Home Non Cigar Related

Deer Season

marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
Is the the one thing I hate about being where I am, I miss the entire season for the most part. My dad just got his first deer last weekend, a nice sized doe.

Where do you guys hunt, preferred method (bow, rifle, etc) and most importantly, where is the pictures of your prized game?

Here is my dads first ever:

Comments

• ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Congrats to your Dad, bro! I usually sit on my parents back deck with a cup of coffee and my Mosin Nagant 91-30, then wait for one to walk by. Hopefully I can put some meat in the freezer this year with a sprinkling of deer jerky to tide me over at work.
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    Thats one way to do it, lol. Good luck brother.
  • WhoDeyGalWhoDeyGal Posts: 727 ✭✭
    I do not approve of this message! Shame on your dad! ;)
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    I don't get out hunting as much as I used to, but I loved turkey season with a muzzle loader. My dad is planning to do crossbow deer this year for the first time.
    Hey, atleast he did it sportingly. Bet your glad we share the same mom and not dads huh?
    marineatbn03:
    Hey, atleast he did it sportingly. Bet your glad we share the same mom and not dads huh?
    Yes, not cool. Does he eat it?
    WhoDeyGal:
    marineatbn03:
    He donated it to a family down the road who has a ton of kids and no money. So they have meat to eat.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    marineatbn03:
    WhoDeyGal:
    marineatbn03:
    He donated it to a family down the road who has a ton of kids and no money. So they have meat to eat.
    Good lookin' doe & awesome gesture by your dad.

I never could wrap my head around - hunting for "sport" and not eating the meat....especially when there are less-fortunate people around us who could greatly use the meat.
    So good on your dad for donating the meat so it's not wasted - tell him thanks for making the world a little bit better.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Hunting for me has always been more of a meditation technique than a way to provide for my family.
    That being said, I have taken my share of good bucks as well as does.
    When I get the chance I will take some photos of my antler pile and post them.
    Congratulations to all who brave the elements in the pursuit of game be it for food or sport as long as the meat is not to be wasted.
    Thats how I feel. If it is killed it should be used for its meat, one way or another. It ticks me off to come across a deer that has been taken for a trophy and the body left to rot. Donate it if you don't want the meat, many will gladly take it.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    RBeckom:
    Hunting for me has always been more of a meditation technique than a way to provide for my family.
    That being said, I have taken my share of good bucks as well as does.
    When I get the chance I will take some photos of my antler pile and post them.
    Congratulations to all who brave the elements in the pursuit of game be it for food or sport as long as the meat is not to be wasted.
    I agree totally. I am building a house right now and all my hunting gear is in storage until we move in. But I am already missing going out and just seeing nature. I too will give meat away to those that want/need it. I think I have a pic of my first buck on another thread. I'll have to look.
    Couldn't agree more. If you kill it use the meat. I think that's why I'm not a fan of hunting bc so many do it just for the kill and not the feed. Glad your daddy- o donated it. That was stand up of him.
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    WhoDeyGal:
    Couldn't agree more. If you kill it use the meat. I think that's why I'm not a fan of hunting bc so many do it just for the kill and not the feed. Glad your daddy- o donated it. That was stand up of him.
    I'm surprised to hear that. From personal experience, I would think those that "trophy hunt" are a very small minority. We might brag about our big buck/gobbler, but we eat most all of it too. It saddens me that this is not what you experience in your area.
    jthanatos:
    WhoDeyGal:
    I'm surprised to hear that. From personal experience, I would think those that "trophy hunt" are a very small minority. We might brag about our big buck/gobbler, but we eat most all of it too. It saddens me that this is not what you experience in your area.
    Maybe it's just the few hunters I've encountered. I don't know many, so I could be off base with this.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I think I'll take up hunting. They have a herd of Black Angus down the road. Now, that's good eating. LOL
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    I rifle hunt, not good enough at that yet to take up the bow. I also do some upland bird hunting. We eat our deer or give it away. I've know a lot of hunters and never met one that didn't take the meat.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    I think I'll take up hunting. They have a herd of Black Angus down the road. Now, that's good eating. LOL

I think they call those "slow elk" in Oklahoma. At least they did when I was working there.

• ctschirgictschirgi Posts: 63 ✭✭
    On my way home from hunting Caribou on Adak Island, Alaska. I don't have any pictures because yesterday I was by myself when I shot my Caribou and was more worried about boning out the meat so that I could pack it out before dark and/or my hands quit working due to the cold. Fortunately the folks I was hunting with got the Argos within a mile of the kill site and helped me pack out the meat. We ground the last of the hamburger at 5:30 this morning. I use a .308 to hunt medium sized big game. I agree that trophy hunting is wrong. I also don't agree with crapy hunters that take 500 yard plus shots and lob lead down range hoping to hit something. Use skill to come within a reasonable distance and take pride in the single shot kill.
    ctschirgi:
    On my way home from hunting Caribou on Adak Island, Alaska. I don't have any pictures because yesterday I was by myself when I shot my Caribou and was more worried about boning out the meat so that I could pack it out before dark and/or my hands quit working due to the cold. Fortunately the folks I was hunting with got the Argos within a mile of the kill site and helped me pack out the meat. We ground the last of the hamburger at 5:30 this morning. I use a .308 to hunt medium sized big game. I agree that trophy hunting is wrong. I also don't agree with crapy hunters that take 500 yard plus shots and lob lead down range hoping to hit something. Use skill to come within a reasonable distance and take pride in the single shot kill.
    This is why I enjoy bow hunting. You have to be within 25-50 yards, and more times than not you have to excersize some tracking skills. How is Caribou by the way?
  • ctschirgictschirgi Posts: 63 ✭✭
    Caribou is excellent lots of grass and moss on Adak so it isn't that far from lean beef. Bow hunting does require a lot more patience and skill than rifle. I was turned off to big game hunting as a young kid after the lighting quick reflexes of a pronghorn antelope allowed it to jump just enough to turn a good shot into a gut shot. Chasing the wonded animal across the Red Desert wasn't the best experience. Of course the same thing will happen with a poor rifle shot. The best bet is to be a disclipined hunter regardless of your tool of the trade.
    I agree, I won't take a shot unless I know it is going to be well placed. I would rather not wound an animal just for it to wonder off somewhere to die. Likewise, if a wounded animal came by me, I would rather shoot it and put it out of its misery than to let it suffer from someone elses poor marksmanship.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    marineatbn03:
    I agree, I won't take a shot unless I know it is going to be well placed. I would rather not wound an animal just for it to wonder off somewhere to die. Likewise, if a wounded animal came by me, I would rather shoot it and put it out of its misery than to let it suffer from someone elses poor marksmanship.
    Well said.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    For me Hunting has always been getting back to our roots, honing survival skills, as well as sharing great times with great friends. We'd have a nice hunting camp set up, one of those portable carport's that one could buy at Costco. We'd seal the front with tarps, even laid out ground covering in some places, set up tables, chairs, cots, Kept warm with kerosene heaters. Outside we'd have the firepit, more chairs, even a sheltered outhouse (before we started bringing RV's). We hunted White-tail and Mule deer. Every time I went out I have harvested a deer, I am a small arms marksman with both rifle and handgun and have been fortunate enough to keep it to One shot One kill!! Even on my first Deer kill (excitement can get the better of us) I used a Remington 700 30-6 with a Leupold scope.
    We'd gut at the kill site, (leave for the Birds and Coyotes) then bring the animal to camp with a 4 wheeler to hang, skin and cover. Few times we'd have to carry deer for a good way before we had vehicle access.
    We'd always share meat with guys in our group if they didnt bag their deer for the season. A buddy deboned and processed his own, I'd take mine to a butcher and have a good portion turned into jerky, peperoni sticks, german or polish sausage, and keep the prime steaks for grillin.. Not into the deer roasts as some others are. I'd even make my own jerky with some of the cuts. Deer flavor isnt my fav, I prefer Elk, or Moose. Havent ever bagged one of those. I havent been Deer hunting in a few years, too much meat for me, and its not that cheap to have it processed by a good butcher. I still get meat/treats from friends. I miss the comradery more than the meat. There is Black-tail deer where I currently live. Last night I talked to a couple hunters I know, as deer hunting season has just opened this morning for modern firearm. Be safe Be smart and Have fun!
  • My middle son got his first deer a couple of weeks ago. Greatest hunting moment of my life and he was so proud (so was I)! image
    bigjohn125:
    My middle son got his first deer a couple of weeks ago. Greatest hunting moment of my life and he was so proud (so was I)! image

This my friends is what hunting should be about.
    Passing on our knowledge to the next generation.
    Congratulations to your son and you as well my good man!
    My son, Derek with my granddaughter, Malissa.
    I taught Derek to hunt from the time he was knee high to a grasshopper, now he passes the tradition onward and down.

That is awesome. And passing the knowledge down is a great way to bond an ensure that safety and preservation is done the right way.
    marineatbn03:
    That is awesome. And passing the knowledge down is a great way to bond an ensure that safety and preservation is done the right way.

Amen.
    Dad got another deer yesterday, two actually. One was a buck with a pretty unique rack, they went almost straight up, and a doe in the afternoon. Makes me really want to be in the woods versus the trash infested sewer smells of this country I am in.
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    I love seeing the kids get their first deer. But I dont understand why people think it is so hard..... I just open my front door.