Home Cigar 101

Can fake (cuban) cigars still be good?

So I was looking on craigslist and ran across this: http://norfolk.craigslist.org/for/3190521633.html, which I believe must be fake and with some web research I came across this: http://havanajournal.com/forums/viewthread/861/

My question is... Since these are fakes I would be allowed to buy them, but would these cigars still be decent/good/worth a try? If so... How much would be a fair offer for a box of 25 fakes like 40-50$?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the "Glass Top" Cohibas in Mexico. If by good you mean absolute SUCK... sure... No... I would not buy them. A Cuban is a Cuban...... Those are made from sidewalk crack leaf from Mexico. IMO
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    10 cents a cigar would be overpaying for them......................
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    PhiAlpha1857:
    So I was looking on craigslist and ran across this: http://norfolk.craigslist.org/for/3190521633.html, which I believe must be fake and with some web research I came across this: http://havanajournal.com/forums/viewthread/861/ My question is... Since these are fakes I would be allowed to buy them, but would these cigars still be decent/good/worth a try? If so... How much would be a fair offer for a box of 25 fakes like 40-50$? Thanks in advance.
    0 dollars.... These counterfeiters are accountable to no one. These sticks are more likely to be filled with sawdust and hatred than anything resembling good tobacco.
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    I stay away from fakes. Any price at all just encourages the fakers to make more. Please don't purchase those sticks. It's hard enough to find the real ones.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    PLEASE someone email him and tell the poster that he is either a wretched con artist or a giant ****
  • Lasabar:
    PLEASE someone email him and tell the poster that he is either a wretched con artist or a giant ****
    I already told him that they were fake and if they weren't it's illegal to own/buy/sell them.
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    PhiAlpha1857:
    Lasabar:
    I already told him that they were fake and if they weren't it's illegal to own/buy/sell them.
    I wouldn't go as far as calling the guy a Chinaman. a bit harsh no?
    jliu:
    PhiAlpha1857:
    Lasabar:
    I've been to my fair share of laundromats to know what's what...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    jliu:
    PhiAlpha1857:
    Lasabar:
    not harsh if he is not aware they are fake.
    it may save him BS down the road.
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    My question is: Why would you buy fake Cubans when you can buy genuine Nicaraguans?
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even if you are getting Cuban tobacco it is the left over scraps swept up off the floor with all the boogers, dirt, dog hair, bugs, and whatever else might be down there. Kind of life slapping a tobacco leaf on the bottom of your shoe and smoking it. I won't smoke those.
  • Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    PhiAlpha1857:
    Lasabar:
    Even if they are fake if sold as geniune cuban they are as illegal as selling the real ones.
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Steve2010:
    My question is: Why would you buy fake Cubans when you can buy genuine Nicaraguans?

Or Genuine cubans. But I agree with your statement. The ever present uber coolness of being seen to be smoking a CUBAN is so powerful! Having both in my humis I still don't get people that think they are so elite they must only smoke cuban. If that makes you feel superior and able to stick your nose just a bit higher in the air, then more power to you. You will tend to notice the guys like this have to throw "CC" into every single discussion, not one post come up without reference to the ISOMS etc. You'll know the CC attention hoez when you see them. The attraction is what makes so many fakes possible. But for people who just enjoy CIGARS, they know good cigars come from all places, and you are restricting and hindering your own knowledge by thinking you're superior smoking only cuban leaf. If I had to only smoke cubans I would be disappointed.

As far as fakes, no way do not buy or smoke those fakes. You could be smoking nails, dog doo doo, fingernails, etc.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    blurr:
    Steve2010:

Or Genuine cubans. But I agree with your statement. The ever present uber coolness of being seen to be smoking a CUBAN is so powerful! Having both in my humis I still don't get people that think they are so elite they must only smoke cuban. If that makes you feel superior and able to stick your nose just a bit higher in the air, then more power to you. You will tend to notice the guys like this have to throw "CC" into every single discussion, not one post come up without reference to the ISOMS etc. You'll know the CC attention hoez when you see them. The attraction is what makes so many fakes possible. But for people who just enjoy CIGARS, they know good cigars come from all places, and you are restricting and hindering your own knowledge by thinking you're superior smoking only cuban leaf. If I had to only smoke cubans I would be disappointed.

As far as fakes, no way do not buy or smoke those fakes. You could be smoking nails, dog doo doo, fingernails, etc.
    in the same light, there are people that just like the taste of cuban cigars over other countries. most of the people that just happen to like the cuban taste still have respect and still smoke Nicaraguan, Dominican, etc...

i just feel that if you limit yourself to "only smoking Cuban cigars" you are missing out on many wonderful cigars.

i mean, there are times where LFD Airbenders are the only thing i want.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    No
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    blurr:
    Steve2010:

lol smoke Cubans for a month straight and see if your opinion remains...
    kuzi16:
    blurr:
    Steve2010:

in the same light, there are people that just like the taste of cuban cigars over other countries. most of the people that just happen to like the cuban taste still have respect and still smoke Nicaraguan, Dominican, etc...

i just feel that if you limit yourself to "only smoking Cuban cigars" you are missing out on many wonderful cigars.

i mean, there are times where LFD Airbenders are the only thing i want.
    I'm fortunate to have access to genuine Cubans and I smoke them occasionally. I thoroughly enjoy them for what they are: A cigar from a different region. That being said, They are not the be-all/end-all of cigars.
    I agree that there is a mystique about them, but with so many different blenders and blends from different countries, they are not the Holy Grail.
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    blurr:
    Steve2010:

Yikes, now I'm scared to use ISOM or CC or Cuban or anything in any of my replies!!! LOL :p. Too bad those of us (I'm Canadian, so it's legal and there is lure of the Cuban cigar other than we can purchase them if we want) who enjoy both Cuban and Non-Cuban cigars have to be labled as ....CC attention hoez??? Crap, I never thought of myself as being so shallow. "I must change my ways" I say, as I roll on the floor. I have had good and bad Cubans, good and bad non-Cubans, but in general I like cigars. I've never thought I was raising my nose to anyone for my freedom of choice. If I ever offended you, I'm sorry.

Please don't get upset over my reply...I really honestly found this funny, since I often refer to ISOM in my posts (making me a CC hoez), but never ever meant it to be snobbish or disrespectful.

I am making fun of myself because I do exactly what you describe. I just never knew it was offensive to anyone.

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    camgfs:
    blurr:
    Steve2010:

Yikes, now I'm scared to use ISOM or CC or Cuban or anything in any of my replies!!! LOL :p. Too bad those of us (I'm Canadian, so it's legal and there is lure of the Cuban cigar other than we can purchase them if we want) who enjoy both Cuban and Non-Cuban cigars have to be labled as ....CC attention hoez??? Crap, I never thought of myself as being so shallow. "I must change my ways" I say, as I roll on the floor. I have had good and bad Cubans, good and bad non-Cubans, but in general I like cigars. I've never thought I was raising my nose to anyone for my freedom of choice. If I ever offended you, I'm sorry.

Please don't get upset over my reply...I really honestly found this funny, since I often refer to ISOM in my posts (making me a CC hoez), but never ever meant it to be snobbish or disrespectful.

I am making fun of myself because I do exactly what you describe. I just never knew it was offensive to anyone.

Lol! I can't speak for anyone else, but I haven't noticed you (or any other CC smoker) coming off as snobbish at all (on this forum at least). Very cool that you can legally get em, and its quite alright if you want to talk ab em too. I'd love to try one, maybe some day. The illegality doesn't bother me as much as the hassel of finding where to get a legit one at a fair price!!

I do however sometimes get annoyed anytime I mention that I smoke and the first reply is "you ever smoked a Cuban??" Implying that Cubans are apparently the greatest thing since sliced bread (maybe so, I dunno) and no other cigar counts. Lol! I'm never quite sure what to say...

this post is getting longer than anticipated, by I wanted to add.. I just love seeing your and DD's ridiculous stash. I look at is as a learning thing, maybe if I ever go "shopping" I'll know what to look for, how to verify. And also they just look so fiiiine..
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    Buncha hoez in this thread...
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    A while back I posted a thread here on a "Cohiba - Real or Fake"
    It turned out to be a fake........I was warned not to smoke it...
    But I remember reading somewhere that some fakes are "OK"......
    so, like a dumbazz, I spark it up..........
    I swear to the almighty, I took two puffs....................wretched!! is too nice a word to describe this vile ****!
    I had a foul taste in my mouth for hours despite various "cleansing" attempts.......

I dissected it, short filler crap for sure, maybe banana leaves after all!!

@ Cove-PM
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    replied
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    For the price, it's hard to beat aged Cubans...specifically for the finish. If you like full body in your face smokes though, they are quite different. I enjoy both and have had my fair share of terrible Cubans. That being said, as of late I am drawn to aged Cubans more then anything else, but without age I am not a fan of many so it makes sense to have both to me. The curivari 4000 is a great example of an NC smoke that can go head to head with ISOM. Unfortunately, you have to pay to get a comparable experience in most cases in the NC/DC world for that profile.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    +1 to DiamondDog statement. At the same time, would like to say there are some great Non-Cuban cigars out there as well but not that many such as Padron, Opus X, some LFD, Zino Davidoff Crown series, Viaje oro reserva #5, Viaje Platino #6, La Palina 1896, Little Bill etc. I do agree each cigar producing country has their own charm to smoke with unique elements. I shared a La Palina 1896 with Abel Diaz of Cuban Partagas cigar store through a friend who is in Cuba now and he admitted that he enjoyed the smoke. I also gave him a Padron Family Reserve 45th Maduro and Natural, 1926 80th Anniversary, Forbidden X Lancero from 2003 and few more. He haven't smoke them yet. I will share the story in another thread. I am always against any counterfeit product or alternative version of any brand.
    Diamondog:
    blurr:
    Steve2010:

lol smoke Cubans for a month straight and see if your opinion remains...
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Ah Dustin...you are in big trouble. Once you are hooked with aged Cuban then you are dead. I understand it because aged Cubans are gem.
    catfishbluezz:
    For the price, it's hard to beat aged Cubans...specifically for the finish. If you like full body in your face smokes though, they are quite different. I enjoy both and have had my fair share of terrible Cubans. That being said, as of late I am drawn to aged Cubans more then anything else, but without age I am not a fan of many so it makes sense to have both to me. The curivari 4000 is a great example of an NC smoke that can go head to head with ISOM. Unfortunately, you have to pay to get a comparable experience in most cases in the NC/DC world for that profile.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    Ah Dustin...you are in big trouble. Once you are hooked with aged Cuban then you are dead. I understand it because aged Cubans are gem.
    catfishbluezz:
    Well, the biggest difference I notice is the finish and strength of the tobacco. The finish is smooth and light on the palette and does not leave much lingering nastiness that most cigars do. They also tend to knock me out a bit more. There are alot of NC/DC cigars that are similiar too, but different in their own right. I really think DPG comes close at times with many of his cigars once the pepper subsides. Avo is another great example too. Funny thing is, when I want full power, I want diesel and really enjoy them lol.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah it's not like they are trying to replicate real ones. Their just rolled up turds with a counterfeit band on them.
  • NectarCigarNectarCigar Posts: 171
    I've smoked questionables that I was gifted and enjoyed some of them. Only one way to find out if its any good...light it up! ;)
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NectarCigar:
    I've smoked questionables that I was gifted and enjoyed some of them. Only one way to find out if its any good...light it up! ;)
    Good point!