Home General Discussion

Davidoff Group buys Cusano Cigars

Comments

• gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Wow I did not realize they (Cusano) was that small , 36 employees. I do enjoy their cigars , especially the Cusano Hermanos Vintage and the Cusano 18 Dbl Maduro . Hope they are able to keep their blends together, I'm sure they probably will . What do you guys think this means as far as pricing ...goes up , stays the same ( I'm sure going down is not a option after a aqusition ) ...
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I don't know what to say really except it looks like Davidoff is trying to buy everything it can get its hands on. Camacho, now Cusano. I don't know, they seem to be leaving the same people in place in those companies so from our perspective not too much will change I guess.
    madurofan:
    I don't know what to say really except it looks like Davidoff is trying to buy everything it can get its hands on. Camacho, now Cusano. I don't know, they seem to be leaving the same people in place in those companies so from our perspective not too much will change I guess.

I think you are absolutely correct sir !!!
    gmill880:
    madurofan:

I hope I'm correct, I've become a fairly big fan of Cusano.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    Hope they are able to keep their blends together, I'm sure they probably will . What do you guys think this means as far as pricing ...goes up , stays the same ( I'm sure going down is not a option after a aqusition ) ...
    when they bought camacho nothing changed. the profit just stopped at davidoff instead.

the price was the same as well. and if you look at it its a good business plan. you have the most expensive cigars on the market (Davidoff, Zino, AVO) the most consistent sellers (camacho) and now the lower mid range or what are often called the "daily" smokes in Cusano. they have all bases covered.
    madurofan:
    I don't know what to say really except it looks like Davidoff is trying to buy everything it can get its hands on.
    iduno... its only two brand names.
    madurofan:
    gmill880:
    madurofan:

cusano has started to fall away for me. its not that they arent good. i just dont get the "wow" factor from their cigars. i always kinda looked at them as the "olive garden" of cigars. yea, olive garden is a decent place to eat. you will always go there be able to find a meal and leave without feeling like youve been taken advantage of, but you will almost never walk out of there saying that it was one of the best meals youve ever had wishing you were still hungry so you could have more. I guess its all personal.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    gmill880:
    madurofan:

I hope I'm correct, I've become a fairly big fan of Cusano .
    cusano has started to fall away for me. its not that they arent good. i just dont get the "wow" factor from their cigars. i always kinda looked at them as the "olive garden" of cigars. yea, olive garden is a decent place to eat. you will always go there be able to find a meal and leave without feeling like youve been taken advantage of, but you will almost never walk out of there saying that it was one of the best meals youve ever had wishing you were still hungry so you could have more. I guess its all personal.

So the last time I ate at an olive garden, they brought me out my chicken parm and the chicken was still frozen. This was over 10 years ago. I think they dropped it in the fryer for about 2 seconds. I will never eat there again.

Sorry Kuz, not sure if this is where you work.

So basically Davidoff will charge the same amount and take larger profits as they will get some economies of scale with their PO/Billing/Shipping/Accounting processes. Those teams will be affected. Possibly sales also.

Fourtotheflush:

So the last time I ate at an olive garden, they brought me out my chicken parm and the chicken was still frozen. This was over 10 years ago. I think they dropped it in the fryer for about 2 seconds. I will never eat there again.

So basically Davidoff will charge the same amount and take larger profits as they will get some economies of scale with their PO/Billing/Shipping/Accounting processes. Those teams will be affected. Possibly sales also.

no. its not where i work. in fact i kinda hate olive garden.

howerver, it was not "Olive garden" that served you raw chicken. it was the kid back there cooking who was an idiot. dont judge the entire company because of one *** that slipped through.

if that WAS where i worked, and i was the manager on duty, that guy would have been fired that night.
    accidentally under cooking chicken is almost understandable (but not really. i mean this is why we invented things like instant thermometers) but serving it frozen shows that that kid does not care. i can teach people to be less stupid. I cant teach them to be less lazy. thats the signal to let them go.

but what does that have to do with cusano? they serve you raw chicken also? (or the cigar equivalent?)
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    gmill880:
    madurofan:

<br. Kuzi have you had the Cusano Hermanos Vintage ...quite tasty ...
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    gmill880:
    madurofan:

Kuzi have you had the Cusano Hermanos Vintage ...quite tasty ...
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Olive Garden is garbage....other than that, I don't hink Cusano being bought out is going to change things too much based on previous actions by Davidoff. (hoping anyway)

"Long ashes my friends."

Krieg:
    Olive Garden is garbage....other than that, I don't hink Cusano being bought out is going to change things too much based on previous actions by Davidoff. (hoping anyway)
    ...but olive garden is ALWAYS busy. they appeal to the masses; and in a way, cusano does the same thing.
    I like the Cusano to Olive Garden comparison. Olive Garden is good, beats the hell out of Fazoli's but it doesn't touch a 5 star Italian restaraunt.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    After growing up with a family next door that ran their own farm stand and included two grandmothers who had emigrated from the Old Country, most Italian restaurants leave me disappointed. To keep the thread on track, I've only got one Cusano left in the humi!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    The only thought this inspires in my mind: are we going to see another version of the Black Band Project, this time for Cusano?
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    j0z3r:
    The only thought this inspires in my mind: are we going to see another version of the Black Band Project, this time for Cusano?
    One can only hope.
    i love how everyone knocks my comparison to olive garden by saying how much they hate olive garden. kinda missed the point.... how about:

Cusano is like (insert any casual dinning establishment that does millions and maybe billions worth of business worldwide) they arent amazing, but they arent bad. they have a tendency to be geared to the masses by having muted flavors that can appeal on a wide spectrum and they serve it at a price that is attainable to all. you may have your favorite dish/smoke but even that is not going to impress the best high end chefs/rollers

but i digress...
    found this earlier today:
    as a result of the acquisition, no employees will be laid off and Chiusano expects the workforce will grow in the future.

“I imagine our staff is going to get bigger and we’ll be really well positioned to handle the future whatever the future brings us in these economic times,” he said.

Cusano Cigars and Oettinger Davidoff Group began working together in 1997 when Tabadom SA, a subsidiary of the Swiss group, started making Cusano’s longfiller cigars.

“We’ve been working with this family for over 10 years so it was just a natural fit for us,” Chiusano said.

I did not know that Cusano and Davidoff has been working together for he last 12 years.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    kuzi16:
    Fourtotheflush:

no. its not where i work. in fact i kinda hate olive garden.

howerver, it was not "Olive garden" that served you raw chicken. it was the kid back there cooking who was an idiot. dont judge the entire company because of one *** that slipped through.

if that WAS where i worked, and i was the manager on duty, that guy would have been fired that night.
    accidentally under cooking chicken is almost understandable (but not really. i mean this is why we invented things like instant thermometers) but serving it frozen shows that that kid does not care. i can teach people to be less stupid. I cant teach them to be less lazy. thats the signal to let them go.

but what does that have to do with cusano? they serve you raw chicken also? (or the cigar equivalent?)

Nothing to do with cusano other than the information I posted about Cusano gaining efficiencies by wrapping all the cigar support functions under one roof. This was just a rant on Olive Garden. I didnt miss you point, Ive seen you use Olive Garden as a reference before and each time Ive held back on my OG rant and it finally spilled over!
    thats fair. youve had enough of "the OG"

...he he he ... OG
  • My last roommate worked at the Olive Garden and exposed me to the horrors of chain restaurantes. BTW in order to fire the "cook" who gave him frozen chicken you would have to get a translator. To the Davidoff purchase I say: General Cigars.
    kuzi16:

...he he he ... OG
    You giggled. Hand over your man card.
    forgetfulrobot:
    My last roommate worked at the Olive Garden and exposed me to the horrors of chain restaurantes. BTW in order to fire the "cook" who gave him frozen chicken you would have to get a translator. To the Davidoff purchase I say: General Cigars.
    not all chain restaurants are horrible. I manage an applebees. and yes, there is some BS that goes on, just like every job, but all in all, they have standards that i can get behind. the management team i work with has created an atmosphere in our store of giving the best service we can. this includes being as clean as we can get. in the last 2 years that i have been managing the store i am at we have never had anything less than a perfect score in our quarterly ohio health inspection. on a daily basis we have a list of things that we do to ensure sanitation. on a weekly basis we have a list of things that need to be disassembled, cleaned, and re assembled. on a monthly basis we do an internal store level health and operations inspection. on a quarterly basis, we have an internal district level health and operations inspection. on a half year basis we have the same inspection but on a state level.

chain places may suck to work for if you dont do well in a corporate environment, but as far as quality for what they are.... i cant complain.
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:

...he he he ... OG
    You giggled. Hand over your man card.
    it was a sinister mocking laugh. its hard to convey that in type.

i guess i coulda used a more evil font.
  • JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    kuzi16:
    Krieg:
    ...but olive garden is ALWAYS busy. they appeal to the masses; and in a way, cusano does the same thing.
    I think the food looks great on the olive garden commercials. I see it and then want some. Then I remeber how crappy the food is there in real life and have to remind myslef that it's only T.V.
    anyone else think that Davidoff will buy Alec Bradley Cigar Co. next?
    Camacho is a strong company thats brings a whole new taste profile to Davidoff, Cusano already had a relationship with Davidoff. Does Alec?
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    For Davidoff I think this was a solid choice. Cusano was already a healthy part of the production at their factory so now they own that production. Cusano also has a great distribution in C-Stores, liquor stores and other places that Davidoff is not. I think this will prove to be a valuable sales channel for them and not cannibalize any of their existing lines like camacho or Davidoff. The name of the game in this industry right now is acquisition. Some companies look better than others depending on who the buyers are. Cusano I think was an obvious choice for Davidoff. As fallout from the SCHIP tax continues to rear its ugly head into the summer and as the market unsaturates a bit, I think you are going to see more consolidation this year. Chances are a bulk of the announcements will come after the annual tradeshow in August.
    Thanks for the insight Alex.