Home Non Cigar Related

Book Help

RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
I have a week long Sergeant of the Guard duty coming up, so I need to stock up on a good book or ten. I really enjoy two types of books, Hardcore Gangsta Fantasy and Post-Apocalyptic...stuff. Some examples of fantasy books I've liked are The Legend of Drizzt series, Dragonlance series, Avatar Trilogy and The Dark Tower series. For Apocalyptic books, I've enjoyed The Stand, On The Beach, Swan Song and Alas Babylon. Anyone got any reccomendations?

Comments

• jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Fantasy:

Night Angel Trilogy - Brent Weeks
    Game of Thrones - George RR Martin
    Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    jthanatos:
    Fantasy:

I will check in on the Night Angel trilogy. I've read the first two Wheel of Time books a few years ago in Iraq and loved them. I've heard the series really starts to go down hill towards the end...what do you think?
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    jthanatos:
    Fantasy:

I will check in on the Night Angel trilogy. I've read the first two Wheel of Time books a few years ago in Iraq and loved them. I've heard the series really starts to go down hill towards the end...what do you think?
    Eh, some people feel that way because the main cast splits up so much. Since the book jumps between points of view, you might not see your favorite characters for much of the book. I have only read through book 11, so I can't say beyond that, but it stayed pretty solid throughout. The main complaint I had for the series was the loads and loads of characters that you need to remember. A minor character might not be mentioned for two books, and then play a major role with you expected to remember everything he did before without any exposition. Only book series outside of Dune I have ever felt the need to keep notes so I didn't forget characters and plots between books.
  • prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    You can read?
    pross:
    You can read?
    Ok, ok...my 4 year old reads them to me. Happy? When I'm not busy fluffing, that is.
  • prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    Sorry- was that out loud?
    pross:
    Sorry- was that out loud?
    I hope you get audited.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check out Piers Anthony's Xanth novels or Apprentice Adept series.
    Or Terry Brooks Magic Kingdom for Sale series.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Have you read The Road by Cormac McCarthy yet? His writing style is unique, but The Road is a good post-apocolyptic tale.
    Heavy:
    Have you read The Road by Cormac McCarthy yet? His writing style is unique, but The Road is a good post-apocolyptic tale.
    I only saw part of the movie, I may check it out.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Have you ever read any of his stuff? I've read a few and thought they were all great, but the guy does not believe in puncuation other than the occasional period! So he can be a little difficult to read. Worked well with the pace/mood of The Road though I thought.
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Check out David Moody. He's got some interresting books if you like post apocalipse meets Zombie stuff.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Read??? Books??? What are these? Can we smoke them?
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR