Home Non Cigar Related

New pup --- not going as we hoped

jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
Out of town with wife and our dog fri night and yesterday to visit her sister and brother-in-law,,,, (7 hr roundtrip drive) .... they bred their full blood Chesapeake bay retriever before Xmas and now have 9-wk old pure bred puppies. Had 7 in the litter, 3 in homes already, they're keeping 2, so still had 2 left to find homes for.

We been thinking about getting 2nd pup to keep our 3 yr old lab mix company since this new house is all fenced in and ours always plays nice at park & with friends & neighbors dogs..... so went to check out the 2 puppies that were still up for grabs.

Settled on the female after much debate (instead of male) and brought her home......but even though our dog played nice with her at their house, and at her mother-in-laws house (stopped on the way home).....she turned into a $hithead on the car ride after that....
Never seen our "old one" go after a dog before but she tried to attack new pup in the car ride home so wife had to separate them, hold pup up front, old dog in back. Settle down after a little bit, all ok. new pup not hurt, phew thank god.

get home into house, keeping close eye in dogs, sniffing each other on porch, all ok.....then old one goes after pup again....wtf!!!! Separate them, pup shaking, old dog keep trying to go at it,,,, wtf
They've been separated since then, both are ok now, and new pups fine too, wasnt hurt that time either. But wife and i are beyond worried about how our old ones acting, never seen her do this before.. Going to try and reintroduce them tomorrow outside in "neutral territory" at the park and hopefully they get along.....but worried about ours hurting new pup, will see how tomorrow goes, really don't want to take pup back but don't want our dog to hurt her...... Sigh, I'm tired.
....but can't go to sleep (even though its 3 am and im exhasted)....because well, just look whos sleeping on my lap

imageimage

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

Comments

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may have another seven hour round trip drive ahead of you.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    Give it a bit. We had a Chow mix that tried to kill our new Doberman puppy when we brought her home. Not bite it, kill it, he grabbed her by the throat and shook her around like a rag doll. Took a few months, but they became inseparable for the next 10 years.

Dogs are pack animals and like to show who is the alpha dog.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep..it's territory, alpha related.. The old dog had the run of the house and your affection until the intruder showed up. It will take some time to mesh but they should, hopefully before you guys go crazy. Cute though, very cute.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seperating them usually just makes it worse. I had the same problem when My wife brought our dog max home as a pup. When I got home of the boat I just waited till the older dog attacked then I pinned him down on the ground for a few minutes to establish dominance. Never happened again after that. No dog in your house should ever think its the alpha.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Rhamlin:
    Seperating them usually just makes it worse. I had the same problem when My wife brought our dog max home as a pup. When I got home of the boat I just waited till the older dog attacked then I pinned him down on the ground for a few minutes to establish dominance. Never happened again after that. No dog in your house should ever think its the alpha.
    In other words, let all dogs know that you are the alpha. GGRRRRR.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    Rhamlin:
    In other words, let all dogs know that you are the alpha. GGRRRRR.
    Yes yes....Been trying to get that through the oldest dogs head for the last 2.5 yrs since we got her. She forgets, will pin her down, roll her over and 10 min after we let her up she's back at it and forgets she's not in charge. Very stubborn

• macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    First off.... I am a dog snob... purebreds all the way... why? so I know what the major personality defects are coming initially... I have had a similar situation myself... we used the water bottle method... just squirt the agressor in the face prior to major destruction/death. It does not stop the aggresion, just re-directs it for the time being... when they realize that the other is not the enemy that darn bottle is... well YOU win.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol !!! You might have to call the dog whisperer.
  • prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    If you really want to establish dominance, take the older one out in the yard in front of the neighborhood dogs and mount him. Really let him have it, don't hold back. The humiliation will put him in his place for sure.

I will be watching YouTube for the results.

• Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    omg!
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    pross:
    If you really want to establish dominance, take the older one out in the yard in front of the neighborhood dogs and mount him. Really let him have it, don't hold back. The humiliation will put him in his place for sure.

It takes a lot to humiliate most dogs, and then you'll have to deal with the PETA folks, so a different approach might be considered.
    pross:

Did you say...him? Ouch....
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well pross, that's a rather .... unorthodox .... approach.

But older dog got after the pup a few more times yesterday, and old dog still wasn't realizing she's "not the boss" --- so went to take pup back to sister-in-law yesterday.
    Stopped at mother/father-in-laws house on the way there, got talking for a little while ... and they said they'd watch the pup and take it to sister-in-law later last night when she got off work....

....but we got a call from sister-in-law after work and she says they ended up keeping it !!

So that leaves sister-in-law with only 1 pup left to find a home for .... he's a male and a little more energetic than this one was.
    After having that pup for a couple days wife really wants another puppy,,, so debating giving it a shot with the male pup, thinking our older female may work better with him.

Going to keep working with our dog too to let her know she's not "the boss" --- will keep pinning her down and get the squirt bottle out again (used the squirt bottle when she was little, helped a lot).
    Will try to see if we can teach an "old dog new tricks"

I'd take her if I was closer..:(. Hope a new dog works out better for you John.
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Give it some time. If at all possible try to separate them where they can see each other but cannot get to each other. You may want to get a crate for the puppy. This will keep it in a safe environment while the adult can smell/check out the pup but not physically get to it. Just a thought.
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pross:

Wow, lol I would hate to be the neighbor.