Home General Discussion

Newb help

Hello everyone. I know there are probably hundreds of fourms with the search for advice for newbs, but im looking to find some help.  I have been looking through forums for a while and now for some reason clicked on this one and decided to join! But I just purchased a humidor from Thompson Cigar along with some cigars and need help. Should have done this first.

What I bought to start was this combination , a solidly constructed cedar-lined divided cherry humidor whose quadrant hinges, humidification system and hygrometer make it a veritable vault to protect your puros. With these cigars 5 SOCORRO ASSORTED NATURAL; 5 CORDOVA ROBUSTO CONNECTICUT; 5 THOMPSON COROJO CUBANO TORPEDO COROJO; 5 DON LUGO ASSORTED NATURAL; 5 PHOENIX LONSDALE NATURAL.

I then went off and also bought some more cigars that may be different cuz they were cheap and I want to find a decent smoke that I can enjoy at home and on the golf course. I then bought a combination of Cohiba Lonsdale, CAO Criollo Pato, Gurkha Legend Presidente, La Gloria Cubana Wavell, Cameroon by Rocky Patel Robusto, Rocky Patel Sungrown Toro, and CAO Gold Maduro Robusto.

Maybe I got ahead of myself but I have always enjoyed smoking cigars and im really looking to get started. I was wondering if these are a good option for a newb or if I just threw away my money? I dont know anything about this Humidor nor the smokes for that matter. Hope I didnt create a problem for myself down the road. If anyone has any info on this stuff or what else I should do to enjoy my newly found hobby. Thank you for the ability to post and your thoughts!

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I don't know about the cigars you got with the humidor, but the others you mentioned are pretty solid smokes. I think you did ok with that selection. If this is your first humidor, you should take a look at the Cigar 101 forum on here and read through some threads on getting it all set up and holding humidity to keep those cigars in good shape. Welcome to the forums, you've found a good place to get you going.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    welcome aboard whitey ...I'm with Joe on the cigars you got with the humi, have not heard of some of those, but the second group you should enjoy quite a bit. How large a humidor did you get ...
  • AQUADGIO1200AQUADGIO1200 Posts: 406
    Welcome to the forum....i also started out with a similar humi/combo from Thompson's (150ct-w/100 house blend smokes) The humi was awsome...but the smokes were not the greatest...but i expected that. I would suggest starting out buying sampler packs to get an idea of what your likes are. A great mild cigar is Vegas 5 Gold (great smoke), Oliva Sol Cubano (cheap-good smoke)...after you build your palate...try the medium to full bodies smokes. Enjoy your new humi and smokes!
  • Im not quite sure the size of the humi...I guess I was being a cheap-O being new to all this I didnt even pay attention. But Im glad to hear that the other smokes I invested in sound like a good smooth beginner smoke! I will work on acquiring the taste for bolder flavor!!!! Need to break myself in first! But thanks everyone for your help so far and I look forward to writing with you guys  and learing the world of cigars...

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    whitey4314:

Im not quite sure the size of the humi...I guess I was being a cheap-O being new to all this I didnt even pay attention. But Im glad to hear that the other smokes I invested in sound like a good smooth beginner smoke! I will work on acquiring the taste for bolder flavor!!!! Need to break myself in first! But thanks everyone for your help so far and I look forward to writing with you guys  and learing the world of cigars...

Welcome aboard whitey. As the other guys here stated make sure you check out cigar 101. You will need to season that Humidor or ALL of your sticks will be ruined. I might also suggest the Sol Cubano Series B. They are cheap and a real nice mild to medium bodied cigar with a lot of flavor.
  • jeff_connorsjeff_connors Posts: 483
    laker1963:
    whitey4314:

Im not quite sure the size of the humi...I guess I was being a cheap-O being new to all this I didnt even pay attention. But Im glad to hear that the other smokes I invested in sound like a good smooth beginner smoke! I will work on acquiring the taste for bolder flavor!!!! Need to break myself in first! But thanks everyone for your help so far and I look forward to writing with you guys  and learing the world of cigars...

Welcome aboard whitey. As the other guys here stated make sure you check out cigar 101. You will need to season that Humidor or ALL of your sticks will be ruined. I might also suggest the Sol Cubano Series B. They are cheap and a real nice mild to medium bodied cigar with a lot of flavor.
    get a bigger humidor, its a slippery slope!!!!!,
  • smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    Hey welcome to the ccom forums!!! My best piece of advice would be dont shop from thompson!!!
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    smbrink:
    Hey welcome to the ccom forums!!! My best piece of advice would be dont shop from thompson!!!
    Took the words right out of my mouth Brink, stay away from Thompson...save your money and buy from Ccom. As you read through posts here on the forums, you will find that T has no fans here...unless you like dry, cracked cigars.

"Long ashes my friends."

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Im not sure about that humidor at all. never seen it. if it has the little metal T******* logo on it you may be able to pry it off and repair the hole thats left by it with some wood finish markers. ive had good luck with those on my wood furniture. ...as long as it holds RH itll be ok.

I have smoked two T******* house blends.
    im not sure if you have ever had an infused cigar, but i find that all infused cigars have a very similar taste beyond the flavor they are being infused with. ...almost like the process of infusion has a taste of its own. All T******* sticks seem to have that flavor. so are they infusing it with "maduro" flavor? or "tobacco" flavor.
    If so, how bad do those leaves have to be to have to be flavored like what they are?

iduno... my opinion is smoke what you like. dont expect the cigar to be good because it is hand made.

unfortunately, you have alreday made a purchase from T*******. if it has not arrived, dont expect it to be what you ordered. they have a way of not telling you stock is running out. then there is some fine print somewhere that states they will replace it with something "similar"
    ...and you are now stuck dealing with those guys forever.

I have just heard nothing but bad things about em.
  • Well thanks everyone for your help, but it doesnt seem like there is much you can help me with, with this T******* problem. I guess I can only pray to god that it comes and I have a somewhat moist cigar to enjoy. I guess I will listen to everyone and thank again for your advice, I will always be up for advice and I look forward to as much as I can get. See you all on the forums.  Is there a T******* sucks forum??? I may be creating one if this order stinks!!!! well thanks again all!
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    Welcome whitey!! The only good thompson I ever had was blonde w/ olive skin...