Home Non Cigar Related

Hacker's Corner FORE!!!!

PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
Well I got to thinking this might be a topic some golfers could get involved in and interested in and contribute to.

I've been playing since I was about 20 years old, I am now 28, and I am not that good, but I was shooting in the mid 80's last year when I was playing pretty often. Last time I played it was horrible! My swing felt like a lawn chair unfolding and I had the... I hate to even say the word... shanks! Shhh... Don't tell anyone I said that. It was horrible and it took me the whole 18 holes before I realized what I was doing wrong. I was rolling the club face open on my take away and not shifting my weight before I started my down swing which was causing my right hip to move forward. So even though I had a nice inside out swing path I was catching the ball on the hozzle and shooting it 90 degrees. Not sure if that makes sense to anyone, but it was bad. I really hope to tune up my swing this week so I can start playing some tournaments and money games.

Anyone else have any thoughts, stories, insults, or rude remarks dealing with golf?? lol

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ThesefilthyHands tells me hes gunna teach me to drive.

thats as far in as i am.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    kuzi16:

thats as far in as i am.
    It is actually best to start learning with a 7 Iron. I can play most places and do as well if not better if I never pull out the driver. If you are interested in learning a little about golf pick up Harvey Pennick's "Little Red Book" of golf. He had some of the best storied and great teaching methods. He had a student come to him once saying he wasn't putting well and needing Harvey to help him on the green. Harvey took off walking towards the range and the student stopped him thinking maybe in his old age his hearing wasn't so great. He said "Harvey I need to work on my putting on the green." To which Harvey told him, "If you are missing your putts it is because you are too far from the hole. You need to hit your iron shots closer."
    im not sure i wanna get into "golf"

but for some reason, going to the driving range and whackin a few balls around seems like a good stress reducer.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    So this woman comes back into the clubhouse and tells the pro that she's been stung by a bee.
    "Where did you get stung?"
    "Between the first and second holes," she answered.
    "Oh," says the pro. "Your stance is too wide".

To my father's disappointment (his retirement job was starter at a golf club), all I know about golf I learned from watching Happy Gilmore.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    im not sure i wanna get into "golf"

but for some reason, going to the driving range and whackin a few balls around seems like a good stress reducer.
    I second that! One of the best summers I had in high school was when I bought a $180 golf set from Wal-Mart and just went to driving ranges... I only played like 2 actual rounds of golf in my life, but love the driving range!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    funny joke. I play golf, often actually. though have been missing some days lately. I've got my drive down, I can usually get on the green in time for a birdie or at least par, it's my putting that kicks my ass. Some days it's okay, others I can't get it to zero in. Oh and I can't use my woods to save my life. I think I've been able to get a ball to fly once or so with any wood. I usually just use my 3 iron if it's far enough. I haven't seen the real need for a wood, then again I'm just a novice.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I love golf, I play every chance I get sometimes 3-4 times a week. Here lately I have not had a chance to play, though. Last time I didn't get to play for a while, when I finally got on the course it was like i had forgotten whech end of the club to hold onto. On the 16th hole, I figured it out - I was slicing because I was addressing too far from the ball. The more I hit, the further away I'd back off from the ball, making the problem worse. On the 16th hole, I finally unfroze my brain and realized what I was doing - overcompensating in thewrong direction. I addressed the ball closer to my stance, and went par, birdie, birdie. I was still pissed because on the other 15 holes the best score I got was a par on #1, and only 3 single bogies. I threw several clubs further than the ball I hit with them went. My buddie I was playing with was tearing up the course, so after the 18th hole we decided to play another 9. His game flat fell apart and I tore it up that nine. He threw several clubs too, lol.

Golf is so relaxing!
  • bibbybibby Posts: 152
    PuroFreak:
    kuzi16:

thats as far in as i am.
    It is actually best to start learning with a 7 Iron. I can play most places and do as well if not better if I never pull out the driver. If you are interested in learning a little about golf pick up Harvey Pennick's "Little Red Book" of golf. He had some of the best storied and great teaching methods. He had a student come to him once saying he wasn't putting well and needing Harvey to help him on the green. Harvey took off walking towards the range and the student stopped him thinking maybe in his old age his hearing wasn't so great. He said "Harvey I need to work on my putting on the green." To which Harvey told him, "If you are missing your putts it is because you are too far from the hole. You need to hit your iron shots closer."
    Not that I would presume to ever say Penick is wrong... As a PGA Golf Professional I also teach the game as part of my living; Almost all high handicap players and beginners would be reckless to follow this advice. It is only applicable to better more consistent players. Beginners especially but higher handicap players need to address their short game as the most efficient and timely way to reduce their scores.

Penick is a great read, anything by Bob Rotella my favorite "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect" is a great read once you want to get serious, and I personally recommend "Practical Golf" by John Jacobs. To be completely honest Butch Harmon (yes Tiger's first major coach) turned me on to "Practical Golf" during a seminar he was giving that I was attending. He requires all golf instructors that teach for him at his golf schools to read this one book.

As far as hitting golf shots and trying to learn the full swing; Puro is pretty accurate use a 6 or 7 Iron for any and all swing changes or to learn at first. Most importantly though, don't take the free lessons from your buddies who are slightly better than you. Go see a PGA Golf Professional at your nearest golf facility if you want to actually learn the game. Prices will vary regionally, but I would assume you could get an hour lesson for around $60 and a series of 3 for around $150-200. The only thing I don't want to do is get your hopes up, the professional can help you learn the basics and curb any flaws before they become to ingrained; yet at the end of the day the individual swinging the club needs to practice what is taught to achieve any level of success.

Puro great topic! Who doesn't love to play golf and smoke a stogie? If anyone is ever in Vegas and has time to play and smoke let me know.

Rob
    Bibby:
    PuroFreak:
    kuzi16:

thats as far in as i am.
    Not that I would presume to ever say Penick is wrong... As a PGA Golf Professional I also teach the game as part of my living; Almost all high handicap players and beginners would be reckless to follow this advice. It is only applicable to better more consistent players. Beginners especially but higher handicap players need to address their short game as the most efficient and timely way to reduce their scores.

Penick is a great read, anything by Bob Rotella my favorite "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect" is a great read once you want to get serious, and I personally recommend "Practical Golf" by John Jacobs. To be completely honest Butch Harmon (yes Tiger's first major coach) turned me on to "Practical Golf" during a seminar he was giving that I was attending. He requires all golf instructors that teach for him at his golf schools to read this one book.

As far as hitting golf shots and trying to learn the full swing; Puro is pretty accurate use a 6 or 7 Iron for any and all swing changes or to learn at first. Most importantly though, don't take the free lessons from your buddies who are slightly better than you. Go see a PGA Golf Professional at your nearest golf facility if you want to actually learn the game. Prices will vary regionally, but I would assume you could get an hour lesson for around $60 and a series of 3 for around $150-200. The only thing I don't want to do is get your hopes up, the professional can help you learn the basics and curb any flaws before they become to ingrained; yet at the end of the day the individual swinging the club needs to practice what is taught to achieve any level of success.

Puro great topic! Who doesn't love to play golf and smoke a stogie? If anyone is ever in Vegas and has time to play and smoke let me know.

Rob
    I have a buddy that used to be a Greens keeper at some courses in Vegas several years ago. He still knows a lot of guys up there in the golf industry and goes up there a couple times a year to play. Back to Penick, I have 2 of his books, the Little Red Book, and the little great book, "And if You Play Golf, You are my Friend." Even if reading them doesn't improve your game, they are awesome books that teach some great things about life in general. I agree that the advice he gave that student was better for a more skilled player, but it was damn funny. Glad to see I'm not the only hacker around here though.
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    PuroFreak:
    Even if reading them doesn't improve your game, they are awesome books that teach some great things about life in general.
    I think that's why I enjoy golf so much these days. It teaches me great things about life in general. If I can handle having a bad round without it ruining the experience, I can handle having a rough day/week. It's all about taking the most positive action possible from your current position. Makes me want to go play. I've been reading Zen Golf: Mastering the Mental Game by Dr. Joseph Parent. It may have to do a little more with life than specifically golf, but doing the suggested actions in his book have really let me enjoy the game more.

PS. Thanks for starting this thread Puro.
    wow. i so dont care about golf enough to pay $200 for lessons.

• nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:

$200 on lessons?... or $200 on cigars?... Cigars. I'm gonna confess. I picked up my clubs and bag for less than $20. Most of them are Titlest, but they are "vintage". That's just how I roll. They are in very good condition, but they aren't my obsession. One of these days I'm going to go to a driving range, but I've got to fininsh physical therapy before I can play anything. It gives lots of time to read and smoke cigars though.
    nightmaremike31:
    kuzi16:

$200 on lessons?... or $200 on cigars?... Cigars. I'm gonna confess. I picked up my clubs and bag for less than $20. Most of them are Titlest, but they are "vintage". That's just how I roll. They are in very good condition, but they aren't my obsession. One of these days I'm going to go to a driving range, but I've got to fininsh physical therapy before I can play anything. It gives lots of time to read and smoke cigars though.
    This post gave me a good idea for this topic. Whats in your bag? Anyone wanna share what clubs they have and maybe what they would like to have?

I have a set of Titlest DCI 990's which are an older iron but still a wonderful set! These clubs were made to work the ball and you have to hit them dead center, but when you do they are very nice. For the long stick I have a Taylor Made 580 XD which is a great driver with a classic shaped head. Great distance and forgiveness. My 3 Wood is a Nike Sasquatch, my wedges, a 52, 56, and 60 degree, are all Cleveland CG10's, and my putter is a Ping Craz-E. Kind of a mixed and matched set, but I got what I like in each club. The only thing I really would like to change is my irons. I really want to get a set of the Taylor Made R7's. Those are great irons and have the best feel of anything I've every hit.
    i have two sets of clubs actually. (pretty good for a guy who has never once used them)
    im not sure what they are but my father in law gave them to me because he was getting a new set custom made for him. ill look at em later and tell you all what they are. maybe you guys can tell me if they ae good.
    My parents bought my first set of clubs for me when I was in 5th grade. They got them at an auction for like $75. That set last me up through about 2 years ago(with some additions and subtractions, lost clubs etc). That set was "junk" compared to the new technology there is out now, even 5 years ago, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the game, or even getting pretty decent with "junk" clubs. Even after some years playing, I still love to pull out my dads old(like 1960s) 2 iron and hit it. I used to take his old persimmon woods and hit them too. I guess the point is that you can enjoy the game with anything. I'm currently playing with an old Northwestern blade putter. I left mine at a course not too long ago, so I had to borrow my dad's old blade. I love it.

I also love the set of clubs I bought a couple years ago.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I think I asked brandon but anyone else use a hybrid? I've heard they were pretty nice.
    phobicsquirrel:
    I think I asked brandon but anyone else use a hybrid? I've heard they were pretty nice.
    warning: bad joke....

does it get good mileage?

-what does your hybrid sound like?
    -hhhooooooooaaa
    - thats cool

phobicsquirrel:
    I do, I got a Taylor Made Hybrid because my set didn't come with a 3 Iron. The thing is amazing! I can hit it dead straight but play the ball higher so it stops better if I'm shooting at the green. I use it for shots in the 215-225 range. If I REALLY get on it I can carry it 230. Great club and a lot more forgiving than an iron!
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    phobicsquirrel:
    warning: bad joke....

does it get good mileage?

-what does your hybrid sound like?
    -hhhooooooooaaa
    - thats cool

Dude, I love that comercial! I want a black bug like him, all original, but he has to have the accent too or else it's just not worth it
  • bibbybibby Posts: 152
    phobicsquirrel:
    I use a callaway FT series Hybrid; all players should use them! Far better than long irons specifically a lot easier to hit well consistently, additionally they provide more options. Not many people outside of tour players are going to be able to take a 2, 3, or 4 Iron out of a bunker, rough, or a sloping lie with any level of consistency.

Great topic here Puro, glad so many people enjoy the game and get the intended relaxation and recreational benefits.

As far as in the bag I'm currently a Callaway Staff Pro (sounds better than it is, you get some free clubs that's about it. Only issue is that if you liked your old stuff or something another manufactor makes you really can't use it.) so I roll with mostly their stuff. I have the new FT 9 Driver, Diablo 3-wood, FT Hybrid, the X-forged Irons, 52 and 56 degree raw vokey wedges (quite possibly the best wedges ever made in my opinion), 60 degree x-forged wedge, and I use the black series #1 putter. Great sticks, spendy if you had to purchase them though. Puro, those 990's are great sticks but the R7s are way ahead in technology. See if you can get a great deal and upgrade if you like them.

Rob
    Bibby:
    phobicsquirrel:
    I use a callaway FT series Hybrid; all players should use them! Far better than long irons specifically a lot easier to hit well consistently, additionally they provide more options. Not many people outside of tour players are going to be able to take a 2, 3, or 4 Iron out of a bunker, rough, or a sloping lie with any level of consistency.

Great topic here Puro, glad so many people enjoy the game and get the intended relaxation and recreational benefits.

As far as in the bag I'm currently a Callaway Staff Pro (sounds better than it is, you get some free clubs that's about it. Only issue is that if you liked your old stuff or something another manufactor makes you really can't use it.) so I roll with mostly their stuff. I have the new FT 9 Driver, Diablo 3-wood, FT Hybrid, the X-forged Irons, 52 and 56 degree raw vokey wedges (quite possibly the best wedges ever made in my opinion), 60 degree x-forged wedge, and I use the black series #1 putter. Great sticks, spendy if you had to purchase them though. Puro, those 990's are great sticks but the R7s are way ahead in technology. See if you can get a great deal and upgrade if you like them.

Rob
    Yea, I'm planning on upgrading and I know I can get them for $350-$400, but gotta come up with the extra cash first. Ive hit a ton of clubs and those are what I like the most.
    Callaway Big Bertha driver, Callaway X18 irons, 52 and 56 degree Cleveland wedges (CG4, i think), Odyssey 2 ball putter, Wilson fat shaft 3 wood, laser range finder, sky caddie, and an umbrella(rained a lot when I was in Mississippi)...

The Wilson fatshaft was part of a full set of clubs that the local course I play had been using for rentals. They were buying new rental clubs, and selling the old ones. I bought 2 drivers, that 3 wood, a full set of irons and a putter PLUS the bag for $100 about 5 years ago from the golf pro there who was and still is a poker buddie. He's since left the golf pro business and is selling cars now...
    I've been playing with Cleveland Hi-Bore XLS 10.5 degree Driver, Cleveland Hi-Bore XLS 3 wood, and Cleveland Hi-Bore 2i Hybrid, Bridgestone J-33 Forged Cavity Back Irons 3-pw, a Cleveland CG4 52 degree wedge and a Titleist Vokey 56 degree wedge. Putting with an old Northwestern Blade style putter...prolly from the 60s. I've been waiting to pull the trigger on a new putter after leaving my old Wilson Deep Red putter at a putt putt course. Thinking of maybe going with the original two bar putter.

I usually tee up Bridgestone B-330s balls.
    My buddy bought the 2 Bar and it is a nice putter, it has the weights you can swap out and he decided to try the heavy weights one day and it didn't work out well. He left every putt either 10-15 feet short, or blew 10-15 feet past the hole. It was a BAD day. My Ping Craz-E is a great putter. Easy to line up and great feel. I use to have a nice Ping Karsten blade that was a little older and it was nice, but the Craz-E has has improved my putting.

What is everyones favorite club in their bag? What is the one club you know you can hit well and pull off different shots with for whatever situation you face?
    Mine would have to be my Taylor Made Hybrid 3. I can play a high shot that will drop and stop, or I can hit a low stinger that will roll out to get maximum distance if I'm teeing off on a medium length par 4, and I can hit a draw or fade as needed. It's one club I know I can trust.
    My cheap-ass 3 wood is the most consistent club I own. Ugliest too. When my driver goes and catches a case of the slices, I'll put it in the bag and tee off with the 3-wood. I can hit a draw, fade, keep it low, or get it up in the air.

Second choice would be my Cleveland wedges. My short game is great, I chip one in at least once every 36 holes or so.
    ok

so I finally went to look to see whats in the golf bag in my basement i dont know the year of any of these but i have a fire hawk driver, mizuno irons, and a few leyland woods.

strangely enough, i also have another set of irons in there and they are spalding.
    kuzi16:
    ok

so I finally went to look to see whats in the golf bag in my basement i dont know the year of any of these but i have a fire hawk driver, mizuno irons, and a few leyland woods.

strangely enough, i also have another set of irons in there and they are spalding.
    It doesn't matter the year on the Mizuon Irons...they are nice. If I could have afforded them, I would've bought some Mizunos over the Bridgestone Irons I bought.
    PuroFreak:
    What is everyones favorite club in their bag? What is the one club you know you can hit well and pull off different shots with for whatever situation you face?
    Mine would have to be my Taylor Made Hybrid 3. I can play a high shot that will drop and stop, or I can hit a low stinger that will roll out to get maximum distance if I'm teeing off on a medium length par 4, and I can hit a draw or fade as needed. It's one club I know I can trust.
    My go to club would have to be my 8 iron. A couple years back I sat on the range and practiced with one club for about 3-4 practice sessions. Played 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 length shots with my eight iron and was able to even learn some small draw and fade shots with it. I practiced around the green with it and even used it to practice my putting stroke. When I lost my putter earlier this year, I putted with my 8 iron a couple rounds.

I guess it would be a go to club for me, but the last round I played, I think I pulled it out once. For a down hill 60 yard shot that I wanted to land short of the green and release it on. Worked pretty well. Then I played a similar shot later with my 5 iron. While I love hitting my 8 iron, I think I trust my swing to do similar things with all my clubs now.

I do love the fun stuff I can pull off with my hybrid too.
    bbc020:
    PuroFreak:
    My go to club would have to be my 8 iron. A couple years back I sat on the range and practiced with one club for about 3-4 practice sessions. Played 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 length shots with my eight iron and was able to even learn some small draw and fade shots with it. I practiced around the green with it and even used it to practice my putting stroke. When I lost my putter earlier this year, I putted with my 8 iron a couple rounds.

I guess it would be a go to club for me, but the last round I played, I think I pulled it out once. For a down hill 60 yard shot that I wanted to land short of the green and release it on. Worked pretty well. Then I played a similar shot later with my 5 iron. While I love hitting my 8 iron, I think I trust my swing to do similar things with all my clubs now.

I do love the fun stuff I can pull off with my hybrid too.
    Yea I love pulling off shots with my hybrid. The best trouble shot I have with it is a long hard hook. It's nice if I get myself in tree trouble with a hook of the tee. A lot of times that high hook can get me around the trees and at least fairly close to the green.
  • Ahhh...cigar's and golf. The most natural combination in the world after Wonder Woman and tanning oil. My favorite club is my driver, I love to just let them rip off the tee. Plus the extra carry you get at elevation makes your "richard" feel just a liittle bit bigger. Drive for show and putt for dough...I'm poor as sh*t but I get noticed a lot. Longest drive I've had to date is 376yds, stopped 18" from the cup and I putted in for my first and only eagle. Had three witnesses on the tee and four more on the green. Had no idea the ball went that far and was pissed first becasue I thought I lost it and second because the group in front of us left trash on the green. Turns out it was an ice cold beer, left right behind my ball.