Home Non Cigar Related

Makers Mark listens to customers

Comments

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I heard that this morning... See, the people have spoken and their voice was heard.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Thats some news that literally warms my heart
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    On a side note..I had Makers Mark once, and it nearly killed me.
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    That's good to know. I wonder what other distiller's will end up doing because I read that Maker's Mark isn't the only bourbon maker that's going to be affected by the international rise in demand for Kentucky bourbon.
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I think the whole thing was a brilliant PR stunt, like the "New Coke" thing, designed to create buzz through protest-against-change. I had never heard of MM until the story came out, and now with all seemingly huge amount of loyal customers, I feel like trying this stuff.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    very nice! though I don't really like MM all that much (prefer Pendleton) I do think this is really cool. rare these days.
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Smart move on their part. I doubt they have a large share of the spirit market and it is wise for them to hold on to what they have. Sometimes these dumbass companies let egotistical thinking get in the way of KISS; keep it simple stupid.
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love makers mark, especially the 46 bottle.
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    y2pascoe:
    That's good to know. I wonder what other distiller's will end up doing because I read that Maker's Mark isn't the only bourbon maker that's going to be affected by the international rise in demand for Kentucky bourbon.
    The scuttlebut is that we will see a lot more lower proof bourbon until they can catch up with demand, but I'm not sure Makers really qualifies as bourbon. I think it's more like watered down corn molasses instead of whisky.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Love me some Makers Mark , the booze AND the cigar as well !!!
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Dark Roast:
    Smart move on their part. I doubt they have a large share of the spirit market and it is wise for them to hold on to what they have. Sometimes these dumbass companies let egotistical thinking get in the way of KISS; keep it simple stupid.
    This was 100% a work, like New coke before it. Maker's Mark is a Beam Global brand with gigantic piles of money and market share behind it, and Beam already went through a shortage of Knob Creek. They handled it with promotional shirts and the like, not lower proofs. No way this was anything but an attempt to get free publicity and garner goodwill with the "We listen" response. Especially seeing how fast the "mistake" bottles are being re-branded as collectibles. There probably is a shortage/they grew faster than expected, but this was pure marketing hooey.
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jthanatos:
    Dark Roast:
    This was 100% a work, like New coke before it. Maker's Mark is a Beam Global brand with gigantic piles of money and market share behind it, and Beam already went through a shortage of Knob Creek. They handled it with promotional shirts and the like, not lower proofs. No way this was anything but an attempt to get free publicity and garner goodwill with the "We listen" response. Especially seeing how fast the "mistake" bottles are being re-branded as collectibles. There probably is a shortage/they grew faster than expected, but this was pure marketing hooey.
    Well that's good to know, I love makers. Thanks for the input JT
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Talk about lower proof --- You heard about the beef against Bud?
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    jthanatos:
    Dark Roast:
    I've always thought Makers was more of a marketing company than a distillery. They have a cult like following among their customer base, but I have never ever thought much of their whisky.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Talk about lower proof --- You heard about the beef against Bud?
    It all taste like water anyway.

Still drink the stuff, I just have to rotate between light beers. The light they get the more they taste like water. Ever since I fell in love with "micro brews" It's really no comparison.
    As far as the alcohol content stuff, that $hit sucks.

EDIT: fixed it...JDH snuck in between me and webmost. looks like i'm just ranting! :)
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    jthanatos:
    Dark Roast:
    JT-Thanks for the info. Should have figured somone much larger owned them. Once upon a time I worked for a Sara Lee owned company. We were just one of many many companies they owned and operated.
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    Dark Roast:
    I've always thought Makers was more of a marketing company than a distillery. They have a cult like following among their customer base, but I have never ever thought much of their whisky.
    Meh, I actually like Maker's quite a bit, especially their "46" expression. Always on my shelf with Woodford, different pours for different moods. But, much like cigars, everyone likes something different.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    Dark Roast:
    Meh, I actually like Maker's quite a bit, especially their "46" expression. Always on my shelf with Woodford, different pours for different moods. But, much like cigars, everyone likes something different.
    +1 sometimes I want that hint of sweetness Maker's has.