sometimes regret not joining the armed services. though my life would certainly have turned out much different and I dont think I would change the last 5 years for anything.
  • jlzimmermanjlzimmerman Posts: 282
    Jetmech_63:
    If you already have your degree the the Officer path, especially in the Navy offers some truly awesome oportunities to which there is no limit.
    +1 Do yourself a favor and go OCS.
    goodolboy:
    Go Navy, Beat Army!
    them are fight'n words around these parts! hehe

I couldn't just stand being cramped up on a ship all the time.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    goodolboy:
    Go Navy, Beat Army!
    them are fight'n words around these parts! hehe

I couldn't just stand being cramped up on a ship all the time.

Hey, i resemble that at the moment......eh... you get used to it :)
    ..edit, nevermind.. =)
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    DON'T DO IT!!!!

Seriously though, if you already have your degree, definitely look at the officer route. There are disadvantages, but the advantages and pay far outweigh them. Also, don't limit yourself to the navy unless there is a particular reason that you are leaning that way. I am active duty army going on 19 years so of course I will say not to go navy, lol, but honestly check into all of them to see what they have to offer before making your choice. If I had to do it all over again, I would say, "Off we go, into the willd bluue yonderrrr." LOL
  • dep691dep691 Posts: 311

Marshallrocks80:
    So I just called the navy hotline. I have a college degree but no direction. I'm thinking the military can help me with that. Any advice?

Join the Air Force.

• tshawtshaw Posts: 178
    navy all the way in my opinion, but im in a navy family, thinking about doing the same thing after school myself
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    Not that it really matters to the military, but what is your degree in Marsh?