Home Non Cigar Related

Student Rant

AAARRRRRRGGGGGGGG!!!!

In one of my college courses, the computer that I'm using to create 8 different Virtual Computers has suffered A FATAL HARD DRIVE FAILURE!
SH*(%T
It wouldn't be so bad if we weren't just 2 weeks away from the final exams in that course, with one of those weeks beign MARCH BREAK. I am so P(*ssed. 8 weeks of work gone, no way to recover as of yet...worked on it for 3 hours today and still nothing :(

Sorry, I had to rant. The school closes for March break on Friday and the exam is the first day back from the break. I need those Virtual Computers for the practical....which ran 16 hours last year. What a mess. Fudge!!!!!!

Comments

• BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez that really does suck! I hope the best for you and that it all works out.
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Man that does suck. Hope you can recover data. If I could help I would offer but I am clueless when it comes to computers. Best of luck.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RAID
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    that sucks man.

what disk recovery programs have you used?

is it clicking shot or does it spin up, but isn't recognized?
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    That stinks like my feet!

Glad I'm finished with grad school for a while...PhD is a 4 letter word in our house, and a professional degree instead of an academic one will wait until the kids are done with school and my loans are paid off.

I hope you're able to recover at least some of what you need. I haven't programmed since FORTRAN my sophomore year in HS, but I still feel your pain.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    brianetz1:
    that sucks man.

what disk recovery programs have you used?

is it clicking shot or does it spin up, but isn't recognized?
    The recovery isn't up to me. It's a College system, and I don't have admin priveleges on the machine. This is what was done so far:
    Boot into safe mode with networking
    Use Xcopy to copy all Virtual Machines for my account to a network share
    Copy from network share into a different computer
    Fire up some new Virtual Computers and use the existing VHD's (virtual hard drives)
    Boot up the virtual machines and they did boot, but all networking was gone, and the Domain Controller no longer had the Roles associated with it.

It seems that the "snapshots" did not transfer to the other computer = can't connect the network to make all the computers talk to each other.

I will find out more in the morning. The real issue is that these virtual computers were running a full blown OUTLOOK email server, as well as Threat Management Gateway as a router and Edge server (Never in the real world, but for school it simplifies things). Once you break the networking link between these computers, they never like each other. Looks like I'm spending the weekend at the college re-building these servers from scratch so I can do the practical exam after the March break OR maybe the teacher fixed it? LOL

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    that really is not cool, sorry man. I used to back all my files up with a portable hard drive or thumb drive, never trusted their computers.