Home Non Cigar Related

Subpoena

RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
I got a a subpoena to show up to court to testify in my wife's case. AND IT CAME WITH TEN BUCKS!Party time!Seriously, though, why do they give me money to come to court? The first thing I thought is because they are paying you for your time....but 10 bucks is like an hour of work for a lot of people. Is it an ancient, binding measure...like because they gave me money, I'm obligated to show up?

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's gas money.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    0patience:
    It's gas money.
    ..well how am I gonna pay these strippers?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Rain:
    0patience:
    It's gas money.
    By Check....you can be the first..oh wait...never mind.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    0patience:
    It's gas money.
    Exactly.. travel expenses. I did jury duty last year and got 12.50 a day for duty and .10 per mile for travel. I got to keep the travel money, and had to pass the rest to my employer who in turn paid me full wages. ( I work for the state).
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i always thought it was for parking. id rather they give nothing because it is almost insulting given the hassle. but i guess its better than nothing and it helps the people that would otherwise be unable to afford the trip downtown. interesting either way.

as far as strippers go...
    just get really bad ones. they work for cheap.
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    On a more cynical note, it makes it hard to say you didn't receive the subpoena after cashing the check.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    james40:
    Rain:
    0patience:
    It's gas money.
    I think they all have that app where you can swipe your card, I'm told.....
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    jthanatos:
    On a more cynical note, it makes it hard to say you didn't receive the subpoena after cashing the check.
    It was straight cash homie, as Randy Moss would say.On a more humorous note..it's funny if I'm like "Oh, ten bucks! Wait a minute...f***"
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    jthanatos:
    It was straight cash homie, as Randy Moss would say.On a more humorous note..it's funny if I'm like "Oh, ten bucks! Wait a minute...f***"
    Wow, I weep for their bookkeepers and auditors.
  • reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    james40:
    Rain:
    0patience:
    It's gas money.
    I think they all have that app where you can swipe your card, I'm told.....
    that slot is for swiping a card!!??...im doin it all wrong!