Home Non Cigar Related

Good Morning Campers

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
Oh jeez! Drew and I have been exchanging PMs about craving camping and it's got us all up and camping crazed. Can not stinkin wait until it's effin SPRING to sleep out in the woods. Here's my favorite sleeping place:
There's a brook on the left and a crick on the right, and they meet just past the foot of that last tree. Gurgle gurgle all night. Hope you can hold your water.

Here's how I get there:
That's Biffy Bullfrog. You can clearly see her EZ-Pass rack, her hat rack, her duct tape rack, and her sub sandwich tube; and if you look close, you can just make out the corner of her GPZ (Global Positioning Ziplock) duct taped to her tank. Her cigar rack is obscured. She is even more farkled now.

Post your camping pics, so we can get even more heartsick for Spring.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't have a copy of my favorite camping pic. It's a picture of me in the backwoods of Yosemite in the fall after an 8 hour hike at a good altitude. I'm covered in a steamy cloud of evaporating sweat that's recondensing as it hits the cold air.

I might have some pictures of my family's last camping trip; but it was just car camping in MO along the Current River. I might not have them, though; they were in my phone, which was in my pocket when I fell in a lake while trying to run across a log to get in a position to snap a photo of my son coming across a zipline at a Scouting event. Lots of pics got lost.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Man I cant wait to start camping again. This is not helping at all.
  • macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    Did all my camping in the Army ... but wife is wanting to RV that I could do again... thinking a larger pull behind .. not a 5th wheel. We are seriously thinking about this.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I'm a regular on the camping circuit. I will post a few pics later. The great thing about camping down here is the season never ends.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    macs-smokes:
    Did all my camping in the Army ... but wife is wanting to RV that I could do again... thinking a larger pull behind .. not a 5th wheel. We are seriously thinking about this.
    That's not camping. Cripes. You don't go camping dragging a house round with you.

Like I told Drew: Camping is not about what you bring; it's about what you leave behind.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I've worn out 3 sleeping bags during my short 56 years. I once calculated that I had spent over 11 months sleeping on the ground over the years (boy scouts, Geology, etc.) And I can tell you that there is nothing better than to return to camp after a long day hiking by kicking off your boots, gloves, hats, etc., and then standing under a hot shower followed by a quick nap on a real bed in a climate controlled RV. Hehe.
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    I hear you on the camping thing! More snow comming down today and no end in sight. Here is some of what I'm looking forward to in May or June when the snow is all gone:

• macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    beatnic:
    I've worn out 3 sleeping bags during my short 56 years. I once calculated that I had spent over 11 months sleeping on the ground over the years (boy scouts, Geology, etc.) And I can tell you that there is nothing better than to return to camp after a long day hiking by kicking off your boots, gloves, hats, etc., and then standing under a hot shower followed by a quick nap on a real bed in a climate controlled RV. Hehe.
    Amen... Boy Scouts, Army, Idiot Infantry Captain in Motor Pool..... No rocks in back for me.
    The Florida Keys

Wider shot of same campsite

Ocala National Forest camping image
    Ocala National Forest

Ocala National Forest

Ocala National Forest

The Grand Lagoon from my campsite at St Andrews Bay

The beach at St Andrews

fla-gypsy:
    I have the Keystone Hornet - same layout. As I tell everyone its' perfect for 2 adults and a dog.
    beatnic:
    fla-gypsy:
    I have the Keystone Hornet - same layout. As I tell everyone its' perfect for 2 adults and a dog.
    it is very comfortable.
    The Tent Hotel. Our set up.
    No running water or electricity. And the best part...NO PHONE SERVICE!
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that's more like it. You other guys with the RVs, that's not camping, that's just parking. You're not fooling anyone.

On another subject though, Drew was asking me how I keep cigars cool when camping. Apparently, up there in the land of skeeters they camp hot. I know, I don't get it either. Me, I head for the Blue Ridge or the Appalachians. Anyhoo, he has a prob with his stogies getting cooked. I suggested a stream or a wet rag in the wind. Then just yesterday, I spotted this lying in the drive thru at the bank:

Appears to be a chill tube from Walmart. Just about eight inch long and an inch diameter. Pop it in the freezer and then in a cooler bag with some cigars. Picked it up. Haven't tried it. Anyone here have a method to keep your sticks from getting heat beat on a camping trip? Thermos? Coolie bag?

• mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    That's cool Davis and should work i would imagine. Herfadors should be waterproof, so I imagine you could anchor your herfador in a creek as well! Never tried it, but if you wanna with your sticks, I'd be interested in the results.....LOL, good luck!
    webmost:
    Now that's more like it. You other guys with the RVs, that's not camping, that's just parking. You're not fooling anyone.

On another subject though, Drew was asking me how I keep cigars cool when camping. Apparently, up there in the land of skeeters they camp hot. I know, I don't get it either. Me, I head for the Blue Ridge or the Appalachians. Anyhoo, he has a prob with his stogies getting cooked. I suggested a stream or a wet rag in the wind. Then just yesterday, I spotted this lying in the drive thru at the bank:

Appears to be a chill tube from Walmart. Just about eight inch long and an inch diameter. Pop it in the freezer and then in a cooler bag with some cigars. Picked it up. Haven't tried it. Anyone here have a method to keep your sticks from getting heat beat on a camping trip? Thermos? Coolie bag?

Not so much a problem. Last year was the first year I took "real" cigars with me. I was so cigar young at the time I didnt even think about it. Now better and I'm looking for solutions. I was thinking cooler but... I just dont know about mixing the gars and food. They might think i'm insane if I brought a cooler just for cigars. If thats what it takes...Im insane.
    Funny I never have a problem keeping my cigars cool while camping. I guess it is the air conditioning, Bwaa haa haa
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    im ready to go camping... i go a few different ways car/tent/camper but my tent is now dead and i dont feel like buying another.

my "car camping"setup-
    i do miss my suburban for car camping, so much more comfortable, but it couldnt get into near as many places as my little cherokee can!

i cant find any pictures of the family camper, but this is a pic of a nearly identical model (this just has the outdoor kitchen at the back instead of storage and another bunk.)-
    I call that a picnic. LOL
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    this has gotten me thinking so ive been working on some penny stoves, too bad im out of fuel so i cant test em. I have 3 different ones im wanting to test, ive used v1.0 once and it was okay, but im really wanting to try the smaller ones ive made. Sorry the pictures are so big, photobucket is not letting me resise pictures for some reason.