Home Cigar 101

How do they measure ring gauge on box pressed cigars?

4bob44bob4 Posts: 212
I was wondering this the other day when someone mentioned the I-press (can't remember the maker). It appeared that looking at the cigar from the head or foot it would be a rectangle. How do they determine ring gauge for box pressed cigars? The I-press? Flat side to flat side? Corner to Corner? What it was before it was pressed? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if im not mistaken (and i may be i dont have a source on this one) it is the ring gauge before it is pressed into the box.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    kuzi16:
    if im not mistaken (and i may be i dont have a source on this one) it is the ring gauge before it is pressed into the box.

BINGO was his NAMe OOOOOO
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    I found this out not too long ago.
    Education

cigar70:
    • What is ring gauge and how is it measured? Ring size is the cigar's diameter, measured in 64ths of an inch. Thus a 32 ring cigar will measure 1/2 inch in diameter. Although many catalogs list ring sizes, they may deviate from each by a couple of points on specific cigars.

I'm not sure how credible the site is, but it seems pretty accurate. I couldn't find anything when I read it about box pressed cigars though.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    It is only logical to think that the ring of a box pressed cigar is measured before the pressing. How often do you get a box pressed cigar that says it is a 54 ring gauge and looks more like a 50 at best? :)
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    yea, imagine trying to measure the I-press.... It'd read like a stick of lumber.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    cabinetmaker:
    yea, imagine trying to measure the I-press.... It'd read like a stick of lumber.
    Wonder if they will custom mill one for you...."I'd like a 3/4" x 7/8" x 9 5/8" I-Press please...better make it a whole pallet."
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    cabinetmaker:
    Wonder if they will custom mill one for you...."I'd like a 3/4" x 7/8" x 9 5/8" I-Press please...better make it a whole pallet."
    If only...
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    cabinetmaker:
    HA!
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bumping this based on a vHerf conversation in progress.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

You broke the forum with this post...the one "new" post from you won't clear fore no matter what I do!

Don't look ↑
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

forum immortality!

• VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank same here.