Home General Discussion

guess I need a house

My apartment complex is going smoke free inside and anywhere on the property, this should be a great feat to undertake since many people smoke cigs here. This won't be a problem for them since it takes all of 5 min (not likely to get caught) for them to finish but for us cigar smokers, enjoying a nice stick takes quite a while. I guess I am going to have to smoke in my car now (maybe close to my place so I can still use my wifi lol), since there are no B&M close to me. Thank God I am out of here after the summer, this is a huge bummer :(. I guess I will have to live vicariously through you guys for a bit!

Comments

• ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    sounds like you have 6 hard months ahead of you. Time to finda cigar smoking friend near you. one with a house. (and wifi)
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    You make damn sure to let me know the second you get that house Phil... Well, a few days before to be exact. That blows man...
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    I've seen pics of your balcony in your 'what are you smoking tonight' postings. Why don't you store a sheet of plywood on the balcony that's tall enough to sit behind? You could just put it against the railings when you're sitting there and move it away when you're done.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gotta ask. Do you have a lease? If so, is there anything in the lease about smoking?

How do these places get away with things like that?
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    0patience:
    I gotta ask. Do you have a lease? If so, is there anything in the lease about smoking?

How do these places get away with things like that?
    gotta be a housing association type clause regarding the governing body. I had a condo, it was a pain in the ass dealing with them. I would look at the lease as well, I cannot imagine everyone's lease ran out at once, but either way it blows.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear this!!! These aholes have really been **** us cigar smokers!!!! My is saying you can't light up in public...wtf!! If things keep going this way we will all be neighbors soon. We will be a few states of nothing but smokers lol
    Money can't buy taste
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's popular to be PC, too bad... I've been waiting for our condo community weasels to say something. I'm glad we are moving to the sticks with nobody near by. Our rights are being squashed, not cool. Best of luck, I hope you get to move soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Setup a chair on the public sidewalk just outside the driveway. That blows dude.
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    sucks dude. want me to send you one of those electronic cigarettes?
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That really sucks.you should get a tenants meeting together. Try and fight it.
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Jthanatos' guide to dealing with anti-smoking PC d-bags in five easy steps.

1. Declare that you are a Real American.

2. Point meaningfully at those trying to take away your rights.

3. Indicate that you are not pleased with their conduct. Express this displeasure.

4.Wrap up your points with a strong conclusion.

5. Declare Hulkamania, run wild.

But seriously, that sucks dude. Hope things work out. If you ever need a spot to smoke, my lawn is always open.
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    first and most importantly, take roids!
  • bigfnstevebigfnsteve Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭
    jthanatos:
    Jthanatos' guide to dealing with anti-smoking PC d-bags in five easy steps.

1. Declare that you are a Real American.

2. Point meaningfully at those trying to take away your rights.

3. Indicate that you are not pleased with their conduct. Express this displeasure.

4.Wrap up your points with a strong conclusion.

5. Declare Hulkamania, run wild.

But seriously, that sucks dude. Hope things work out. If you ever need a spot to smoke, my lawn is always open.
    Flippen epic
  • chemforeverchemforever Posts: 1,200
    So this is what was posted at the main doorway. image this will be my third year here and this is the first time any sign has been displayed, but with renewal of lease my guess is some smoking clause was added this year. The verbiage makes it seem like they will have to catch you in the act so I will have to think how to act and maybe find the updated lease agreement online to see the extent of the fine. In any case another reason to rent a home. With the sometimes horrid smell of others cooking and vacuuming above me at all hours of the night, people smoking outside would be the least of my worries even if I didn't smoke. Just had to share my frustration.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    That doesn't even reference who created it. Anyone could have made that sign.
  • DCarp2005DCarp2005 Posts: 140
    james40:
    That doesn't even reference who created it. Anyone could have made that sign.
    Agreed, I would definitely look over your rental agreement and if there is a smoking clause on the newest lease then it doesn't fair well for a BOTL, and i hope you can find another place to light up. If there isn't a clause "rules subject to change without notice" and no where onthe sign does it say that management (who i assume posted the sign, but is not clearly marked), then they are in violation of the lease which means you could possibly start looking for another place now and move out before the lease is up.

P.S. I have a suspicion that this might have to do with liability and insurance (fire risk).

Best of luck man
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    If it were me, I'd help those signs disappear every time they'd get posted. Just grab 'em on the way past. If/When they'd catch you smoking, play dumb and say you have no idea the building was smoke free now.

Or get a note from your doctor that you have to smoke...for medicinal purposes.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    ddubridge:
    sounds like you have 6 hard months ahead of you. Time to finda cigar smoking friend near you. one with a house. (and wifi)
    +1, So sorry to hear this bro, hope you can find some resolution.
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    chemforever:
    So this is what was posted at the main doorway. image this will be my third year here and this is the first time any sign has been displayed, but with renewal of lease my guess is some smoking clause was added this year. The verbiage makes it seem like they will have to catch you in the act so I will have to think how to act and maybe find the updated lease agreement online to see the extent of the fine. In any case another reason to rent a home. With the sometimes horrid smell of others cooking and vacuuming above me at all hours of the night, people smoking outside would be the least of my worries even if I didn't smoke. Just had to share my frustration.
    good luck on trying to collect that fine. no legal right for this one.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    chemforever:
    My apartment complex is going smoke free inside and anywhere on the property, this should be a great feat to undertake since many people smoke cigs here. This won't be a problem for them since it takes all of 5 min (not likely to get caught) for them to finish but for us cigar smokers, enjoying a nice stick takes quite a while. I guess I am going to have to smoke in my car now (maybe close to my place so I can still use my wifi lol), since there are no B&M close to me. Thank God I am out of here after the summer, this is a huge bummer :(. I guess I will have to live vicariously through you guys for a bit!
    Brothers -- This worthy BOTL needs a man cave away from home where he can smoke for the next six months. Anyone here live in Iowa who can help a brother out?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    chemforever:
    That sucks bro.

I'm no expert....but unless your original lease specifically bans smoking, or you've signed an addendum agreeing to this change - I don't see how they could enforce it/penalize you.
    Now if you renew your lease or sign a new lease with a no-smoking clause then you'd have to follow it.
    But it would make sense to me that if your landlord is going to change "rules"/"terms of your lease" and you didn't sign/agree to it --- then I'd think you'd be able to break the lease early and move.

Like I said, I'm no expert but it doesn't seem right that a landlord could change the terms "mid-lease." You might want to do some internet research and see if you can move early....

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

jgibv:
    chemforever:
    That sucks bro.

I'm no expert....but unless your original lease specifically bans smoking, or you've signed an addendum agreeing to this change - I don't see how they could enforce it/penalize you.
    Now if you renew your lease or sign a new lease with a no-smoking clause then you'd have to follow it.
    But it would make sense to me that if your landlord is going to change "rules"/"terms of your lease" and you didn't sign/agree to it --- then I'd think you'd be able to break the lease early and move.

Like I said, I'm no expert but it doesn't seem right that a landlord could change the terms "mid-lease." You might want to do some internet research and see if you can move early....
    can't. give the finger till your lease is up. your not leaving mid lease next summer are you???
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Phil, I am saddened to hear this,, I'd like to extend my hand and offer to watch your sticks during this trying and difficult time. I wouldnt do this for just anyone and I want you to know Im there for ya,,;o)
  • chemforeverchemforever Posts: 1,200
    ddubridge:
    jgibv:
    chemforever:
    That sucks bro.

can't. give the finger till your lease is up. your not leaving mid lease next summer are you???
    well lease runs out end of July but I will be moving at the end of June. I am hoping the sign is just up to appease some complainer and to show their 'effort' to enforce some bogus policy. I highly doubt they are going to send someone out after business hours to enforce this since they will barley come out for a plumbing emergency during this time. I realize I share general deck area with others above me and would move if asked politely and I think that would be a better policy. For such a short time and the hassle of moving, for me, it not worth fighting. I will do some research and hopefully find a loophole, even if I am smoking on the sidewalk :).
    chemforever:
    ddubridge:
    jgibv:
    chemforever:
    That sucks bro.

well lease runs out end of July but I will be moving at the end of June. I am hoping the sign is just up to appease some complainer and to show their 'effort' to enforce some bogus policy. I highly doubt they are going to send someone out after business hours to enforce this since they will barley come out for a plumbing emergency during this time. I realize I share general deck area with others above me and would move if asked politely and I think that would be a better policy. For such a short time and the hassle of moving, for me, it not worth fighting. I will do some research and hopefully find a loophole, even if I am smoking on the sidewalk :).
    Well good luck what ever the outcome. Also, forgot to mention this LINK is a great place to find a B&m near you. there might be one you didnt know of yet.