Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Apple and Computer Gamers

RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
I am a PC gamer. There, I got it out of the way. With that being said, I see everyday in the news that Apple is killing Microsoft in sales. Now there are a TON of PC gamers out there. How come Apple has not tapped in to this market? Have they tried and failed? What brought this question up is that I was thinking in a few years I'll need to do a complete system upgrade on my computer...and I wonder if in a few years, I'll be buying an Apple gaming system. Just wondering.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    The problem has always been hardware. I can tweak the hell out of my Windows PC and not my Apple PC. Until Apple offers the same level of user customization and upgrades it will fail on the PC side.
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also think its why Ferrari doesnt make a pickup truck.... stick to what you are good at and stick to what people want. A computer that you dont need to tweak and just works... And I am a PC guy....
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    The fact is that for PC, you can constantly upgrade your hardware to squeeze out several more years of life out of your machine, whereas you can never do that with an Apple computer.

That and Apple has always had a bad habit of telling software developers to completely recode everything for their OS. Anyone that refuses to do so just doesn't get any love from Apple (ie - Flash media).
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    The main reason is economics. Apple has never held more than 10%-15% of the PC market; therefore, many game manufacturers never felt it was worth tweaking their games to work on Macs (the same reason why those who creates viruses optimized them for DOS and Windows; hit the systems that most people and companies use). Also, for a long time Macs were used mainly by designers, illustrators and other artistic-types, not a particularly huge market for games.
    Apple may in the end have the last laugh on the games issue, since sales of nearly all console systems and console and PC games have declined in recent years, as more people use iPhones and iPads for games rather than PCs. And since most of these mobile users are used to pay nothing or very little for these games, it's going to be very difficult for larger game manufacturers to compete. Expect a lot of consolidation and mergers in the gaming industry over the next few years, the number of choices for PC and console players gradually shrinking.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    You can run windows on macs and play games. Problem is your hardware will quickly become outdated. Good points on money made on handhelds.