Home Non Cigar Related

Obamacare Summed Up in One Sentence

beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
"We’re going to be gifted with a healthcare plan we are forced to purchase, and fined if we don’t, which puportedly covers at least 10 million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn’t understand it, passed by a congress that didn’t read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a president who smokes, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn’t pay his taxes, for which we will be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted social security and medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese and financed by a country that’s broke.

So, what the blank could possibly go wrong?"

Dr. Barbara Bellar – Candidate For Illinois State Senate

Comments

• mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Wow! Sounds about right to me!
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Totally stealing this.... Awesome!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    That's not 1 sentence. Poor grammar if you ask me. Nothing funnier than hearing a GOPer blast the ACA. I love the "didn't read it" line. That whole debate went on for months and the plan had many revisions. Maybe she should mention the medicare part D program the GOP pushed through around 2am in the morning after they "adjourned" and most if not all the dems left. Oh and they didn't pay for it. That's something she should say, but that's her party so I doubt she will. I'm surprised she didn't mention death panels, even romney did in the debate. Oh, and the mandate was a GOP idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even good grammar won't pay for this. We just flat don't have the money.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    webmost:
    Yes we do, but money (and profit) are more valuable than life in the US these days, and the weak deserve to be crushed by the strong in the US these days. The Greatest Generation would never have thought in terms like "we can't do this, or we can't do that". They said yes we can, and yes we will, and by God, they did. They went through the Great Depression, and WWII, and they raised the taxes to pay for the war (just as we always have, until GW) and the Marshall Plan, and Social Security, and they supported Unions in the workplace, and a minimum wage for working men, and tax deductions for the middle class, and they built roads all over this great good country. Today, all I hear from the right is what we can't do, and why we can't do this and why we musn't do that, and we can't afford to support all those seniors in nursing homes (Medicaid), and all these old people are just going to the doctor too much, and it costs too much money, and the govermint is takin away all my liberty! Crap. It makes me sick to my stomach.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I thought I heard patriotic music in the background. What a speech!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Maybe our friend from Kentucky will loan us the next 1.2 trillion dollars for the next year to keep paying for it?

Sign me one of the 53%
    Even fine speeches won't pay for this. We just flat don't have the money Where did it go? Well, it went to all the high sounding stuff you just ranted about. And now it's gone.

One thing science teaches us: You cannot bu11shit the numbers.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    JDH:
    webmost:
    Yes we do, but money (and profit) are more valuable than life in the US these days, and the weak deserve to be crushed by the strong in the US these days. The Greatest Generation would never have thought in terms like "we can't do this, or we can't do that". They said yes we can, and yes we will, and by God, they did. They went through the Great Depression, and WWII, and they raised the taxes to pay for the war (just as we always have, until GW) and the Marshall Plan, and Social Security, and they supported Unions in the workplace, and a minimum wage for working men, and tax deductions for the middle class, and they built roads all over this great good country. Today, all I hear from the right is what we can't do, and why we can't do this and why we musn't do that, and we can't afford to support all those seniors in nursing homes (Medicaid), and all these old people are just going to the doctor too much, and it costs too much money, and the govermint is takin away all my liberty! Crap. It makes me sick to my stomach.
    Ponzi schemes always work........ for a while
    webmost:
    So we have the money for tax cuts, for 2 trillion more to defense (contractors), and wars but not enough to get our healthcare in check? I mean this was a modest cost, It would have been better if medicare was expanded to all and got rid of the majority of people having to deal exclusively with for profit insurance companies. There needs to be priorities and defense needs a cut, we have a huge budget for it, tax cuts need to be taken out, raise the rates back to what it was under carter or even Regan before he cut them. Then we need to fix our country. Some estimated 2-3 trillion to get it up to a B grade. I mean soon we are going to be so far behind other countries as far as infrastructure it won't be funny. And military, yeah that will go last, just like all empires.
    I find it interesting and amusing the ranting of the far left here, I thought the left was actually running the government the last 4 years? I can hardly wait for the vitriol that will occurr when the right takes back over next year. Politics would be genuinely funny if it did not have such deep reaching effects on our prosperity and liberty.
    fla-gypsy:
    I find it interesting and amusing the ranting of the far left here, I thought the left was actually running the government the last 4 years? I can hardly wait for the vitriol that will occurr when the right takes back over next year. Politics would be genuinely funny if it did not have such deep reaching effects on our prosperity and liberty.
    I doubt it. Obama really needs to win 2 swing states and a lot of polls shows dems taking senate seats back. The house, that could be close. ...and the left? obama is center and congress is far right right now. the senate has been blocked from the GOP from the get go since there were democrats voting against dems and an independent who did as well. So for that talking point about the left running the govt, it just isn't true.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    phobicsquirrel:
    fla-gypsy:
    I doubt it. Obama really needs to win 2 swing states and a lot of polls shows dems taking senate seats back. The house, that could be close. ...and the left? obama is center and congress is far right right now. the senate has been blocked from the GOP from the get go since there were democrats voting against dems and an independent who did as well. So for that talking point about the left running the govt, it just isn't true.
    You're dreaming squirrel. Denial might be a better term. If it doesn't get stolen, Romney will walk away with the election. And, might just get his own Senate. Now, that would be your nightmare.
    beatnic:
    phobicsquirrel:
    fla-gypsy:
    You're dreaming squirrel. Denial might be a better term. If it doesn't get stolen, Romney will walk away with the election. And, might just get his own Senate. Now, that would be your nightmare.
    dude, romney isn't going to win, look at the electoral map. Obama needs basically ohio or another swing state. And it's done. Of course that can change but I doubt it.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fla-gypsy:
    Maybe our friend from Kentucky will loan us the next 1.2 trillion dollars for the next year to keep paying for it?

Sign me one of the 53%
    I doubt JDH could do it, however, Goldman - Sachs could, don't they have about six times that amount in cash assets, now that the American middle class tax payer bailed them out?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    fla-gypsy:
    I think they were too busy trying to save us from the mess that at least sixteen of the previous twenty years created, you know, destroying the world economy and such.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Amos Umwhat:
    fla-gypsy:
    I think they were too busy trying to save us from the mess that at least sixteen of the previous twenty years created, you know, destroying the world economy and such.

Thanks for confirming my view of the current situation.
    fla-gypsy:
    Amos Umwhat:
    fla-gypsy:

Thanks for confirming my view of the current situation.
    No problem
    I think my favorite quote from this whole election cycle was from Rick Santorum "...face it, the smart people will never be with us."

phobicsquirrel:
    webmost:
    So we have the money for tax cuts, for 2 trillion more to defense (contractors), and wars but not enough to get our healthcare in check?
    You think you can scrape it up by squeezing the military industrial complex? Go ahead. Do that FIRST. Then talk. Go on. Do it. Glad to see it done. I'm waiting. Maybe it would help is we gave the cat a nobel peace prize. Still waitin. While we wait, they'll tune us up for war with Iran.

Nope. Even changing the subject won't pay for this. We just flat don't have the money. And no prospect of getting it, either.

webmost:
    phobicsquirrel:
    webmost:
    So we have the money for tax cuts, for 2 trillion more to defense (contractors), and wars but not enough to get our healthcare in check?
    You think you can scrape it up by squeezing the military industrial complex? Go ahead. Do that FIRST. Then talk. Go on. Do it. Glad to see it done. I'm waiting. Maybe it would help is we gave the cat a nobel peace prize. Still waitin. While we wait, they'll tune us up for war with Iran.

Nope. Even changing the subject won't pay for this. We just flat don't have the money. And no prospect of getting it, either.

I think you're both making good points, and illustrating exactly what it is that really counts in politics today. The money is there, since we bailed out Wall St., but it's not ours anymore! It belongs to a few select individuals who used their power to secure more money to secure more power ad infinitum, bankrupted the system, convinced us not to change our ways, and kept the money and the cycle going.

Worst of all, we keep buying their baloney, dividing ourselves against ourselves, chasing our tails, falling for petty hate-games, and never holding a certain class of individual responsible for anything. Give us some poor welfare mom we can throw in jail for stealing food stamps, we're all over that. Holding accountable the people behind the de-regulations that allowed the Banksters to scam the public, well, not so much.

• VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Pheebs is right on target. Anyone want a little friend cigar bet on who wins the election?
    webmost:
    phobicsquirrel:
    webmost:

Not sure if you were in the service... but let's say this. Why is the DOD so sacrosanct? I mean things for our people are on the table, hell screw 'em but hell no, don't touch defense spending! WTF! We had the best military under clinton and still paid more than most of the major countries combined on our DOD. Then bush came along and increased that by some 3 times or so (could be a bit less but it was inflated). What did that get us? Why did it increase? Well I can tell you it wasn't the pay for the soldiers. It wasn't for everyday equipment. It wasn't for better living quarters. I mean soldiers didn't even have proper body armor. Hell we had humvee's falling apart along with a shitload of tanks just sitting in base camps waiting to be repaired. NO the money went to homeland (new agency) "PRIVATE" military contracts (get paid up to 3x our own soldiers, are not under ucmj or under treaties but operate in our NAME), ton's of bases, and a huge embassy bigger than the Vatican in IRAQ! And now your buddy Romney want's to add another 2 tril to the budget! For what, and that is more important that things here at home. Open a history book and learn about ROME. That is almost a mirror of what we are becoming. They crumbled from within but they had a great empire. Hell the **** regime was the same thing, they let their country fall apart but had a hell of a empire. Same with Russia under the Soviets. WE do not need to spent the amount of money we do on our defense. Hell get rid of paying private contractors in place of our troops and there's a huge cut. Why not pay our soldiers more? Or why not make care easier for them when they get back? The GOP tried cutting funding to the VA and other job bills for returning Vets.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Damn right squirrel. Dont eveb get me started on military and its spending. No bigger group exploited that soldiers for the gain of a few "masters of war". Also none that wants more.....Im not even gonna start.
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    If you want to consider a truly unsustainable expense, it is endless war. Honestly consider how long we have been engaged in military conflict since December 7, 1941, and ask yourself what are the reasons for those conflicts. since Dec. 7, 1941. When was the US attacked or threatened? Not by Korea. The Cuban missle crisis was a threat, but thank God, it did not result in WWIII. Not by Vietnam. Not by Chilie, where Allende was overthrown and replaced by Pinochet. Not in Beiruit, where we walked away from 250 dead Marines blown up by a suicide bomber at the Beiruit airport. Some will argue that we had to "protect" the Panama canal from Noriega, but we had a signed treaty with Panama that returned the canal to them, and others view our action there as just one more example of the US breaking a treaty with brown skinned peoples because we had the muscle to do it. Were we justified with our actions in Salvador and Nicaragua in the 80's? I have never been convinved that we were. Not in Grenada or Bosnia or Somalia. Not by Iraq.

Al Queida is the only real military threat the US has faced since Dec. 7, 1941. Endless war is not sustainable, and I believe it is bankrupting the country.

You cannot convince me that there isn't huge waste in the US military, especially the corporate military "contractors" who have replaced so many traditional military duties, and at three or four times the expense, but it's good for business, at taxpayer expense.