Home Non Cigar Related

Comp. Operating System Help--Windows 7 Dell

VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
Ok folks, I have a Dell Insprion N7010 laptop. I bought a new hard drive, but alas I do not have the Windows 7 Home Premium Operating System Disk or the drivers I need to get it up and running again. Can anyone give me an easy fix, cheap fix, direct link to where I can buy a fix, or somthing??? Been looking online for answers for 2 hrs and I just dont know. I know I cant use my Windows XP Operating System Disk, because it gives the blue screen of death. Damn Im bad with tech. Please help.

Comments

• beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Buy a MAC
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Another smarta## comment and Ill buy a plane ticket and a hammer;)
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    Buying a disc online might be your best option, sometimes the IT dept at your employer(no idea of your situation, but mine has bailed me out before) can sneak a disk out of somewhere. Do you still have your Windows 'code' and you only need the disc?
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any Dell disc will work on any similar Dell system. They are not specific to the machine. So if you have any friend or neighbor with a Dell 2007 it will work. That's the way Dell buy the system from Microsuck.

I'm sure there's a BOTL here with a Dell under Windows 2007 who can burn an image and shoot you a CD.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

webmost:
    I'm sure there's a BOTL here with a Dell under Windows 2007 who can burn an image and shoot you a CD.

Wasnt going to come out and ASK FOR A WINDOWS 7 HOME EDITION 64 BIT DELL OPERATING SYSTEMS DISC----due to copywright and such Webmost, but Ill say again I will not PLEASE ASK FOR A WINDOWS 7 HOME EDITION 64 BIT DELL OPERATING SYSTEMS DISC;)
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Do you have access to the OS partition on your old HD? I assume it was in your dell. You can either contact dell directly and ask them for a disk or maybe you could go to their website and possibly download it. Thing about laptops and even store bought computers these days, they don't give you a disc anymore and if they do give you the OS it's usually on a partition on the HD. Sort of weak crap if you ask me. What would be nice if you could go to their site, enter your latop ID and then be able to download the OS.

If you want though, and it may be better since it won't have the bloatware, order a OEM of windows 7. That way you have a hard disc and can put it on any computer you would like or multiple.
    Dell is no help to me on this one....tried already down that road.
    Vulchor:
    webmost:

Wasnt going to come out and ASK FOR A WINDOWS 7 HOME EDITION 64 BIT DELL OPERATING SYSTEMS DISC----due to copywright and such Webmost, but Ill say again I will not PLEASE ASK FOR A WINDOWS 7 HOME EDITION 64 BIT DELL OPERATING SYSTEMS DISC;)
    What I have am telling you is that there is no copyright issue on Dell machines.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Vulchor:
    You don't call Dell. You just use any of their discs ... all are thr same.

webmost:
    Vulchor:
    You don't call Dell. You just use any of their discs ... all are thr same.
    Yeah but if he doesn't have a disc it won't matter.

Other than what I already mentioned and if you can't get a hold of another "dell" OS then you might as well get an OEM windows 7 disc. New Egg has them on sale at times or you could try ebay.
    This problem MAY be solved thanks to an old "friend of a friend of a friend"-----then Im going back to using a rotary phone and carrier pigeon only.
    Vulchor:
    This problem MAY be solved thanks to an old "friend of a friend of a friend"-----then Im going back to using a rotary phone and carrier pigeon only.
    lol, probably have better luck with the pigeon.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    Vulchor:

if it doesn't work out, let me know. I can get you a copy of windows, and then from there you can go to Dell.com for all the drivers.

You will have to have your product key, which should be on a sticker on your machine somewhere.