Home Non Cigar Related

Privacy Laws

kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
Pizza ordering in 2012

Its From the ACLU (an organization that has questionable methods at times and i cant seem to get behind much), but it makes a good point.

the "Take action" link at the end of the movie takes you to page that makes this statement:
ACLU:
We may not live in a society where government and private corporations collude to track your every move -- not yet anyways. But, we are fast approaching a surveillance society where every move, transaction and communication is recorded, compiled, and stored away to be examined and used by the authorities -- and even private corporations --whenever they want.

In 2005, Congress passed the Real ID Act, a federal effort to create a national identity card and a database to support it. It would force all states to connect their DMV databases to one interlinked system -- facilitating government tracking of Americans

im not sure how over reactionary this is, but the concept of keeping my info private i can get behind.

for the record, i didnt sign the online petition associated with this link; ironically because i didnt want to give them my information.

Comments

• nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    This sounds similar to something big box stores were trying to develop no too long ago. I worked for Lowes for 5 years and they were trying to get approval for a system that could identify you as soon as you walk through the door as well as your credit/debit information. In turn, if you attempted to steal or just didn't care about checking out, it would then identify what items you had on your person and or cart and charged them to your credit/debit cards. Similar to the security system that seems to go off far too often when someone is exiting the stores. Last I heard they had already implemented the technology in to a large number of their products to prepare for it, but I think it was put on a back burner due to the current recession.
  • As a manager of a pizza place. I can officially say "no comment"
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    mustluvcigars:
    As a manager of a pizza place. I can officially say "FREE PIZZA!!!!!!"
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Lasabar:
    mustluvcigars:
    As a manager of a pizza place. I can officially say "FREE PIZZA!!!!!!"
    Thats what I heard too Lassy!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    These things have been getting worse for years. Though I do believe that certain people should be tracked, like hard felons or the likes, but every day people should not. Though I'm against any tracking information. One reason why I hate how everything needs a credit check and social security number. I know I was watching a program on the history channel a while back and there are companies out there working on software that will react from reading their body mechanics to determine if they are dangerous or suspicious. These things are already being used in the UK. It's really scary, I mean the UK has thousands of cameras all over the place, and I've been noticing more and more cameras in my area. This software is just wrong. Some how things like Minority Report seem more like a reality, but instead of physic people, computers will determine who is going to jail based on software.
  • 4bob44bob4 Posts: 212

phobicsquirrel:
    These things are already being used in the UK.

Are they using them in public areas like airports looking for terrorists or places like lowes and such to id thieves?

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    All over man. The tech isn't quite there yet but it's coming.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    The Obama administration is proposing to scale back a long-standing ban on tracking how people use government Internet sites with "cookies" and other technologies, raising alarms among privacy groups.
    ...privacy groups say the proposal amounts to a "massive" and unexplained shift in government policy. In a statement Monday, American Civil Liberties Union spokesman Michael Macleod-Ball said the move could "allow the mass collection of personal information of every user of a federal government website."