Home Non Cigar Related

Confession

VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
OK Folks, its time to cleanse yourself of your sins. Time to admit your shortcomings and time to tell that story you have wanted to get off your chest but been too afraid to. There shall be no judgement allowed and all will be confidential, at least between us all here. The following is why I decided to make this thread...

I have never enjoyed cigars as much as I wanted to. I enjoy the hobby, the chatting, the buying, the smelling, the hunt for new stuff, the arranging a humidor, the seeing new shops------and all of it I love more than smoking the cigar itself. Not to say I hate smoking, but of all the "cigar related things" I probably enjoy the actual smoking the least.

Comments

• ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Honestly, I feel the same way. I used to really enjoy smoking a good cigar but work, kids, and family matters have put a serious bind on the hobby. The last time I truly enjoyed smoking was in February when I met up with JDH and acewoodson for a mini-herf. Anytime after that I have to worry about being sent on a call, one of the kids screaming for something or the wife griping that I'm not spending enough time with the family.
    It seems that everyone has a lull in their desire to smoke and that some time off from the hobby does good, but its pretty disheartening when you open your humidor and immediately close it because the desire is gone.
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Agreed. I enjoy smoking, especially a time like now where I'm only smoking 1-2 per month, but keeping up with the community, etc are just as enjoyable. If I ever decide to quit smoking altogether I will still keep my humidor so I can open and smell 4 times a day.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Another reason why I don't want kids. My wife wants them but I don't. I like the way things are. I personally feel that some things we should get to do and that means personal time. Most everyone I know has kids and all of them have hardly any time for themselves and I can't do that. So I guess my "get off my chest" thing would be what I just said. I haven't smoked a lot lately however I do enjoy it and I like being able to have the time to do so.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dave, totally understand where you are coming from! Smoking time is controlled by the weather, work, wife, family, kids, chores etc.. I agree that finding, bombing, researching and meeting these great guys is far more interesting than smoking. When I do smoke I worry about what I should be doing. I guess our time is not our own, it belongs to the masses. Very sad.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What? You mean this is all I have to look forward to? Gee, I hope it never happens to me.

Fifty five years in, I still cannot go a day without a motorcycle ride. My palms get itchy. Especially the right palm, under which the throttle grip does not rest for long.

Twenty eight years in, I still can't start the day without squeezing the RedHead's mammaries. If I don't my palms get itchy. Especially the right one, under which...

Forty five years in, I still want a beer most every day. If I don't, my throat gets itchy.

One year in, I still can't start the day without wondering which stick I will smoke at the end of it. WHAT! You mean to tell me this enthusiasm won't last so long as the other ones?

Heart broken. Soul sick. I feel like I just fell off the physical cliff. Dude. You ought to have kept that confession to yourself. That's cruel.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I started smoking cigars because I quit smoking cigarettes. My wife and I quit cigs for our kids, but I still did (and do) miss smoking.That being said, I like cigars. I started for the wrong reasons, but they grew on me.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    I think for me, cigars are like pu$$y. Now bear with me here. The more I have either one, the more I think about it, and the more I want more.

If I go without either one for a while, I think about it less, and then I'm OK without having it as often, within reason of course. After too long, I reach a point where I just have to have some (either one lol). Then I think about it more and the whole cycle starts over.

Having said all that, I have always thoroughly enjoyed cigars (and pu$$y) unless they are too strong and make me sick to my stomach.

I better stop typing now...
    Davis, a PM to you sir.
    Heavy, hilarious bro! Fitting as it may be, still funny as He11!
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    What? You mean this is all I have to look forward to? Gee, I hope it never happens to me.

Fifty five years in, I still cannot go a day without a motorcycle ride. My palms get itchy. Especially the right palm, under which the throttle grip does not rest for long.

Twenty eight years in, I still can't start the day without squeezing the RedHead's mammaries. If I don't my palms get itchy. Especially the right one, under which...

Forty five years in, I still want a beer most every day. If I don't, my throat gets itchy.

One year in, I still can't start the day without wondering which stick I will smoke at the end of it. WHAT! You mean to tell me this enthusiasm won't last so long as the other ones?

Heart broken. Soul sick. I feel like I just fell off the physical cliff. Dude. You ought to have kept that confession to yourself. That's cruel.

Whew! At least I'm not alone. Hopin' for a cure for our bros...;)
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Over the years, I've gone through many "dry" spells where I all but quit smoking cigars.
    I used to smoke cigars when my buddies and I would have poker games at my house when I got out of high school.
    Then I quit cigars for quite a few years.
    Then in 2002, I started back up again.
    This time, I went feet first into it, humis, buying from certain cigar auctions, etc.
    Over the last 10 years, I've gone through a lot of times, where I would go months and barely smoke any cigars. Summer before last was a tough one for me. A lot going on in my life and I probably smoked 5 cigars the entire summer.

When I decided to start regularly smoking cigars after last summer again is when I found this forum.
    I still don't smoke a ton of cigars.
    My week in Vegas was probably the most cigars I've smoked in a week in a long time.
    I find that I spend more time enjoying the cigar now, than I used to.

I do see what the guys mean when they say they enjoy the hobby itself more than actually smoking the cigars. I can see how that can happen.
    I enjoy the cigars, but I do enjoy the hobby, the people and those things.

And Phobic, it's funny you mention the not wanting kids. I have said many times, I'd be rich if it weren't for my kids. They consume everything. Food, money, time, everything.
    And it doesn't seem to stop when they get older.
    My boys are my pride and joy and the source of my worst headaches. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Heavy:
    I think for me, cigars are like pu$$y. Now bear with me here. The more I have either one, the more I think about it, and the more I want more.

If I go without either one for a while, I think about it less, and then I'm OK without having it as often, within reason of course. After too long, I reach a point where I just have to have some (either one lol). Then I think about it more and the whole cycle starts over.

Having said all that, I have always thoroughly enjoyed cigars (and pu$$y) unless they are too strong and make me sick to my stomach.

I better stop typing now...
    wanna talk about pu$$y vs. cigars. Ask Webmost about his stink finger (my favorite part of the davis review)
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Slightly embarrassing yet true confession: I actually like Bud Light lime-a-rita. Go ahead and judge me.

It started as an accident... I ran out of my beer and grabbed what was left of what the women were drinking. Then I kinda liked it. Then I realized it was 8% alcohol and liked it even more. Then I drank one while smoking a cigar and realized I got the citrus palate cleansing affect I like and it complements most cigars well. So now I don't just buy em for my wife. I buy em for me too...
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BigT06:
    Slightly embarrassing yet true confession: I actually like Bud Light lime-a-rita. Go ahead and judge me.

It started as an accident... I ran out of my beer and grabbed what was left of what the women were drinking. Then I kinda liked it. Then I realized it was 8% alcohol and liked it even more. Then I drank one while smoking a cigar and realized I got the citrus palate cleansing affect I like and it complements most cigars well. So now I don't just buy em for my wife. I buy em for me too...
    Cheetos H Cripes!

That's it. Can't read no more of this. I'll have nightmares.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Hi. I'm new here. Is this the Bud Light Lime-a-rita forum?
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I'm drunk, and I did it through jello shots. Don't judge me.
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Lime-a-ritas are perfect for the golf course if it's cold or hot out. Slam it and it will keep you warm, or at least slow the shiver down enough so you can putt, and pour it over ice during the summer and it'll keep you cool.

My confession... today I drove most of the way across Oklahoma with my gas cap dangling in the wind.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    About 15 years ago, broke (though nothing was broke) into a store with a friend once in the middle of the night and robbed the register, safe, ect. No one was there and no weapons were used or even though of...a thief I was, not a man of violence. Not a HUGE take but was a huge rush----and a source of both excitement and guilt over the years.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From my late teens till my early thirties I was a big drunk/druggie especially the coke. It took me getting served with divorce papers to get my head straight. Though I still like my occasional Scotch or beer I haven't done drugs in 16 years. I wonder if I'd have discovered premium cigars way back when maybe I'd have gone a different route then staying doped up all the time. Oh and I never did get that divorce. But it took years to earn my wife's trust back.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Ate at a Bennetts BBQ in NC once . Less than 2 miles down the road after we left I had to pull ( swerve actually ! ) off the road and take a sh_it behind some bushes on the roadside . The bushes were not all that big . I suppose people thought I was the ugliest damn groundhog they had ever seen on the side of the road or maybe a groundhog with the mange and almost no fur LMAO !!!
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Ok, now this is officially the weirdest thread I'v ever seen.
    When I was in college I worked at Wendy's. one of my coworkers was a complete tool. He got stuck with bathroom duty one day so I went into the men's room and took a dump in a urinal. Payback, son!
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    I like tuhtles
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Toombes:
    When I was in college I worked at Wendy's. one of my coworkers was a complete tool. He got stuck with bathroom duty one day so I went into the men's room and took a dump in a urinal. Payback, son!
    Beautiful
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vulchor:
    Toombes:
    Beautiful
    Damn that's messed up! I love it!
  • RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    Another reason why I don't want kids. My wife wants them but I don't. I like the way things are. I personally feel that some things we should get to do and that means personal time. Most everyone I know has kids and all of them have hardly any time for themselves and I can't do that. So I guess my "get off my chest" thing would be what I just said. I haven't smoked a lot lately however I do enjoy it and I like being able to have the time to do so.

Total opposite of this. Love the fact that I have kids and they have nothing to do with my cigar hobby. They are my joy. When I'm having a rough day, they know. And for some kind of awesome way they come up with the craziest things to get me in a happy mood. To watch them grow and mature is a blessing. By no means am I saying that everyday is great. But what I'm saying is the good out weighs the bad.

What makes everytime special for me in this hobby. Is, I have to plan my days in advance so that I can have a cigar. That's part of the hobby itself. That's what keeps the excitement for me. I know there are two days dedicated to my hobby time. Thursday night and Saturday morning barring nothing happens thats an emergency. In between those days in the morning. If I can find time, I take advantage of it by having a cigar or doing some kind of research dealing with my hobby. My true confession dealing with my cigar obsession. I hate that I'm a organize freak. Meaning, I want my cigars situated a certain way in my humidor. I want them labeled and not mixed up. I want them separated by regions, I know that sounds crazy. But that's what keeps me sane with this hobby. I guess because it's so many cigars and accessories. I have a lot I can do. With saying that, this part of this hobby consumes about 60% of my time. I could be having a smoke, yet I have to label the cigars that just came in. Seperate them and put them in their right place. How crazy does it get sometimes. Let's see, torpedos, in one section, robusto's in another, lanceros go here and 60 rings. Well, you get what I'm saying. On top of all that, it kills my time to pack up bombs and gifts and those get delayed, lol. Which makes for another issue for me. Because I want to get those taken cared of too. As I'm typing all this my pulse is high just thinking about tonight's smoke, lol.

Sorry guys, I can't fall in the loop of my wife and kids held me back from a smoke. Only time that happens is when I can't plan it out. And if you have a wife and kids. You should still be able to have time for yourself and your family. Phobicsquirrel, don't let that be your reason. If you truly want kids and you still want to get out and be adventurous. You can do it my friend, you just have to plan it. My wife and I are doing a seven day cruise soon. Guess what, no children and I'm looking forward to the cigar lounge on the ship. We just planned it out and I'm super excited about it.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    +1

My wife will sometimes join me when I'm smoking a cigar just to spend time with me. She doesn't smoke herself or really like the smoke. Sometimes we talk (which I enjoy much more over a cigar) sometimes we don't. But the cigar is a great way to get away from our kids for a while, because they won't come near it! Yet, I love my kids like nothing else. Last night, I watched a movie with the family and my daughter curled up next to me and cuddled in. Nothing like it, man, nothing like it.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Hear, hear, RCY!
    I've got two kids who are nearing college age but even when they were younger I could have made time for a cigar if I were smoking back then. Even now, I don't smoke at home at all...only during my lunch time, and then only once or twice a week at most. Where there's a weill there's a way.
    Although I do confess like the OP that I often find the act of collecting and discussing cigars more fun that actually smokin them. Many is the time I've considered giving up this stinkin' hobby after suffering through the many cigars I haven't liked at all. For me, if I'm going to end up with smoke-stinky fingers and breath, and incrementally increase my chances of mouth and throat cancer, the experience itself should be a pleasurable one.
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    I smoked a joint with Willie Nelson back in the 70's at the Armadillo World Headquarters in Austin Texas....and that's all of that story you boys are gonna hear.
  • I landed my first DUI middle of November last year.
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    I was 15 minutes late to work this morning because I couldn't find my stocking cap. I had it 10 minutes before I started looking when I went out to start my vehicle. I must have turned over everything downstairs in my apartment before I started the search upstairs. On my way back down I felt something brush my neck. It was in the hood of my jacket the whole time.